Do they have 12-step programs for Librophiliacs?

Elphaba

I couldn't sleep last night, and so I started reading threads from over a year ago, and I had a blast.

And then I found this magical gem that I had completely forgotten about.

If you walk into a library, and without thinking, you stick your nose up and start sniffing the air, just to catch a waft of "book," then you will love this link.

Since I hadn't changed my mind, I decided to just re-post my original post below. I hope you'll add your choices to the list.

By the way, I was thinking I should hook up with Chanel and design a perfume called:

Book No. 5 for Men.

sigh . . . . If I were with a man who made me feel like I was in a library. . . . well, let's just say my stacks would be swooning!

So, do you think Coco will take my call?

Elphaba

Librophiliac Love Letter: A Compendium of Beautiful Libraries | Curious Expeditions

Whenever a therapist would take me on the predictable imagery trip to my "safe place," I inevitably ended up in a library. I've always felt safe surrounded by the stacks, and often chose to sleep there rather than in my apartment as a student, always lulled to sleep by the gorgeous smell of books.

I have just spent the last hour in awe looking at the most glorious of libraries, wondrous stacks and stacks of books, of which I can only imagine the magical smell I love so well.

I have actually been to one library on the blog, and that’s the Boston Copley Plaza Public Library. It is beautitful and I used to love finding the perfect book, the perfect spot, the perfect breathe, and the perfect forget.

My first choice among the greats was the Bodleian Library at Oxford, because I not only love books, but am an anglophile as well. Thus, the Bod seemed the perfect marriage of academia, librophilia, and anglophilia.

The picture of the Bodleian did not disappoint, though as I read the comments below I discovered the picture is actually of the Duke of Humphrey’s Library, located within the Bodleian. Works for me.

However, as my eyes marveled at all of this tradition and majesty, I kept coming back to the Library of the Benedictine Monastery of the Admont in Austria. I don’t really understand why, because it’s too, I don’t know, pretty for me. In fact it looks like a luscious wedding cake, with its many decorated layers held up by books frosted shut with pounds of sugared lard.

But it also speaks to the little princess inside of me who wants to live in a fairy castle. It’s so clean, blue and white that I’m sure there are bright copper kettles hiding somewhere amongst the brown paper packages tied up with string.

Yet, I know if were to spend a week in there I would be craving grumps and darkness and wood that looks like wood. And I love the ceiling that just screams haughty, arrogance, smoking pipes, and Newton.

I’ve always envied anyone who could go to Oxford. I just love the word. Oxford. Say it! Oxxfuurdd. Isn’t that a great word!

So, the Bodleian it is.

I'm totally in love with Books. . .well, and fabric. Hubby tries hard to keep me out of book and fabric stores. I'd be totally in heaven if someone would combine them. Hmmmmm maybe a library for fabric?:)

applepansy

Perhaps you could start a new profession. Sewing fabric book covers. Then you get the best of both worlds.

Elphie, thanks for reprinting your original post on this topic..I recall it well. Having always been a bookworm, my idea of the Food Storage programme is to cram as many bookcases and books into my home as possible, so I'll never have nothing to read, lol :)

There are a couple of interesting (I believe) libraries in Manchester, UK, but I haven't had the pleasure of visiting them yet..one holds original copies of books that are ancient..100's of years old, I would love to spend a day inside that place..I need to ask my friend to take me there with her sometime.

In Bolton, UK, there is a combined library/museum/aquarium! That is a great place to visit too, it's an old, Victorian building and is great to explore. The library in my hometown of Burnley is also an old, victorian building..inside it's been modernised recently so it doesn't have quite the effect that it had years ago, but it's still an interesting place to visit.

I wish the town I lived in now still had its Victorian library, the old library building is still around, it's quite small and is currently up for sale as offices. The replacement is a typical 1960's glass and metal afair which is quite uninspiring to be honest.

When my kids leave home I've already made plans to convert their bedrooms into joint Food Storage/Library spaces..I can't wait, lol, poor kids!

Perhaps you could start a new profession. Sewing fabric book covers. Then you get the best of both worlds.

Sew???? OH NO!!! Just have fabric in case I someday think I might want to sew. :o

Covers for Books? I love looking at the color of the bindings and dust covers. :huh:

Books all over. . . Fabric in one room. . . maybe that will work :P

I loved the website and all the pictures of amazing libraries :)

I just looked at the link and spotted an interior shot of the John Rylands library in Manchester, UK, which is one of the libraries I wish to visit at some point.

Here's a link to images of the Bolton Library/Museum/Aquarium:

Bolton Museum, Library, Art Gallery and Aquarium

Here's a link to information about the Burnley library which I've just discovered isn't a Victorian building afterall, it was built in the 1930's! Unfortunately there is only an outside view of the library..

lcl -

I couldn't sleep last night, and so I started reading threads from over a year ago, and I had a blast.

And then I found this magical gem that I had completely forgotten about.

If you walk into a library, and without thinking, you stick your nose up and start sniffing the air, just to catch a waft of "book," then you will love this link.

Since I hadn't changed my mind, I decided to just re-post my original post below. I hope you'll add your choices to the list.

By the way, I was thinking I should hook up with Chanel and design a perfume called:

Book No. 5 for Men.

sigh . . . . If I were with a man who made me feel like I was in a library. . . . well, let's just say my stacks would be swooning!

So, do you think Coco will take my call?

Elphaba

Librophiliac Love Letter: A Compendium of Beautiful Libraries | Curious Expeditions

as a librarian, i can agree with what you have said. :) there is no cure, by the way. it gets stronger and stronger.