Chronic Fatigue

Misshalfway

I just read a fabulous book...."From Fatigued to Fantastic" and it really helped me construct an action plan.

I first addressed the sleep issue and have been taking something to help me fall and stay asleep. In the last month, I have been sleeping better and I do feel a difference. I have also changed my supplements and I think that is starting to make a difference too. The emotional component is so confusing and frustrating to me. I sometimes think it is physiological and should fight it in that realm and other times I am sure I need to address emotional issues. But then I remind myself that I already know the issues and have addressed them. So....back to the physiology.

Anyway, I talked to my Dr. about all of this. He isn't helpful. I kinda feel like my own Dr. at this point. But I would like to find a Dr. that my insurance will cover. I did find one Dr. in Provo but going would have been very expensive so I didn't do it. Figured I could try to follow the book until another Dr. was found.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear of what you are going through MissHalfway. As I read your words it took me quickly back maybe 10+ years ago when I was in a bad way. It was three years before that when I too was going through a bunch of tests. It was when I was going through a series of RA tests that I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I read up on it and became very very depressed and decided I needed to embrace this part of my life. I became a couch dweller and not much more. I had people contacting me some who knew people with it and others who wanted to take care of me. I hated the way I was looked upon by others and after about 8 long months of pure suffering I decided to take it day by day and listen to my body. I put all of the books away and began to live again. I am not saying that my story will work for everyone but slowly, ever so slowly I began to feel a bit better. My doctor but my on gyfension which is an expectorant in high doses and I drank a lot of water. I would say no to some things when asked and I learned to accept that I could not be 100% everyday but I would shoot for the moon and if I could reach the stars I was satisfied. I had the issue of Candida and it was so hard for me to break the sugar habit but with that I also felt some relieve. I also had endometriosis, which was causing me a great deal of pain, and I required surgery twice to get rid of that pain and I have not looked back. I am glad you are taking the Prozac I believe it can help a lot and sleep will not only help with your mood and pain but also your weight.

My heart goes out to you MissHalf. Let me express to you that there is light at the end of the tunnel and you have friends who love you.

Hugs, SF

Dear Miss,

I'm sorry its taken me to long to get the list of books. I forgot. One of the many symptoms of CFIDS and FMS is brain fog. I've been extremely foggy this winter.

I'm happy you found Dr. Teitelbaum's book. I take B12 injections and they help a lot.

Two other books that you might fing helpful are:

A Delicate Balance by Susan Milstrey Wells

and

Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome by Dr. Devin Starlanyl & Mary Ellen Copeland. Its in its second edition and address Chronic Fatigue. They have a second book called The Fibromyalgia Advocate. Its good too.

Dr. Starlanyl has a website and her books can be found used at Amazon.com I usually have at least two copies so that I can loan one out and still have one to refer to.

I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time. Winter with the storms and weather changes really beat me up.

You are in my prayers,

applepansy

I just read a fabulous book...."From Fatigued to Fantastic" and it really helped me construct an action plan.

I first addressed the sleep issue and have been taking something to help me fall and stay asleep. In the last month, I have been sleeping better and I do feel a difference. I have also changed my supplements and I think that is starting to make a difference too.

I read this book also and tried several supplements. It was helpful in constructing a personal wellness plan but D-ribose did not 'restart' my hypothalamus as he had suggested. I had better results with an all natural vitamin and mineral, and adrenal gland booster which I purchased from the health food store. I am very interested in your progress, as I have a relative who is still suffering a lot with CF, Fibromyalgia, and Endo. Thanks! Edited by HerbalLady

Anyway, I talked to my Dr. about all of this. He isn't helpful. I kinda feel like my own Dr. at this point. But I would like to find a Dr. that my insurance will cover. I did find one Dr. in Provo but going would have been very expensive so I didn't do it. Figured I could try to follow the book until another Dr. was found.

