1 Nephi 10:17

HoosierGuy

1 Nephi 10:17

15 And after this manner of language did my father prophesy and speak unto my brethren, and also many more things which I do not write in this book; for I have written as many of them as were expedient for me in mine other book.

16 And all these things, of which I have spoken, were done as my father dwelt in a tent, in the valley of Lemuel.

----

17 And it came to pass after I, Nephi, having heard all the words of my father, concerning the things which he saw in a vision, and also the things which he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost, which power he received by faith on the Son of God—and the Son of God was the Messiah who should come—I, Nephi, was desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is the gift of God unto all those who diligently seek him, as well in times of old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men.

QUOTES FOR DISCUSSION

Why would people want to “know of these things” for themselves?<O:p</O:p
You will then know for yourselves and not for another. You will not then be dependent on man for the knowledge of God.
Joseph Smith, Teachings, 11<O:p</O:p

Agreed.

This knowledge comes only through revelation. From God to man. Initmately, personally.

It even isn't a matter of simply reading the words. A lifetime of study can still yield no real understanding. And yet, a few moments of communion with God can bring new insights to simple and well-worn verses. It's amazing.

Coming to know these things is necessary for our own salvation. It's not optional.