1 Nephi 8:26-33

HoosierGuy

1 Nephi 8:26-33

26 And I also cast my eyes round about, and beheld, on the other side of the river of water, a great and spacious building; and it stood as it were in the air, high above the earth.

27 And it was filled with people, both old and young, both male and female; and their manner of dress was exceedingly fine; and they were in the attitude of mocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had come at and were partaking of the fruit.

28 And after they had tasted of the fruit they were ashamed, because of those that were scoffing at them; and they fell away into forbidden paths and were lost.

29 And now I, Nephi, do not speak all the words of my father.

30 But, to be short in writing, behold, he saw other multitudes pressing forward; and they came and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree.

31 And he also saw other multitudes feeling their way towards that great and spacious building.

32 And it came to pass that many were drowned in the depths of the fountain; and many were lost from his view, wandering in strange roads.

33 And great was the multitude that did enter into that strange building. And after they did enter into that building they did point the finger of scorn at me and those that were partaking of the fruit also; but we heeded them not.

QUOTES FOR DISCUSSION

Building
A few members of the Church, alas, desert the cause; they are like one who abandons an oasis to search for water in the desert. Some of these few will doubtless become critics, and they will be welcomed into the “great and spacious building.” Henceforth, however, so far as their theological accommodations are concerned, they are in a spacious but third-rate hotel. All dressed up, as the Book of Mormon says, “exceedingly fine” (1 Nephi 8:27), they have no place to go except—one day, hopefully, home.
Neal A. Maxwell, First Nephi, The Doctrinal Foundation, BYU Religious Studies Center, p. 11

The current cries we hear coming from the great and spacious building tempt us to compete for ownership in the things of this world. We think we need a larger home, with a three-car garage, a recreational vehicle parked next to it. We long for designer clothes, extra TV sets, all with VCRs, the latest model computers, and the newest car. Often these items are purchased with borrowed money, without giving any thought to providing for our future needs. The result of all this instant gratification is overloaded bankruptcy courts and families that are far too preoccupied with their financial burdens.
L. Tom Perry, Ensign, Nov. 1995, p. 35

President Ezra Taft Benson declared, “Have good associates or don’t associate at all. Be careful in the selection of your friends. If in the presence of certain persons you are lifted to nobler heights, you are in good company. But if your friends or associates encourage base thoughts, then you had best leave them.”
God, Family, Country, p. 241

“The more I see of life,” stated President Harold B. Lee, “the more I am convinced that we must impress you young people with the awfulness of sin rather than content ourselves with merely teaching the way of repentance.”
Decisions for Successful Living [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1973], p. 88

Choke the Seed = cut off from the sources of growth<O:p</O:p

Water - - - - living water - - - - John <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.lds.net/forums/ /><st1:time Hour=</st1:time>4:13-14
Soil - - - - Bread of Life - - - - John 6:35
Sunlight - - - - Light of Christ - - - - John 9:5
Holy Ghost - - - - John 7:37-39
Monte S. Nyman, I Nephi Wrote This Record, p. 108

The real message portrayed in the vision is the importance of the word of God in leading “to the fountain of living water, or to the tree of eternal life” (1 Nephi 11:25). The four groups of people could also be classified by their studying and listening habits. The first group entered the path (were baptized) and wanted to follow it, but did not make the time to grasp the iron rod (read the scriptures). They spent their time making money, watching TV, and seeking worldly pleasures.

The second group entered the path (were baptized) grasped onto the end of the rod (knew a few scriptures), and clung to it until the world tore away the limited knowledge they had previously grasped. Their beliefs held no depth. They did not return to the rod, but wandered off on the paths of the world.

The fourth group wanted someone else to interpret the scriptures for them. They use the excuse of not understanding, and in their confusion they follow the path that appeals to their carnal or sensual nature. These are they who will not partake. Laman and Lemuel, although possibly baptized, furnish prime examples. “They would neither come unto Lehi nor partake of the fruit” (1 Nephi 8:17-18). They asked Nephi for an interpretation “concerning the things which my father had spoken unto them” (1 Nephi 15:2).

The third group is the only one to receive the greatest of all the gifts of God, eternal life. This group caught hold of the iron rod (read and accepted the word), pressed forward (lived by the teachings of the word of God), continually held fast to the rod (established a habit of studying, pondering and applying), and fell down at the tree and partook of the fruit (were not puffed up with their knowledge, but recognized the condescension of God in their behalf). Nephi’s answer to his rebellious brothers shows the eternal effect of holding to the rod:

23 What meaneth the rod of iron which our father saw, that led to the tree?

24 And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction. [1 Nephi 15:23-24]

Monte S. Nyman, I Nephi Wrote This Record, p. 108

The great and spacious building is contrasted by the Tree of Life. Each has a path which leads to it: the path with the iron rod leads to the tree, and the paths which lead into the mists of darkness eventually come out at the building.

We can walk one, but not both, path at one time. This requires a choosing, to struggle to hold onto the iron rod, or to be willing to wander around in mists until we grope our way to the building.

The Tree of Life portrays a simple life, in tune with nature, and enjoying time with family as one. The Tree represents Heavenly Mother/Mary/Wisdom and its fruit represents Jesus, the love/offspring of God.

Meanwhile, the building represents individuals that seek to be better than others. They wear expensive clothing, and scoff at others who seem different or have less than they do. Rather than gathering as a loving family, they gather to mock and divide and shame others who do not meet their low standards. There is no family structure. There is no Lehi searching to bring his family to the tree.

Instead of a gathering of love, there is a gathering of mockers - vultures gathering in the field awaiting the culling of the flock. When one being separates from those at the tree, they become the eventual sacrificial lamb of those in the building. They are not embraced, but are given a spot in a lower window, where they hope to earn their way to the top of the pile of mockers.

Meanwhile, all sit together around the Tree of Life, enjoying the fruit and sharing the love.