I'm sorry you're struggling with these issues. They are not fun. It's so very important to have a doctor who understans and is willing to help and be on your side.

If you can't see Dr. Lucinda Bateman maybe her staff has a list of physicians who are sympathetic to CFIDS and FMS. I know Dr. Bateman spends 1/2 her time educating physicans on these illnesses.

Here are some websites that you might find helpful:

CFIDS

I also have a presentation Dr. Bateman gave about communicating with your physician. If you're interested send me a message and I'll be happy to email it to you.

Another source to find a good doctor is O.F.F.E.R. They are a support group in SLC for FMS and CFIDS. Their website is Welcome to the OFFER Website

I hope you find the help you're looking for. You're not alone.

applepansy

Here is something I didn't know. Laren Hillenbrand the author of Seabiscuit is CFS. Here's a link to her story.

Michelle Akers is another person who was flattened by Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

In 1991, Michelle Akers was at the top of her game. She had been named the best woman soccer player in the world and had become the first woman player to have a paid endorsement. Yet after leading her team to victory for the first FIFA Women's Soccer World Championship in China, Michelle returned home completely exhausted. She rested and changed her diet. However, as time progressed, the fatigue headaches, gastrointestinal imbalance and metabolism problems progressed as well. Two years after the initial symptoms began, Michelle collapsed during a game at the Olympic Sports Festival in San Antonio, Texas. Diagnoses progressed from mononucleosis to Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and finally, in the spring of 1994, to Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome (CFIDS).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apple, are you saying you've already seen Dr. Bateman?

I started seeing her in 2002, and I'll never forget falling apart in her office, and her telling me "you need someone who will stick with you." I lost it then, because that was exactly what I needed, but for the previous two years, no doctor would do that.

Apple's already given Dr. Bateman's credentials, so there's no point to me repeating them.

But her compassion was an integral part of our relationship, and with each subsequent appointment, I began to realize she really did care, and that she would support me, making sure I understood her instructions regarding meds, etc. She knew I was alone in this nightmare, and that I could not face my disease on my own. Between my pain, my fibro fog and my severe depression at contracting CFS, I was completely shut down and non-functional.

She stuck with me for four years, and always gave me the time I needed to help me. Utah is extremely lucky to have her because most of the experts live on the coasts (though not all).

I don't see her anymore because we both decided I needed to go to a pain clinic. But she was the first doctor who did stick with me, and supported me throughout the worst years of my life.

Combined with her nationally-known expertise, I am one of the very fortunate people who had her as my doctor, and that is not a little thing.

She's also a little spitfire, and I loved that about her.

I consider Dr. Bateman a friend, and the best doctor you could ever have if you have these debilitating diseases. If you're seeing her Apple, let me know and I'll give you my name so you can say hi to her.

Elphaba

FFTF literally exhausted me when I tried to read it. I think it is wonderful you read it and were able to implement it in your struggle with fatigue.

The most helpful part of the book, for me, was its emphasis on the thyroid, and how just a TSH test did not catch all thyroid issues, including hypothyroidism, which is responsible for many people's severe fatigue.

If you have thyroid issues, this site is an excellent resource, especially if your CFS is connected to it.

On the other hand, you can get information overload, and not know where to start, which is exhausting with CFS. Eventually I was able to break it down and apply the information to my situation.

Good luck, and please keep us informed about your experience with FFTF.

Elphaba

FFTF literally exhausted me when I tried to read it. I think it is wonderful you read it and were able to implement it in your struggle with fatigue.

The most helpful part of the book, for me, was its emphasis on the thyroid, and how just a TSH test did not catch all thyroid issues, including hypothyroidism, which is responsible for many people's severe fatigue.

If you have thyroid issues, this site is an excellent resource, especially if your CFS is connected to it.

On the other hand, you can get information overload, and not know where to start, which is exhausting with CFS. Eventually I was able to break it down and apply the information to my situation.

