You cant even go to a book store

jolee65

FunkyTown -- I'm curious. Why does explaining your viewpoints involve "bible bashing"?

To be clear, I don't mind. I don't believe in the Bible, but I'm assuming that you do, to some extent.

Because people who walk up and tell you that you're wrong in your religion and are going to Hell usually have about half a dozen verses that says that.

When you take out the scriptural railsplit they base those verses on, they generally will use the second, third, fourth, fifth and so on verses they have prepared.

Once you've broken those down, they usually get frustrated and walk off.

Intresting thread.

I remember as a young girl visiting my cousins and a great aunt in Lousiana and going to their church. They were not Mormon's but Baptists. I wanted to proudly declare that my family was Mormon, but my own mother warned me not to as she did not want to wash away any good feelings that we had with our cousins or our friends. So sadly I said nothing. I don't think I had any idea or at least that much about anti-Mormon stuff or anti-Mormon ideas as a young kid but of course my mom did. She didn't want me to be hurt. In looking back I agree she had a point but as a kid I wanted to share the truth of the gospel and I know that isn't wrong either.

Although I never grew up in Utah, but we lived in the Las Vegas/Henderson area. The community where I live I would consider a pretty strong Mormon community to the fact that our mayor is LDS, was our former Stake President, and goes to my ward. Anyway, I feel that our community has a good strong LDS presence for the most part.

Consquently, my great aunt asked my mom recently what church we belonged to as she had never asked what faith we belonged to. My mom told her that we were LDS and I think she was shocked. But she never said anything else. My mom has always talked of Christ in her conversations with her and other Christian ideals. If anything else perhaps her great aunt will have a diffrent impression of LDS people other than what has been spread around by people who don't think we are Christian.

Over here if you say you are a mormon they look a bit shoked and then the next question is oh yes the ones with pluralmarriage.... poor people dont know that to throw taht on my face you endanger a long discusition, study on pluralmarriage in LDS church before and now...:P

It is kind of funny like once we were talking to a person about religion for a few hours on a ferry. Then she asked for our religion... then after just a while she had to go...

If a mormon asks about others religion and they learn to know it... they usually are interested about the others religion... not telling them to leave theirs...

I think, in that situation, I would have given my best simile and said: Oh really.... (then looking very innocent) why? :D

First, it is certainly rude and wholly unacceptable behavior to tell a stranger in a bookstore that he is wrong about his religious beliefs.

But, remember, the LDS church teaches that everyone else is wrong about theirs. The church sends out missionaries to tell peole that they are wrong about their religion. Before someone jumps on me for saying this so bluntly, I ask you: Are missionaries taught to ask if the strangers they approach are satisfied and happy with their spiritual lives? If the person says that they are, do the missionaries simply move on? Some do, I'm sure -- but some certainly don't. Which is more offensive -- to have a stranger tell you in public that your religion is wrong? Or to come to someone's home, knock on their door, and tell them that, regardless of what religion they are, you have a better one to offer?

People on this board have told me directly that I have made the wrong decision in my life because I left the LDS church. That's more acceptable than the man in the bookstore, because I have chosen to be part of this discussion. People have told me I only "think" I am happier outside the LDS church. People have told me that I will regret my decision in the hereafter. I still wonder frequently just exactly how so many Mormons have more insight into my life, my spiritual experiences, and my relationship with God than I do.

It's unfortunate that your husband experienced rude behavior from someone in a bookstore -- but it should give him some insight into what it's like to have your deepest, more important self dismissed out of hand by someone who doesn't even know you. Happens to me frequently.

:lol: Well, it's debatable. I'm not going to tell you that you're going to burn in hell if you don't join/rejoin the LDS Church. I've been told that many times by non-Mormons. I've had them pray for my soul. I've had them screaming at me that I believe in something that I do not believe in. I have rarely encountered a nonmember that even had a clue what we actually believe in. Most have a list of incorrect assumptions. Very few people ever bother to try to understand.

It's the common affliction of self-righteous obnoxious people to try to belittle the beliefs of others. I guess calling names has overtaken being burned at the stake as the official outlet for religious disagreements these days.

