Does anyone know of LDS Business School

jolee65

My daughter will be attending in the fall of 09, has anyone had any experiences they would like to share on campus or activities school holds off campus.

Also would you say that attending a LDS school is harder then attending a school with only a few LDS members?

I have been told by missionaries that attending a LDS school can have a totally different set of issues then attending a school where theres only a few members.

What are your thoughts?

I believe that LDS Business College has a good reputation for instruction and teaching. They really don't have much of a campus, so I wouldn't count on a lot of interaction with other students other than scheduled class times or study groups and labs. I would guess that the large majority of the students are commuters who live at home with mommy and daddy. Being close to downtown Salt Lake, I would guess that there would be a lot of diversity, with the majority of college students in the area being University of Utah students. I would imagine she will find that there are a lot of people who are members of the church in name only, or even a few who carry a hatred for the church. This can be a source of frustration for someone who comes here expecting to find Perfect-Mormonville, it simply does not exist.

My two daughters were the only LDS members in there school and they didnt receive it so much from the students but from the teachers, even the principle asked her why she wanted to attend LDSBS I didnt say anything at first I wanted to give her the time she needed to respond seeings we were in a meeting about her classes for her senior yr. She was kinda caught off guard and I could see she didnt know how to respond to that, so I just said because thats where she attends stairing right at him but he was stairing at her , nothing like bullying a teen girl , he even told her if she needed anything to call him directly,.....LOL I guess thats in case we decide to give her to a 50-60 yr old man.

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter will be attending in the fall of 09, has anyone had any experiences they would like to share on campus or activities school holds off campus.

Also would you say that attending a LDS school is harder then attending a school with only a few LDS members?

I have been told by missionaries that attending a LDS school can have a totally different set of issues then attending a school where theres only a few members.

What are your thoughts?

Hi Jolee! I know this is late from where you posted, but I have been reading some threads and came across this one. My daughter went to BYU-SLC for a semester. At the time, they were building LDSBC, so they were sharing the same building (Fall 2008). Anyway, you are right in that the girls live in the upper 2 floors of the Plaza Hotel. The boys live somewhere else.

What I can tell you about the school is that is isn't tremendously hard to get into compared to any of the BYU campuses, and the learning for the most part is not as demanding. BUT that doesn't mean that the programs are weak. The degrees aren't BA/BS degrees, so the general education requirements are not a part of it.

My daughter had made many friends who went there. She loved, loved going to school in SLC. She currently is at BYU-Provo. Anyway, they are known to have an outstanding interior design program. A couple of her friends were planning to stage homes to sell faster with poor economy and all. She had some other friends in the medical degree programs and one of her friends earned an Associates and transferred to BYU Provo with her at semester. (My daughter was waiting on transcripts for out of state to get to Provo and they "got lost" in the mail, said her high school :(...but she got in the next semester, with her friend).

What she loved about going to school in SLC was that she could regularly go to the temple. She loved, loved that. She also loved that she could go to the visitors' center and to the LDS museum. She did genealogy in the Family History library several times a week. She really helped me along! She gained a stronger testimony than ever in actually being able to do these things of her own free will. She also loved the sister missionaries in the writing center that would help edit her papers (This is the BYU part though). And the religion classes were great. Oh, and she also liked that she could easily find a job at Westgate (I think it's called that) Mall. She'd work enough to get some mad money and a discount on whatever clothing she wanted.

She really loved that experience and still goes to SLC at least once a month on a bus/TRAX method she has down.

The only down side was the homeless, who would try to talk to her. I'm hoping that situation will be fixed. She did live at home, so wasn't there at night. She loved it.

I want to add to that they have many, many social events and rooms for the kids to watch tv and hangout. There are also many clubs, and I believe they do require a certain amount of service to be done. The building is very gorgeous, especially at Christmas. Everyone is so nice and helpful, really!

Anyway, I hope your daughter takes advantage of everything offered. Have her go to the orientation meetings. It'll help explain how to do everything there and what to look forward to.

Edited by Sequoia

• 4 weeks later...