10,000 Step a Day Program

pam

I've done this program in the past and loved it. Unfortunately I've gotten very much off track and wish to pursue it again starting the first of the year.

Everyone knows the benefits of walking. Whether it be in 15 minute increments or walks of 5 miles. Any activity is worthwhile.

Okay with this in mind, I'm interested in finding out if anyone else would be willing to join a group if I started one here on the site. It would be a support group of sorts. We could share our successes, our failures, what motivates us etc.

What you would need is a pedometer to track your steps during the day. Doesn't have to be an expensive one. I've had one that cost me less than $20 and still works after 4 years. We can report to each other how many steps per day we were able to get in. We can also challenge each other by "who walked more steps than who." I like a little friendly competition as a motivator at times.

I'm going to do this no matter what. Just thought it would be fun to have some friends join me.

I've gone ahead and set up a group. If you are interested, feel free to join. All are welcome. I will not be offended if there are no takers. Like I said..I'm doing it anyway no matter what.

Edited by pam

Hidden

How do I find the group? I'm still blundering around the site.

I have three pedometers. I bought the first one. Then I received a free one from McDonald's when they did an adult version of the Happy Meal (only healthy). Then my daughter bought one for a Young Women's Camp project her last year. She gave it to me. THREE!!!! And I forget to use them.

I'd like to join. . . Can someone come to my house and make me move? ;)

applepansy

I have done this a couple times with my employer. On work days I generally would go between 12,000 and 18,000 steps a day. While it's great for people who are not very active and motivational to get you moving, I found that as a fat burning tool, it did little for me. I did nothing out of the ordinary to reach those numbers.

I met with a personal trainer at my local fitness center for the first time ever yesterday and she started me on a weight and execise program aimed toward putting my heart rate into the fat-burning range quickly and that won't hurt so much that I will get burned out on it. One thing that I learned is that you shouldn't hold the handles while walking on a treadmill.

Edited by john doe

Hidden

I met with a personal trainer at my local fitness center for the first time ever yesterday and she started me on a weight and execise program aimed toward putting my heart rate into the fat-burning range quickly and that won't hurt so much that I will get burned out on it. One thing that I learned is that you shouldn't hold the handles while walking on a treadmill.

What kind of exercise "doesn't hurt so much"? I seriously need an exercise program like that.

applepansy

If treadmill time or eliptical trainer time counts then I am in.

Ben Raines

Treadmill certainly counts. Plus I'm trying to remember but bicycle and swiming count towards the 10,000 steps. I have to look it up. Some much time equated to the so many steps. I'll check it out.

I bought a treadmill about 2 months ago. It will for certainly count as it's walking. Any steps you take on a regular basis throughout the day count. It's surprising how many steps I get in just doing my job during the day. It's all about counting steps..not how you do them or accomplish them.

I have done this a couple times with my employer. On work days I generally would go between 12,000 and 18,000 steps a day. While it's great for people who are not very active and motivational to get you moving, I found that as a fat burning tool, it did little for me. I did nothing out of the ordinary to reach those numbers.

It's not for everyone. When I was at a sit down job all day long, I really had to work to get the 10,000 steps in. I was actually going to the mall at 5:30 every morning. Amazing how many people were there to get walking in.

The idea behind the program is to get people moving. Once I got moving I started adding other things in. Stretching, carrying weights while walking etc. It's a start with some.

How do I find the group? I'm still blundering around the site.

I have three pedometers. I bought the first one. Then I received a free one from McDonald's when they did an adult version of the Happy Meal (only healthy). Then my daughter bought one for a Young Women's Camp project her last year. She gave it to me. THREE!!!! And I forget to use them.

I'd like to join. . . Can someone come to my house and make me move? ;)

applepansy

Apple go to the top where it says "Groups." Then go to the health and fitness section. You will find the group I've created there. Let me know if you still can't find it. Would love to have you join me.

Here is what I found about cross training and the equivalency:

The 10,000 Steps program recognizes and encourages people to cross train and do different types of exercise such as swimming and cycling. Where a pedometer can't be used for accuracy or practical purposes, for instance it's difficult to wear a pedometer in the pool, the 10,000 Steps recommends a formula to convert your physical activity into steps.

As per the 10000steps.org.au website the exercise to steps conversion formula is:

10 minutes of moderate exercise = 1,000 steps (definition of moderate intensity exercise is still being able to hold a conversation - might be difficult to do that under water though!)

10 minutes of high intensity exercise = 2,000 steps (definition of high intensity is ( can't hold a conversation/not enough breath left to blow out a candle etc).

We started on the treadmill, will work up to the different cycles when the quads are up to the task. I believe the cycles are easier on the feet if that is a problem. The other cycles work on the quads more than the treadmill does. Actually, some muscle pain is good, it tells you the muscle has been working. If the pain gets to where you can't do it anymore, then you have worked too hard and it becomes counterproductive. Each person is different as to what that point is.

Eventually I would like to move up to other things. The walking program is a start. Other than at work I'm a pretty sedentary person but when I was doing it before I really felt good. Or felt a lot better than I do when I'm doing absolutely nothing.

The thing with this program is you don't have to start out doing 10,000 steps a day. If you have done no exercise before, start out with 2,000-3,000 a day and each week add more steps. It takes about 6 months to make this a true habit. So don't be discouraged. Everyone is different and has different levels and capabilities.

hahahahahaha that was awesome. *sings chocolate on my finger, icing on my lips*

Thanks apple that was great! Especially with gingerbread men!!! But how sad at the end. lololol I am sitting here just laughing.