You're single because....

beefche

prioritize other interests? i think that's hardly the case.. some of us are forced to pursue other interests because marriage is elusive..

case in point: i met my ex-bf during college.. he left for his mission and i waited for him.. there was talk of marriage.. when he returned, we came up with a plan - we were to save and he was to build a relationship with my family. i quit my masters so i can focus more on the plan, because i prioritized marriage.. however, things didn't go so well..he didn't stick to the plan..he rarely visited me..i was the one looking for means so we will see each other..he changes his course of action on a whim and it seems he never gives any thought as to how it would affect me, affect us..he quit school..he didn't exert much effort in finding work..bottomline is, i felt like i was doing all the work.. i was devastated.. so what do i do? i break up with him..better get a heartbreak this early than spend eternity with someone who gave me no thought..AND then i go back to my masters..

i am applying for graduate school.. but something is holding me back..

maybe the fear that i would "intimidate" the guys i meet and i end up alone..

i hear feedback from friends and cousins.. they say i'm a spinster in the making with my pursuits.. but is it this hard to meet someone? should i pretend i'm dumb and that i don't have any opinions? should i shortchange myself from improving myself?

will i eventually place myself "out of the race" too? or do i settle instead?

but i hold my case about pursuing interests.. IT IS NEVER BECAUSE MARRIAGE IS IN THE BOTTOM OF OUR LIST.. MARRIAGE IS ACTUALLY ON TOP OF OUR LIST but when a girl remains unmarried, what is there left to do?

You never settle. You continue to improve yourself, pursue your goals and education.

Read and listen to Sheri Dew. Not only has she had experience she talks about her experiences with singleness. Her books and talks on CD are wonderful and hopeful.

Never give up.

applepansy

prioritize other interests? i think that's hardly the case.. some of us are forced to pursue other interests because marriage is elusive..

case in point: i met my ex-bf during college.. he left for his mission and i waited for him.. there was talk of marriage.. when he returned, we came up with a plan - we were to save and he was to build a relationship with my family. i quit my masters so i can focus more on the plan, because i prioritized marriage.. however, things didn't go so well..he didn't stick to the plan..he rarely visited me..i was the one looking for means so we will see each other..he changes his course of action on a whim and it seems he never gives any thought as to how it would affect me, affect us..he quit school..he didn't exert much effort in finding work..bottomline is, i felt like i was doing all the work.. i was devastated.. so what do i do? i break up with him..better get a heartbreak this early than spend eternity with someone who gave me no thought..AND then i go back to my masters..

i hear feedback from friends and cousins.. they say i'm a spinster in the making with my pursuits.. but is it this hard to meet someone? should i pretend i'm dumb and that i don't have any opinions? should i shortchange myself from improving myself?

but i hold my case about pursuing interests.. IT IS NEVER BECAUSE MARRIAGE IS IN THE BOTTOM OF OUR LIST.. MARRIAGE IS ACTUALLY ON TOP OF OUR LIST but when a girl remains unmarried, what is there left to do?

Settling is wrong. You have to be attracted to someone and love them. That having been said, there are two things I have noticed about people who tend to have that excuse (Including me).

1) People often have ridiculous ideals. Do you want a guy with a Master's degree? Get a Master's yourself. Do you want a wealthy guy? Be wealthy yourself. Do you want a model? Be a model yourself. If you want all of these things, make sure to have them all yourself. Want a millionaire RM Doctor/model? Be a millionaire RM Doctor/model.

2) People often don't know how to compromise to live with other people. There's a woman I know who's unmarried and uses this same argument: That she won't settle. The truth is, that only guys with no self esteem ask her out because she is loud and demanding at all times and never admits she's wrong. She once asked why I hadn't asked her out and I said, "You are one of the most fun people I've ever met as long as people don't disagree with you. Then, you are a nightmare on two legs."

