Bill Loumeau's testimony

wloumeau

I actually had a miracle of sorts to convince me the restored gospel is true. After studying it out for five and a half weeks in the US Army in 1973 (five returned missionaries taught me the doctrines and I went to FHE) I had my first missionary lesson.

First of all I offerred a prayer asking Heavenly Father if this fantastic story was true or just man-made. [i liked mormons and the doctrine. I had two issues with it that were successfully explaine to me: plural marriage and the fact that not all could hold the priesthood. I felt both of these positions went contrary to my understanding of Christianity; but I recieved satisfactory explanations. But I didn't know if all of this was just a clever man-made idea or from God. I guess I was too young].

Anyway, the missionaries started with the flannel-board discussion which was on Ephesians 4:11 at that time - the foundation of the church and how when the Apostles were killed the foundation was gone, etc. I already went through this with my friends in the army so I fully understood and agreed with the logic of it all. Here's where the miracle comes in though:

As the missionaries began to speak I heard nothing coming out of their mouths while I saw their lips moving. I heard all the words coming from directly over my head and a bit in front; I even looked up. I didn't see anyone, however, I seemed to recognize that it came from a familiar fiend or spirit that had been guiding me along as I searched for what God had in store for me. For I had been praying for some time to be guided by God and indeed I had been. In fact, I recieved a sign to join the army, which I would never had done (Viet Nam war going on and all) unless I did get the sign that I did; but that's another story.

This event - the voice above my head and not hearing any sound coming from the missionaries as they spoke - was the proof I was looking for.

I joined and have never had any doubts that Joseph Smith and all succeeding prophets have been genuine.

So that's it.

Teaching the gospel in the 70s versus today has changed dramatically. Perhaps, it is time to for the church to investigate on what should be the question for non-members should ask GOD vice the Book of Mormon is true.

My two questions for GOD when I received my conversion was: 1] was this church HIS? and 2] was Joseph Smith called by HIM. Both of which was answered after going through trials of fire.

Thanks for sharing your sacred experiences online. It does bring back old memories on how we are converted to the gospel. :)