Is dent corn the best for grinding into cornmeal?

chitchat

I use popcorn, and just canned 24 cans of popcorn! I grind it in my wheat grinder to use in making cornbread, not even thinking that I should use dent corn. However, I just ordered 50 lbs. of dent corn, and am anxious to grind it and make into cornbread and see the difference.

I sometimes use whole wheat and popcorn in making the cornbread and my kids don't even notice a difference!

I just looked on Honeyville's site and their yellow popcorn is more than Walton's but their shipping is really cheap and they have blue and white popcorn. I may have to try those. It would be fun to have blue cornbread:) - seriously though, you can make great tortillas and try chip making with the blue, but they say it doesn't do really well with the bread.

I may still try it^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the Family Grain Mill, along with a few more of their products. I also like to mill corn, so I got a relatively inexpensive hand mill to "crack" the popcorn before milling. This seems to be a good alternative. It is best to have a hand grinder anyway, in case of power outage. We do have a generator, but I still like the idea of being able to grind without the electricity:)

• 10 months later...

I'd like to make tortillas from scratch and have never heard of blue corn (except to see it online) I understood corn needed to soaked in pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) before you could use it for tortillas.

Can anyone shead some light on this for me?

answering my own question.....

"Blue corn is a floury corn, and has about 30 percent more protein than the average hybrid corn. It is still widely used in the Southwest and Mexico, where it is a staple food. It can be used to make tortillas, chaquegue, a type of gruel, and nixtamal, which is a type of hominy. Blue corn was also reputed to have healing properties when offered as a beverage.

Nixtamal is made of blue corn kernels that have had their hulls removed in a lime water. The result may be cooked into hominy or ground into masa flour, suitable for tamale dough and many other uses in that cuisine."

Off to buy some blue corn.

Edited by at2wooden

• 1 year later...

Popcorn is a nutritious grain...who knew right?

Popcorn is rich in fiber, potassium, vitamins B1 and B2, and energy-providing carbohydrates, and yet it contains no artificial additives or preservatives while being low in calories.

Popcorn: More Than Just a Delicious Nutritious Snack - Popcorn Recipes, Popcorn History

I have made corn meal out of popcorn and it was good, but I have heard it can be tough on grinders as it is smaller and perhaps harder than dent corn although I have talked to people that say they have never had a problem with it. They like to make corn meal like this when they are displaying electric grinders. Honeyville (store not online) has sold dent corn at times for a cheaper price than popcorn at Sam's.

Popcorn has been REALLY CHEAP at Sam's Club for years (around $16-17) for 50 lbs and it pops up just as good as Orville's gourmet, my husband has a big bowl of it almost every night and when he says we don't use our food storage enough I point to the popcorn can.

Popcorn is one of the only grains most people know how to take it from grain to a finished yummy snack! Be sure to have plenty of salt as it is essential for survival and really "makes" popcorn. Some people pop and/or "butter" there's with virgin coconut oil which is actually supposed to be healthy for some people.

• 2 months later...