She laughed and admitted it was true. ;)

thanks for the affirmation. i am actually adapting a new outlook - that is never to settle.. and never to shortchange myself from the kind of relationship that is worth pursuing

( my institute teacher would always remind us that we never marry just because it is a commandment. we ought to marry because there is love)

of course, i am well aware that one can never find a perfect relationship.. but i am optimistic, because a prophet (though I don't remember which one..) said - that a righteous man and a righteous woman can make a relationship work if both are willing to pay the price.

what is tricky though.. is finding the "right" person..

so in the meanwhile, i will pursue other interests... like my education, for example... but i'm hoping that along the way, i meet someone who would be congenial.. and who knows.. maybe, just maybe.. i won't be single for long...

:P

thanks for the affirmation. i am actually adapting a new outlook - that is never to settle.. and never to shortchange myself from the kind of relationship that is worth pursuing

( my institute teacher would always remind us that we never marry just because it is a commandment. we ought to marry because there is love)

of course, i am well aware that one can never find a perfect relationship.. but i am optimistic, because a prophet (though I don't remember which one..) said - that a righteous man and a righteous woman can make a relationship work if both are willing to pay the price.

what is tricky though.. is finding the "right" person..

so in the meanwhile, i will pursue other interests... like my education, for example... but i'm hoping that along the way, i meet someone who would be congenial.. and who knows.. maybe, just maybe.. i won't be single for long...

:P

I say you go around from person to person saying, "We have been commanded to multiply and replenish the earth! Marry me!"

Eventually, it'll work. My plan is pretty much the perfect plan.

I say you go around from person to person saying, "We have been commanded to multiply and replenish the earth! Marry me!"

Eventually, it'll work. My plan is pretty much the perfect plan.

Hahaha.. I hardly think it's the perfect plan.. Besides you can't just go around asking people to marry you... Hahaha... That would be crude and it would be creepy to have someone actually agree to marry you! You would have to consider his sanity..

I read something from TIME and the article suggested that people ought to be "choosy" for the "improvement of the species". In other words, a "strong" man and a 'strong woman' would rear stronger children.. that's why people should be "picky"... do i make sense at all? i am not quite articulate in trying to rephrase what the article suggested.

Mavreen? We have been commanded to multiply and replenish the earth. I'm not saying you're a bad Mormon if you don't marry me, but...

If you don't marry me? You're a bad Mormon.

Hahahaha Is that a marriage proposal?

And I thought you said I shouldn't settle?? Hehehehe

It's like being asked to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea.. (You may choose whether you're the devil or the deep blue sea, but personally I prefer the deep blue sea.. At least you're deep.. Hehehe)

You're funny Funky Town but I'd be way funnier if I agree to marry you =p or worse CRAZY!!!! hahahha

Edited by mavreenrose

Hahahaha Is that a marriage proposal?

And I thought you said I shouldn't settle?? Hehehehe

It's like being asked to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea.. (You may choose whether you're the devil or the deep blue sea, but personally I prefer the deep blue sea.. At least you're deep.. Hehehe)

You're funny Funky Town but I'd be way funnier if I agree to marry you =p or worse CRAZY!!!! hahahha

What? My random proposals to people on the internet might not be the best way to go about marrying? :eek:

That makes me sad! :( Next you'll be saying all my best pickup lines aren't good, either, like "Please let me stalk you so my mother doesn't think I'm gay." or "I guess you're good enough. Y'know. For now. Let's make out."

At least I have my good old standby, "Why don't you come by my pad and I'll make hot dogs with Twinkie buns. When you're six hundred pounds like me, you know how to cook!"

:o

hoooo... I'm sorry, did I break it to you that bad? Tsk Tsk Tsk....

Random proposals to people on the internet isn't the way to go..That's already outdated..Haven't you heard?

The best way to have someone marry you is to ambush them on the streets, engagement ring on hand and go.. "Marriage or life?"

Then, if she agrees, you give her your hotdogs with Twinkie buns spiel.. that may work.. But offer to do the dishes if she agrees to cook..Hehehe.

*starts taking notes*

Marriage or life... Give Twinkie Spiel... Cook.

Boy, this whole marriage thing is complex, Mavreen. Thanks for the help.