Good luck, and please keep us informed about your experience with FFTF.

Elphaba

I agree. Mary Shoman has done her homework. Her site is very helpful for the patient seeking to the newly diagnosed to the one just keeping up on research.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this stuff, partly because I am at least on the periferal edge of this. Although I would write a book if I'm not careful, I would like to boil down the things that I have found most helpful, especially since I have found one thing recently that was like the on switch for everything else.

I have been able to reduce the symptoms to be short of intolerable for quite a few years, but the symptoms related to candida and adrenal exhaustion seemed to match most closely in my own reading, hypoglycemia symptoms have been in the past, but my instinct knew it was in digestion where the problem existed, or that had to be conquered first to see what was next. In the last 2 weeks I feel like I am in completely new territory. I will boil down what I am doing that works, some of which are hard for people who haven't crossed the line to gluten free, for instance. Yikes, I know, wheat for man. If wheat is for man, it is a puzzle I am working on now, because wheat doesn't seem to be for man. Possibly the change in strains to the higher gluten strains in the late 1800s makes the difference, I'm not sure. Wheat is a tough food. The fiber is like sand paper, the gluten is difficult to digest and doesn't contribute to the health of a person with a compromised GI tract. Having done SCD, specific carbohydrate diet, and being back to just simple gluten free, this is opens almost the whole world back up to me relatively speaking. Gluten free, almost like being allergic to my religion really, but nothing else I do is very helpful without it. I have a testimony of the gospel, which doesn't mean the WoW is quite as cut and dried to me as to many people. Tannic acid is among the reasons why we don't drink tea? Tannins also give wheat and flax their color, etc. People I know instinctively put things besides wheat in their food storage, something in them knows that's a rough go to switch over. Best explanation I heard is if we are told not to drink orange juice on Wednesday, we don't drink orange juice on Wednesday. We obey without understanding sometimes. So, if you're still reading, here are the other things I have found.

Full spectrum enzymes. I focus on lactase, maltase, AND sucrase/invertase. Sucrase tends to be missing, find one with this and it seems the protein enzymes take care of themselves. I have had best success so far with Natrol Digest Support, 2 or 3 per meal. Sometimes I will sprinkle it in a protein shake to spread it out.

The latest thing for me that seems to have unlocked yet another door is New Chapter Candida Take Care. If you read about Candida, you will find it is kind of ghostly. I view it a little like an evil spirit. Not everyone believes in them, and those that do have very different ideas on how to deal with it with varying degrees of results. The symptoms are hard to identify and not necessarily related until you turn it down and notice a lot of unrelated symptoms drop down, for me, heaviness of emotion and thought, toward depression that I could keep the edge off, a little anxiety, er, earwax? Yes, even that went down, dandruff, weird stuff that I would not have put together, For me, the switch was New Chapter Candida Take Care. I was on another boost where I was ready to learn and try new things again, health people gave great reviews of that product and now I have to offer the same great review. Baby's bad breath cleared after about day 4, half a capsule morning and night in her yogurt, she and I both sleep through the night much better and more reliably, I eat a lot of complex starches now without the debilitating brain cloud and feeling of my brain being directly attacked, good weight has quickly returned. I can only suggest that people struggling with fatigue be aware of this and if it rings your bell, to give it a try. There is no die off, which I am familiar enough with, it just has compounds that take away Candida's ability to stick, so it drops out.

I also have food grade hydrogen peroxide on the way. Search the web for food grade hydrogen peroxide. Very controversial, but there are doctors I have chosen to believe over the years and David Williams is one of them. His article will pop to the top of the food grade h202 search if interested. Be aware it's caustic and dangerous, always dilute as directed and pay attention to what is going on, but the oxygen appears to feed the good bacteria and be bad for the bad bacteria. Also though Oxygen is the original oxidizer, hence the name, so can be damaging as is obvious in higher concentrations. I expect to have a report on that shortly as well.

