1 Nephi 8:23

HoosierGuy

1 Nephi 8:23

21 And I saw numberless concourses of people, many of whom were pressing forward, that they might obtain the path which led unto the tree by which I stood.

22 And it came to pass that they did come forth, and commence in the path which led to the tree.

----

23 And it came to pass that there arose a mist of darkness; yea, even an exceedingly great mist of darkness, insomuch that they who had commenced in the path did lose their way, that they wandered off and were lost.

QUOTES FOR DISCUSSION

Note that one must understand as well as hear the word. Also, his answer implies a difference between the bearing of fruit and the bringing forth of fruit. To bear fruit may mean to increase one’s own spiritual stature, and to bring forth fruit may mean to be instrumental in helping others to grow in spiritual stature.

Another aspect of bearing and bringing forth fruit may be the doctrine taught by the Prophet Joseph Smith in May of 1843, near the end of his mortal life. To attain the highest degree of the celestial glory, “a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage]; And if he does not, he cannot obtain it…he cannot have an increase” (D&C 131:1-4). Preceding this revelation the Prophet Joseph taught: “those who are married by the power and authority of the priesthood in this life, and continue without committing the sin against the Holy Ghost, will continue to have children in the celestial glory” (TPJS, 301). Jesus may be alluding to this doctrine in the parable, but Lehi was not shown the doctrine of eternal increase at this time because he and his people were not yet prepared to receive it.
Monte S. Nyman, I Nephi Wrote This Record, p. 106<O:p</O:p