If it weren't for my sex-ay dress sense, I don't know what I'd do. Like right now, I have on doublemint reversible slacks and a white silk shirt open up to my navel. Women love that.

Glad I could help, Funky Town..

And yep, this whole marriage thing is complicated.. Are you sure you want to be listening to my advice? Hehe...

After reading so many dating guides and self-help books, I can only conclude one thing : There's a lot of market share for these books but they aren't any help at all...

I'd rather have your fancy dress sense..

But hey, you better be careful with that silk shirt.. Make sure your bellybutton is clean!!!:P

If it weren't for my sex-ay dress sense, I don't know what I'd do. Like right now, I have on doublemint reversible slacks and a white silk shirt open up to my navel. Women love that.

That reminds me of a situation on my mission. My comp and I were tracking and one dude opens the door to the past. I swear he stepped out of a 70's bad movie. He was wearing skin tight blue jeans with a white ruffled shirt that was opened down the front exposing his hairy chest which he had covered in long gold chains. He leaned against the door jam and said, "hello, there....wanna come in?" Then when we told him we were Mormon missionaries, he quickly shut the door. :lol:

I thought for some time before responding because I wanted to make sure I understood.

Also, since I am not the diplomat, I wanted to be as gentle as possible.

I seemed to me that this relationship was lopsided from the beginning. It happens that, occasionally, we "craft" in our mind things the way they appeal to us while ignoring or avoiding dealing with the reality of the situation. By your own admission soon after he returned he began to avoid you, ignore you and devoting time to other things. You pursued him, you sought after him, you made the effort while he did not. That should have been a huge red waving flag. If within 2-3 months of him returning from his mission you did not have a ring and a date it was likely going the wrong way as it did. At times, we abandon personal revelation, counsel and common sense to pursue the desires of our heart. I know you were interested, I know you wanted to get married but he was not obviously the one.

Now, how does 80 hours a week on a graduate program going to help you find your eternal companion? I've been in graduate school and cranking 100 pages a week and 20 hours of research will kill your social life, add 20 pounds to your waistline and all but reduce you to a hermit. I have no magic bullet and there are others a lot more qualified than me to advise on these issues. But if finding your eternal companion is what you really and truly desire, given that has proven a challenge for you to this point, and being this, one if not the most important thing we will ever do on the earth, I would structure the next 2 years of my life in a different way. Just some thoughts.

Now, how does 80 hours a week on a graduate program going to help you find your eternal companion? I've been in graduate school and cranking 100 pages a week and 20 hours of research will kill your social life, add 20 pounds to your waistline and all but reduce you to a hermit. I have no magic bullet and there are others a lot more qualified than me to advise on these issues. But if finding your eternal companion is what you really and truly desire, given that has proven a challenge for you to this point, and being this, one if not the most important thing we will ever do on the earth, I would structure the next 2 years of my life in a different way. Just some thoughts.

I mean this in the spirit of discussion, not attack.

On the surface, your points are valid and practical. However, if someone is not in a relationship and it doesn't appear as if one will be in a relationship any time soon (soon being relative), then what do you propose this person do? Going to graduate school requires many hours of work. Building a career requires work.

There are some people who will not be married in this mortal life. None of us know for certainty if we are the unlucky ones. In the meantime, we need to care for ourselves and our future (and any dependents, of course). Developing a career is one way.

Obviously, it's not to the exclusion of all else. I can only use myself as an example. I do not live in a Mormon rich environment. Now that I'm over the "desirable" marriage age, it is more difficult to find single worthy Mormon men. I have had several people encourage me to move to Utah, Arizona, or California where the worthy male Mormon population is more abundant. However, I have family and a fantastic job where I currently live. Since there is no guarantee that moving will result in marriage, I must make a personal decision based on my circumstances. I have not felt the Spirit inspire me to move to any of those areas. Does this mean that marriage isn't important to me? Of course not. It simply means that I must follow the Spirit as best I can and bloom where I live.

my 2 cents...from my experience.