Here is my short list for energy, some not listed above.

Lindbergh CoQ10 from nutritionexpress, get the gel cap, poke a pin in it and squeeze into a shake and pulverize into a thousand pieces if you are serious about getting the energy out of it. Powdered should be pre-dissolved in an omega 3 supplement, will be almost as good. Even predissolved in Canola can help, but Omega 3-6-9 is better.

Coenzyme active B Complex, I like the ones from wellnessresources

Full Spectrum digestive enzymes. For me if it doesn't have sucrase/invertase, I don't notice any benefit to speak of, people of course are different on this front, but that is one of the keys for me.

Omega 3, not flax oil since it seems to feed Candida directly like gasoline on a fire, people who know know immediately. Fish oil or vegetarian DHA is better. I only met one person who had instant and severe anxiety from Omega 3 oils, but I had read it could happen and they matched that exactly, also knew they had IBS which to me clearly explained the whole reaction.

Oh, right, probiotics, I make my own yogurt, but Garden of Life Primal Defense is a powerful one with S. Boulardii to get rid of other pathogens like C difficile.

Finally, the latest addition, New Chapter Candida Take Care. Would be hard to prioritize, but speaking generally and cheaply I would do Candida Take Care and enzymes along with gluten free, realizing perfectly well that almost everything is a curve ball and everyone is different. That is cheaper and gets to the heart of the battle in my opinion. My face is clearing and filling out, almost don't recognize myself in the mirror. I just noticed I have spent my life not being sensitive to cold, last year or so I have been, but now I am in my basement, not cold at all sitting here like I would have been in the past. Hopefully for someone looking and interested there is something useful here or at least loose threads to pick and see where they lead you. I can claim a reasonable degree of success from these, of course just how I do gluten free is outside of this and probably is at least partly relevant. I have experienced a lot more freedom with Candida Take Care, more latitude, great addition for me, making other specifics a little less relevant or required in how I eat. Check online for the best prices, $18 per bottle is the best I found, get 2 for the 21 day program. I am on day 15. Sorry for all the words, hard for me to not get carried away on some things. Good luck.

Excellent posts.

Isn't chronic fatigue due to the mind first versus the overall wellness of the body? By sending out out signals that you are tired, time for rest. Right? Now, if that is case, anything that could refire the neurons would be beneficial as long it is not habitual or chemically poison surrounding brain tissue. What over the counter items can produce such an affect after we learn to have a proper diet, exercise, and activity work the brain?

What over the counter items can produce such an affect after we learn to have a proper diet, exercise, and activity work the brain?

What makes you think we don't have a proper diet or exercise? Because we're still sick?

Both my wife and I currently having this problem.

You two may be extremely tired and even exhausted, but you do not have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If you did, you'd understand that diet and exercise do not cure the disease.

I think the problem is the word "fatigue." People see it and think "tired," when "tired" doesn't come close to describe the constant bone-crushing exhaustion, weakness, shakiness, and inability to think through what literally feels like a "fog" in your brain.

In fact, what I just wrote is still too far from my experience of the "fatigue." I never seem to have the words to describe it, and it exhausts me to try and find them.

Elphaba

What makes you think we don't have a proper diet or exercise? Because we're still sick?

You two may be extremely tired and even exhausted, but you do not have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If you did, you'd understand that diet and exercise do not cure the disease.

I think the problem is the word "fatigue." People see it and think "tired," when "tired" doesn't come close to describe the constant bone-crushing exhaustion, weakness, shakiness, and inability to think through what literally feels like a "fog" in your brain.

In fact, what I just wrote is still too far from my experience of the "fatigue." I never seem to have the words to describe it, and it exhausts me to try and find them.

Elphaba

Elphaba, Thank you for trying to explain CFS. I've never found adequate words to describe the "fatigue" of CFS or the "pain" of Fibromyalgia.