Now considering the fact that the LDS church professes to be the fullfillment of those other faiths and the restoration of God's true church, I would think that you could better understand where we're coming from. A missionary is not being sent out to see who would be more comfortable or happier in the Mormon Church, as opposed to their existing Church. Their task is to declare the restored gospel. And when I was a missionary, I certainly do not remember belittling anyone for their current religious beliefs, nor did I ever tell anyone they'd burn in hell for not joining the LDS faith.

I know that a certain amount of self-righteous egotism can tend to creep into the LDS faith just as easily as any other.

I don't let the insults of others regarding my religion bother me, it's just too commonplace for that.

My deepest sympathies for your husband jolee65; no matter how often the blatant insult of misplaced loyalty is thrown, it continues to cut deep.

OtterPop, you said some interesting things I'd like to comment on. My apologies to the OP for the tangent.

But, remember, the LDS church teaches that everyone else is wrong about theirs.

Not entirely accurate; our focus is that we have the full gospel in our religion, not that others' are wrong. Some might say it's the same thing, but it's the same difference between optimism and pessimism: the LDS say we have something wonderful and glorious, and we want to share it with the world.

The church sends out missionaries to tell peole that they are wrong about their religion.

*Holds off jumping*

Before someone jumps on me for saying this so bluntly, I ask you: Are missionaries taught to ask if the strangers they approach are satisfied and happy with their spiritual lives? If the person says that they are, do the missionaries simply move on? Some do, I'm sure -- but some certainly don't.

I assume this section is supposed to clarify your hazy accusation that the Church sends missionaries out to tell other people they joined 'a wrong religion'. I don't see how it does... so I'll continue my jumping.

The purpose of missionaries is to share the Gospel, plain and simple. The fact that if someone is not LDS they're in the 'wrong religion' is tertiary to the facts that happiness comes from being close to God, and that the LDS religion best teaches how to achieve that closeness. Those are the messages the missionaries actually teach.

Which is more offensive -- to have a stranger tell you in public that your religion is wrong? Or to come to someone's home, knock on their door, and tell them that, regardless of what religion they are, you have a better one to offer?

The former, because the aim is to tear down, not build up.

It's unfortunate that your husband experienced rude behavior from someone in a bookstore -- but it should give him some insight into what it's like to have your deepest, more important self dismissed out of hand by someone who doesn't even know you. Happens to me frequently.

I am sorry it happens to you- it happens to all of us at one time or another.

This is not a malevolent suggestion, but merely an observation: perhaps you would be attacked less if you didn't post on a board with the expressed purpose of education and information about the religion you left?

Edited by Maxel

There must be something like a bad consiousness, that makes people feel and say we tell them they go to the hot place, since we dont. Our missionaries are around only in order to tell about the restoration.

I myself am a living prof, that a completely HAPPY and ACTIVE person in a protestant church, IF she/he just opens her/his heart and llistens to the missionaries can find even more truth and happyness!

Today as I think about my life as a happy protestant... boy did I miss so much... I just did not know I was missing anything!

Those that think we say everybody else is going to h... those are sooo wrong. In my protestant religion even unbabtised newborns go to h... while LDS teaches there are only a few that go to h... and that all of us are resaurected to a much better eternallife, than what we could even think of or deserve, thanks to JK and His attonement.

I am thankfull for it that 2 missionaries tok 2 years of their time, just to go around from door to door in a more than in one way I am afraid COLD country. They never pusshed their religion on me, all they did was to tell me about it and left me with the knowledge I had to deal with myself. And IF you think I did that without antistoff you are wrong! My family took care of it that I was given enough weird stuff, sick stuff. I am not at all suprised someone thinks we go to h... or at least are weird after reading that stuff. Luvckily I had something to compare to; the lives of my LDS frends and the Scriptures and the meettings. I met often with: ... but that is what they tell YOU, but the leaders in SL ... you dont know... they dont tell you the whole truth... I am stil waiting for to find out that after 30 yhears in the church, 8 of it as a defender!

I think many of the anties have the problem, that they have been left with the knowledge and they have done their decition against their inner voice and that is why they are so strongly talking against us, sa tjhey kno0w in their hearts. There are also those that have listened to these and learned the lies from them and who are misleaded by them. Those who for some reason have first got the lies and negativities without knowing the truth, withoput searching themselves. Maybe they think the person they learned from is cool... or something.