I went inactive from church my senior year of high school. i did not return to church til i was 34, in 2000. during that time i had no desire to marry and did a lot of things i shouldn't have.

when i started going back to church i decided i wanted to go to the temple, and get married in the temple. I lived in the desert in southern calif in a ward whose boundaries stretched about 25 miles in a stake whose boundaries were about 40 or more miles.

As i looked around my ward, there was 1 attractive single gal who i thought to be about 24. there was a divorcee with 2 kids in their early teens...she was about 40 or older. that's it!!...and the gal i thought to be 24 turned out to in high school and just 17!!

i moved to utah to better my odds, was there 6 months before moving to wyoming for work. i went on lots of dates with people i met in an lds singles chatroom. most had children. the ages ranged from 25-45. most of the younger ones were too immature, some were divorced with kids. all the older ones were divorced with kids. i remember talking to a gal who told me she had 8 kids!! i was open to one or two, but 8 ??!!!

eventually i did find a gal who was 34, never married and no kids. we have been married for over 6 years. our daughter is 5 1/2 and our son just turned 3.

there is hope!!!

I mean this in the spirit of discussion, not attack.

On the surface, your points are valid and practical. However, if someone is not in a relationship and it doesn't appear as if one will be in a relationship any time soon (soon being relative), then what do you propose this person do? Going to graduate school requires many hours of work. Building a career requires work.

There are some people who will not be married in this mortal life. None of us know for certainty if we are the unlucky ones. In the meantime, we need to care for ourselves and our future (and any dependents, of course). Developing a career is one way.

Obviously, it's not to the exclusion of all else. I can only use myself as an example. I do not live in a Mormon rich environment. Now that I'm over the "desirable" marriage age, it is more difficult to find single worthy Mormon men. I have had several people encourage me to move to Utah, Arizona, or California where the worthy male Mormon population is more abundant. However, I have family and a fantastic job where I currently live. Since there is no guarantee that moving will result in marriage, I must make a personal decision based on my circumstances. I have not felt the Spirit inspire me to move to any of those areas. Does this mean that marriage isn't important to me? Of course not. It simply means that I must follow the Spirit as best I can and bloom where I live.

I like the fact that we can exchange thoughts and ideas in a meaningful way without being defensive. That has proven to be an unattainable goal for some in the forum when confronted with difficult truths.

Building a career takes significant amount of of time and resources. I said this before, I am not the best qualified to give advise on this issue, but some things are evident that may be worth considering. We HAVE to make discriminating choices in life. We do it all the time. We decide A over B, not because B is not good, worthwhile or appealing, but because A is the best choice given our perspective.

In this endeavor (marriage) you have to behave and exercise faith as if your life depends on it, because in many respects it does. You have to act "as if" you were getting ready for marriage. Thinking about it, desiring it, wishing, or any other variation of the verb does not equate to WORKING on it. As I mentioned before; 80 hours a week schedule on a graduate program I doubt qualifies.

You mentioned proximity to your family, friends and your job vs venturing to other places were you may have a better prospect. Once more, this is a choice you are making prioritizing on family and job security rather than the prospect of marriage. There is no certainty that you would find a husband if you move. What is certain is that you have not found one where you are and as you admit there are no prospects. So, I would say that moving would improve your odds statistically.

At the end I hope you would set aside family, friends, job and whatever else may hinder you in this search and plead with your Father in Heaven for guidance about what to do. Be careful not to force the question for history has taught us that at the end we will get the answer we wanted anyhow.

This is a fact; your eternal companion, the one appointed by your Heavenly Father, will be in a certain place at a certain time on a particular day. You will be there to meet him or not. Anything else that happens, any other choice you make will be YOUR choice and thus not what God intended and therefore sub-optimal. Consider.

You mentioned proximity to your family, friends and your job vs venturing to other places were you may have a better prospect. Once more, this is a choice you are making prioritizing on family and job security rather than the prospect of marriage. There is no certainty that you would find a husband if you move. What is certain is that you have not found one where you are and as you admit there are no prospects. So, I would say that moving would improve your odds statistically.