Have you read the "Spoon Theory"? It is the story of how one woman tried to explain the fatigue to her friend.

applepansy

Me again. For autoimmune of any kind, at least be aware of CMO. It can reset elements of the immune system to stop pain from happening if it is immune related. My ankle that I broke that hurt for a year and a half, achilles because I yanked it, toothpick of bone off the front because that's how it snapped when if flexed that way, and a crack up the side of the ankle. Not world record, but hurt a year and a half later. Look it up. The story is here. healthenlightenment.com/Dr-Jeffs-Joint-Cream.shtml

For my part, brain fox is lifting, new in last 2 weeks, New Chapter Candida Take Care being the most significant recent addition. Hydrogen Peroxide in the concentrations I am taking it should be as safe as rain water, since it is found there and contributes to part of the cleaning activity of the rain.

I am doing it is the point. Old stuff has a place, that cranberry extract is quite the addition. Be aware of how to eat to not encourage Candida to grow. For instance, since I feel better and don't have immediate bad reactions to counteract my tastebuds, potato chips are now simply delicious and have a delayed reaction before they get me, so I eat more junk and shoot myself in the foot a little. It is like there is a level I subconsciously set at, and any progress gives latitude for a little cheating. Potato chips have simple starch that Candida love, and monounsaturated oil, which also is like pouring gasoline on the fire.

Although I wrestle with this, I am not nearly where some of you are that are posting here, so I feel that I do have something to contribute, but the cranberry extract is one of the best, and maybe more expensive, and has helped consistently for almost 3 weeks now. Cleaned the house 2 Saturdays in a row? Come on! That's progress. I have gone months tidying up little spots while letting other things get out of hand. Here is another link that can help you understand an element of what you wrestle with, although nothing is ever this easy.

Search Supplements, Health Topics, and News on WellnessResources.com

Health Classes with Byron J. Richards - Weight Loss, Supplements, Natural News - Wellness Resources

Main template

Although the specific carbohydrate diet was hard on me, and I might not actually recommend it, the knowledge contained there is of value. It helps see the illusion of what you think food is, versus what it turns into inside of you when acted upon by one bacteria or another. When this is resolved, your food can start feeding you. You can clear out the viruses, many tools available, my credentials are my success, and they are going up. Besides that, I do technical support for a living. I realize people don't look these all up and read them, but I put them here anyway. What you are looking for will grab you, whether here, somewhere else, or not at all.

To boil it down, cranberry extract, digestive enzymes, nothing to report on the hydrogen peroxide yet, but I don't mind in the concentrations I have used so far. Here are my two reference points on this one.

The Many Benefits of Hydrogen Peroxide By Dr. David G. Williams

I had a subscription to David Williams newsletter for 2 years, he has been most helpful for me.

For those of you with a stomach ache that goes with this, go to the store, get the greenest bananas you can find, peel them, use a knife if you have to, slice them and put them in your oven with a 60 watt light bulb for a day or two, let the dry, and eat a couple of slices here and there. That almost completely shut down my stomach discomforts. Learned that from him as well, speaking of his subscription.

And one more site for hydrogen peroxide suggestions as I am comparing the two to see what rings ok inside me.

answers

So, staying up late here, knowing I can add at least 20% to most people struggling with this, or the knowledge I have been applying has broad success. At least I can try. Lots of info here, I know I only skim other links on this site myself, but I'm trying. Good luck all, and let me know your best stuff too. I don't feel I have arrived. One more step.

After years of counselling people with my illness I firmly believe that it is a collection of illnesses not all will have the same cause.

And to a point exercise and diet can help, especially in the early stages my early stages started when I was a child, and I know it helped that I was given a healthy diet and I pushed myself but it can get to the stage where you can no longer push back

-Charley

Elgama, I agree that its a combination of diseases and that diet/exercise can be helpful. When I can force myself to eat right long enough I do feel better, and when I can force myself out of bed long enough I have less pain. Unfortunately, I get sick after cooking, and I get dizzy when I am moving around too much. There is more to it for me than I've explained here, but. . .