Anyway the whole anti,anagonist, negative movement has one weird thing incommon... they tend to pull all the plugs and scream, shouth and call names and tell us what we believe in and that for just hearing we are LDS!:eek: Not very Christ like I think. WWJD! :cool:

I was raised with the idea that someone's religious beliefs are a private matter, so I think that the person who said those things in that bookstore was extremely rude.

I agree 100% it is a private matter, you could always say I had two kids should I have had three? Im a republican do you think I should be a dem? I bought a mini van should I have bought a SUV and I do see it in the same lite as the private decissions we all make in our lives everyday. It really isnt anyones business.

If they think im going to hell then pray for me but quietly please.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

My sister she was going to talk to me like that, and it would have been easier if it had been a stranger.

But i just told her it wasnt any of her business and she has nothing else to say about my religiouse preference.

Her husband acted like he wanted to know about the teachings i just told him to call the church and missionaries would sent to teach him, it was just smoke, five mins later hes screaming your wrong your wrong. lol

• 1 year later...

My husband came home today from work and told me he was at a book store, he might have time in the day to stop at a book store and look for his favorites religion or politics. He was trying to sqweeze past a older gentlemen in the same subject, religion.

The older gentelmen asked him what he was looking for my husband told him he was just looking to see if they had anything he wanted , so the older gentelmen asked him what his religion was my husband replyed LDS , he said oh your a Mormon David said yes the older gentelmen asked have you attended long my husband said all my life , the older gentelmen said you need to find another religion because your wrong, LOL

Tell me how you really feel,...LOL

It really upset him , me I dont care what people think , they can say what they want. But he was totally beside himself about it and went on for awhile questioning why someone would do that .

has anyone had this happen to them and how did you react?

I haven't had this happen much to me personally but I would get irritated as well if someone said that. I would also take it as an insult if someone told me I was not christian while being LDS. Some people who say these things claim it's out of love but I have a hard time believing that. The manner in which they do it sends a different signal to me. I couldn't see Christ doing that to someone. An example would be what protesters do outside Manti Utah temple. I just don't view it as right.

sadly in life some people do not have the same view as us and they try to make light of the fact and it comes off as ignorance. every one has the right to worship who and how they may. Our country was founded on this and as a mormon i remember the 10th article of faith.

I to have had this experience of people treating others badly because of religious affiliation. My friends and I were banned from performing n our senior years baccalaureate because we were mormon and according to the other denominations We did not believe in christ. We did not argue with the ministers but respected their opinion and did not perform in the baccalaureate.

As long as you know you are right that is all that matters.

• 8 months later...

My husband came home today from work and told me he was at a book store, he might have time in the day to stop at a book store and look for his favorites religion or politics. He was trying to sqweeze past a older gentlemen in the same subject, religion.

The older gentelmen asked him what he was looking for my husband told him he was just looking to see if they had anything he wanted , so the older gentelmen asked him what his religion was my husband replyed LDS , he said oh your a Mormon David said yes the older gentelmen asked have you attended long my husband said all my life , the older gentelmen said you need to find another religion because your wrong, LOL

Tell me how you really feel,...LOL

It really upset him , me I dont care what people think , they can say what they want. But he was totally beside himself about it and went on for awhile questioning why someone would do that .

has anyone had this happen to them and how did you react?

"God told me to be in it.."

"I'm trying to grow horns and a tail.."

"Thats what everyone says about everything else too, so i'll take my chances.."

"oh well.."

• 3 weeks later...

What should happen in a case like this? Should the police be brought in to arrest this man for daring to criticize another man's religion? (As in that shameful case in Cumbria, where preacher Dale McAlpine was arrested for telling a gay police officer the homosexuality is a sin.)

The great thing in a free society is that you are allowed to tell other people that they are wrong - and they are allowed to do the same thing to you. That is what Free Speech is all about.

• 1 year later...

I say, next time anyone here's in a similar position (but before they ask anything), he/she should look the other person in the eye and ask as intimidatingly as possible, "Are you a Mormon?" So for a few seconds, people can see typical interfaith interactions from our perspective. Give 'em a taste of their own medicine!

And if they do happen to be Mormon, you can share a good laugh.

A lot of the christian books are in the back of the store by the new-age and other weird stuff.

It's no wonder that some book stores have to close.

Haven't bought a book in a while now. Someone suggested, Not A Fan. But I haven't heard much about it lately, so probably won't spend money for that.