At the end I hope you would set aside family, friends, job and whatever else may hinder you in this search and plead with your Father in Heaven for guidance about what to do. Be careful not to force the question for history has taught us that at the end we will get the answer we wanted anyhow.

This is a fact; your eternal companion, the one appointed by your Heavenly Father, will be in a certain place at a certain time on a particular day. You will be there to meet him or not. Anything else that happens, any other choice you make will be YOUR choice and thus not what God intended and therefore sub-optimal. Consider.

You are absolutely correct that if you keep doing the same thing, you'll get the same results....if you are relying solely upon yourself.

Marriage is between 2 people (3 when counting the Lord). I can move to a target rich area and still remain single. I can completely change my personality and remain single.

My point is that we do have to make choices in our life. Marriage is one of the most important decisions anyone can make in this life. But it is not the only decision. If I must remain single, then being near family and in a satisfying career helps the loneliness and emptiness. I would hope that I have the courage to move away from family and great job if the Lord tells me to.

Your advice is great if the Lord leads one in that direction. I worry that people think too often in terms of "I'll be happy when..." We should be happy now regardless of our circumstances.

And I disagree with you on the whole "soul mate" idea. I don't think God appoints someone for me. I think I choose my companion. There is no "one" for me. There are several and we just have to decide together to make the same choice.

Building a career takes significant amount of of time and resources. I said this before, I am not the best qualified to give advise on this issue, but some things are evident that may be worth considering. We HAVE to make discriminating choices in life. We do it all the time. We decide A over B, not because B is not good, worthwhile or appealing, but because A is the best choice given our perspective.

In this endeavor (marriage) you have to behave and exercise faith as if your life depends on it, because in many respects it does. You have to act "as if" you were getting ready for marriage. Thinking about it, desiring it, wishing, or any other variation of the verb does not equate to WORKING on it. As I mentioned before; 80 hours a week schedule on a graduate program I doubt qualifies.

Thank you so much for your inputs..I do appreciate it. I could use all the help I can get..So you are saying graduate school isn't the way to go? What then is the way to go?

After my break up, I assessed where I stand and found that:

In my stake and the neighboring stakes, I have no prospects..I have attended several different wards at several different provinces.. I attended the institute and various single adult conferences and though some guys at first express an interest,they get intimidated when they find out that I work as an assistant manager at a prestigious local bank. The Filipino male ego is sensitive and they are culture bound not just to earn a living but to earn more than the woman...In other words, no one will date me given the circumstances..

So I had this "wild" idea.. that maybe I will up my chances by going back to school..

Given that as you say, graduate school isn't the way to go.. what else can I do?

It's not for lack of trying that I remain unmarried..

In John Bytheway's talk on CD called "What I wish I knew when I was Single", he references several General Authorities who speak about the concept of "one soul mate" or as you put it "your eternal companion, the one appointed by your Heavenly Father."

They state that this concept is incorrect. The person you marry is your choice. You are to pray about it your choice. Bro. Bytheway states that most of the time when he prayed about whom he should marry he got the feeling of "yeah go ahead, maybe it will work out".

Here are some references I was able to find quickly:

"This is within the reach of every couple, every person. “Soul mates” are fiction and an illusion; and while every young man and young woman will seek with all diligence and prayerfulness to find a mate with whom life can be most compatible and beautiful, yet it is certain that almost any good man and any good woman can have happiness and a successful marriage if both are willing to pay th..."

Gospel Library > Magazines > Ensign > Oneness in Marriage, Spencer W. Kimball, October 2002

Aaronic Priesthood Manual 3

"You must do the choosing, rather than to seek for some one-and-only so-called soul mate, chosen for you by someone else and waiting for you. "

Gospel Library > Lessons > Aaronic Priesthood

I never use the term "sould mate." I would not know what that means in practical terms.

Of course it is your choice to marry whom you will. But if it is ONLY so then why would you pray to your Heavenly Father about this person? What would you ask? Does it matter that you ask? Since it is your choice you could just go ahead and marry this person with no regard for any other input.