Its a frustrating set of symptoms. Once the autoimmune response kicks in everything becomes more difficult. At least for me.

applepansy

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/navigation/BYDLS-TheSpoonTheory.pdf

I love the spoon theory as well - I do agree Ap that there is a wall and it can't be passed physically, I have found some relief learning to use my slow cooker because I can cook large amounts when I am well, but as a family we spend a lot of money eating out.

I have given up and started looking at how to combat my condition with spiritual methods, through meditation and prayer, asking everyday for angels to hold me up I took that from this talk in conference:

The Ministry of Angels I am having to learn that I cannot do anything alone but that I can ask for help both here on Earth and in Heaven

-Charley

Edited by Elgama

Does anyone know anything about Chronic Fatigue and what things help to manage it or to make it better?

Thanks!

Everyone else has done an admirable job providing knowledge; I thought I'd just toss in my mom's survivor story, and ways she helped overcome Chronic Fatigue.

First of all, she was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (an actual medical condition; I don't know if you have that or not) back in the late 1990's. She had not married well, and my dad didn't do anything to help her around the house or with the kids while she was a full-time mom, ran her own business, taught art classes, etc. It caught up with her and she was bedridden for 2 years.

After that, she was able to get up and move around with the help of a walker/wheelchair. She was determined to overcome the illness, and was given many priesthood blessings at her own behest. She struggled onward, but the healing process didn't begin until she reevaluated what she was doing in her life, and comparing her own lifestyle to that prescribed by scripture. One verse in particular, D&C 10:4, helped her a lot:

D&C 10:4 Do not run faster or labor more than you have strength and means... but be diligent unto the end

As she grew spiritually through prayer, she was able to heal completely! Remarkably, the healing process occurred during a period of great personal upheaval: she got divorced, moved twice (once across country), worked full time (running a daycare from her home!), was a full time mom, and went back to school. The real catalyst for healing was the focusing of her most vital energies into the living of the Gospel inasmuch as she was able.

MissHalfway,

I agree, regardless of what else we do to get better, making our Heavenly Father part of the process is essential.

This past year I volunteered at the temple every week for four hours, it was the only four hours of the week where I felt fine. I spent the rest of the week stopping myself from calling and quitting because the pain and fatigue was worse. But come Thursday at 2pm I'd start getting ready. By the time I would get the temple I'd be a little better. By the time I changed and got to where I worked I was fine. And I stayed fine until I changed my clothes and started to walk out to the car. By the time I would get to the car, my legs and feet were so painful it was difficult to drive home. This happened every time. After several months I started noticing that I was able to do more at home. Working at the temple was my Occupationsl Therapy.

With the Lord's help all things are possible.

applepansy

Everyone else has done an admirable job providing knowledge; I thought I'd just toss in my mom's survivor story, and ways she helped overcome Chronic Fatigue.

First of all, she was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (an actual medical condition; I don't know if you have that or not) back in the late 1990's. She had not married well, and my dad didn't do anything to help her around the house or with the kids while she was a full-time mom, ran her own business, taught art classes, etc. It caught up with her and she was bedridden for 2 years.

After that, she was able to get up and move around with the help of a walker/wheelchair. She was determined to overcome the illness, and was given many priesthood blessings at her own behest. She struggled onward, but the healing process didn't begin until she reevaluated what she was doing in her life, and comparing her own lifestyle to that prescribed by scripture. One verse in particular, D&C 10:4, helped her a lot:

As she grew spiritually through prayer, she was able to heal completely! Remarkably, the healing process occurred during a period of great personal upheaval: she got divorced, moved twice (once across country), worked full time (running a daycare from her home!), was a full time mom, and went back to school. The real catalyst for healing was the focusing of her most vital energies into the living of the Gospel inasmuch as she was able.

thanks...:D