Criticizing religion?

DigitalShadow

Is it ever appropriate to publicly criticize a religion?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ever appropriate to publicly criticize a religion?

I'm curious what people think about this. If a religion does something that you find morally repugnant, what (if anything) is wrong with publicly criticizing it and making your grievances known? Should religious beliefs be held beyond criticism?

Oh, and here is a funny, somewhat related comic: Flea Snobbery: Laughing

Absolutely.......unless you live in Saudi Arabia, then not so much.

I'm curious what people think about this. If a religion does something that you find morally repugnant, what (if anything) is wrong with publicly criticizing it and making your grievances known? Should religious beliefs be held beyond criticism?

Oh, and here is a funny, somewhat related comic: Flea Snobbery: Laughing

It depends on what that religion is pushing.

Sure, I think it is fine to criticize religion publicly if something they are doing does not seem moral. Sometimes, but not always its a good thing to do so. A good example might be the heavy criticism of some of the actions of some priests of the RCC, in regards to abuse, has brought an issue to the fore, and allowed their religion to deal with it.

I think picking on someone because they don't eat pork is a little silly though.

I voted in the poll before reading your post. Criticize for actions, sure. Criticize for beliefs I think is contrary to what we state in our Articles of Faith.

If a religion wants to stone a woman because she was raped, happened in Indonesia, then I would criticize but not so much the religion but the actions of its members.

Ben Raines

I voted in the poll before reading your post. Criticize for actions, sure. Criticize for beliefs I think is contrary to what we state in our Articles of Faith.

If a religion wants to stone a woman because she was raped, happened in Indonesia, then I would criticize but not so much the religion but the actions of its members.

Ben Raines

Why would you more criticize the actions rather than the religion? Of course it is the action that is morally wrong, but would those action have even happened if not for their religion enabling them to do it guilt free?

(I'm really curious what you think and I'm not just trying to be a pain here)

Because often the actions of the members is what is wrong. It is not the religion itself. Extremists exist in most religions. There were even extremists in early LDS faith and perhaps even some today.

So that is why I say not specifically the religion but the actions of some of its professed members or believers.

Ben Raines

Because often the actions of the members is what is wrong. It is not the religion itself. Extremists exist in most religions. There were even extremists in early LDS faith and perhaps even some today.

So that is why I say not specifically the religion but the actions of some of its professed members or believers.

Ben Raines

In my opinion a religion is a congregation of people with a defined set of beliefs, regardless of what their scriptures say or how most people would interpret them. If one of those taught beliefs is immoral to me, I see no problem criticizing the "religion." I fully understand though that many religions have extremist "sects" which I consider as their own religion and that the actions of those people does not necessarily reflect the parent religion.

I think it becomes difficult not to speak out when some groups appear to be breaking the law. It is difficult not to speak out against sexual abuse perpetrated by a religious organization....especially when the organization buries or covers up evidence. I think issues like the FLDS situation in Texas are somewhat contraversial. If there was child abuse or under age marriages, then yes, something must be said.

I'm not aware of any religion that does not receive public criticism. Can you name one?

Don't know the answer to that, but I do know that Druids have not been in the news much lately.

Free speech goes with the turf of Western Democracies. And I am sure we can all think of religious people who cherish their right to criticize.

Sure. But there are many cafeats when it comes to criticism:

1. Removing the beam from your own eye

2. Be careful not to call that which is good, evil and that which is evil, good.

3. What are your motives in openly criticizing?

4. Is the criticizm directed at their beliefs? Their actions?

*criticizing is one thing, but intolerance, persecuting, threatening, etc is another.

With that in mind, BOM prophets criticized, if you will, how certain people in the BOM "worshipped." So did Jesus in the New Testament.