Since we are children of an Omniscient God, He created all things, ordained all things, set the universe in motion and knows where every particle of it is at any given moment. There is nothing random or unknown for God. Thus He knows who you are to married since it was HIM who set that dynamic in place. The fact that we are totally blinded by the passage thru the veil and ignore the intricacies of our own life and what awaits us does not mean it is a random act that you meet and desire to marry someone. That is why we pray to Heavenly Father. We seek His confirmation that in fact this is our eternal companion, that this is the person we are to enter into the Temple with and make sacred covenants for eternity. We are seeking His stamp of approval and corroboration thru the Spirit. We are looking for: "YES, DEFINITELY IT IS YOUR ETERNAL COMPANION" --rather than: "Well, sure, it is a fine prospect...you may be able to workout life with him/her....sure go for it..." kind of a response. Since He is the architect of the whole thing He has "appointed" this to happen. They will come to pass or not depending on OUR choices.

Case in point: God has appointed a certain man to receive the priesthood before the foundation of the earth. This man does not and will not heed to the enticing of the Spirit and rejects the word of God. It is his choice and he will live out his days with not another thought about those crazy white-shirted-bike-riding-bible thumping Mormon missionaries that visited with him. What ever he does to his liking will be his choice and delight. But his life would have been much happier, brighter, beautiful, meaningful, exalted, powerful and blessed if he would have chosen the path appoint to his by God.

That is what I was refering to in my previous post

You raise a good point. Why pray about anything? Why pray about going on a mission? A mission is a good and desirable goal. Obviously, the Lord wants us to share the Gospel and one fantastic way to do that is go on a mission. So why pray about it?

I prayed about it because I needed to know if it was right for me. But I'm a woman--no obligation for me to go. If I were a man, then why should I pray about it? I could still serve a mission at home. Or share the Gospel with my friends without wearing the "uniform."

In the Bible dictionary, it says that prayer is to align our will with HF will (paraphrasing). I dated a guy who was a worthy LDS man. He honored his priesthood, was attractive, one of the funniest guys I know, was capable with me in many, many ways. I truly think I would have been happy with him if we had married.

I prayed about our relationship and received an answer that I should continue with it into engagement. He prayed about it and received the opposite answer. How can that happen? I know that it was a spiritual confirmation on my part. And I trust him that he received a spiritual confirmation on his part. My only explanation was that he was a good match for me, but I was not a good match for him.

I do believe God knows the beginning from the end. I just don't blieve that he has "appointed" an eternal companion to someone (there are exceptions, IMO, such as Adam and Eve). I think He allows us to choose a companion and when we seek His counsel in the matter will let us know if He approves of the match or will alert us to potential issues (by receiving a "no" answer).

I appreciate your thoughts, I just happen to disagree with them. I hope I've articulated my thoughts and knowledge (albeit very limited).

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I believe that the reason most single sisters are not married is because there are very few worthy males to marry.

The stories my daughters tell me about the guys they or their friends meet. I have a 31 yr old daughter twice divorced. First guy never held a job in the four years they were married, he had his own business. That meant he could play XBox until late at night with his buddies and then work and hour or two and rest before next Xbox marathon. Divorced him when she had the baby and he still wouldn't work or take care of the baby and the house while she worked. Next guy she married was physically abusive.

Other daughter served a mission in South Africa. Holds current temple recommend, very outgoing, physically fit and beautiful. She is 29 and all the guys she knows around her age are not interested in a serious relationship.

The rest of the guys have issues with immorality, pornography, still students at 28, too occupied playing video games, etc.

One guy invited my daughter out to dinner, she went to a medium priced place, he told her to pick the place. When they got there he ordered water, she ordered a soda, he asked her what she liked on the menu, when she told him he said, oh good we can share it. She told him, "you know I work I can pay for my own meal." He still shared it with her and she paid half. Here she is a single mom, he asks her out on a date and she has to pay half. Loser.

Ben Raines

Hi Ben, your 29-yo daughter sounds fantastic! When can I meet her?! ;) How tall is she by chance? I'm 6'4".

Edited by Giant_Son