1 Nephi 8:8-9

HoosierGuy

3 And behold, because of the thing which I have seen, I have reason to rejoice in the Lord because of Nephi and also of Sam; for I have reason to suppose that they, and also many of their seed, will be saved.

4 But behold, Laman and Lemuel, I fear exceedingly because of you; for behold, methought I saw in my dream, a dark and dreary wilderness.

5 And it came to pass that I saw a man, and he was dressed in a white robe; and he came and stood before me.

6 And it came to pass that he spake unto me, and bade me follow him.

7 And it came to pass that as I followed him I beheld myself that I was in a dark and dreary waste.

----

8 And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have mercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies.

9 And it came to pass after I had prayed unto the Lord I beheld a large and spacious field.

QUOTES FOR DISCUSSION

Elder Marion D. Hanks has observed:

Only then did [Lehi] taste the inspiration, the soul-filling joy of the love of God. It is likely that all who have effectively served the Lord have had to travel “for the space of many hours in darkness.” The story of Joseph Smith is perhaps best known. As he knelt in prayer, seeking light and knowledge, he was “seized upon by some power” which overcame him. “Thick darkness” gathered around him, and it seemed to him for a time as if he were “doomed to sudden destruction.” But he fought and prayed, and after a time the darkness was dispelled, the light shone, and the magnificent visitation followed.

QUOTES FOR DISCUSSION

Elder Marion D. Hanks has observed:

Only then did [Lehi] taste the inspiration, the soul-filling joy of the love of God. It is likely that all who have effectively served the Lord have had to travel “for the space of many hours in darkness.” The story of Joseph Smith is perhaps best known. As he knelt in prayer, seeking light and knowledge, he was “seized upon by some power” which overcame him. “Thick darkness” gathered around him, and it seemed to him for a time as if he were “doomed to sudden destruction.” But he fought and prayed, and after a time the darkness was dispelled, the light shone, and the magnificent visitation followed.

I have experienced this. In my Ward in CA that I moved into, the Ward was in a horrible state, due to many things that I probably shouldn't get into. The members were divided and contentious and it was the most dysfunctional Ward 'family' I had ever seen -- things were really quite bad. I was in the bishopbric and had to deal with many things that were really hard, but I gave it my best and trusted in the Lord. Eventually the Stake got permission to dissolve the Ward into 3 other Wards.

In the last Sacrament meeting of our old Ward, the Lord poured out upon me a blessing beyond measure as I sat on the stand. I see it as a direct result of all the difficulty and trial in trying to lead and serve under really bad conditions. I never dwelt (much) on how bad it was, and I was richly repaid.

HiJolly