Has anyone been successful in using the Ward websites?

Our stake uses the calendar function quite sucessfully. Our ward and the other ward in the building also use the calendar function. We have someone called to keep the leadership directory up to date, which is nice. We'll use the email distro function occasionally, to help reach people that aren't reachable in other ways - it works ok.

I can't say how many ward members actually use the thing, but those who do, find it relevant.

LM

I was the webmaster for the ward. Key is getting all the members to sign up and use the email function. Also the stake and ward calendar are excellent. As said key is to keep it updated.

Ben Raines

Ben....that part is easier said than done.....we have the same issue for our stake leadership directory....trying to get e mail info from all the High Councilors....

Thank you for your replies, They give me hope that maybe it will work this time. The previous bishopric tried to get the Ward Website to work for us but it never did. Mostly because nobody registered and those who did didn't want to receive emails. Maybe something has changed in the last 6+ years and it will work this time. I'm not too hopeful though. We have families that refuse to allow the internet into their homes and some who only allow dialup. Some of those are in leadership positions and refuse to give out their email address.

applepansy

Thank you for your replies, They give me hope that maybe it will work this time. The previous bishopric tried to get the Ward Website to work for us but it never did. Mostly because nobody registered and those who did didn't want to receive emails. Maybe something has changed in the last 6+ years and it will work this time. I'm not too hopeful though. We have families that refuse to allow the internet into their homes and some who only allow dialup. Some of those are in leadership positions and refuse to give out their email address.

applepansy

I have been in two wards.. not much luck with either ones site

I would recommend that those in leadership positions have an email for us members.. if they dont want to give out their private ones LDS Living has them for free.

its not easy for me to call people.. I usually have 2-3 kids making some kind of annoying noise when the phone is touched. LOL.. and mostly I do my communications at night.. when I am able to focus on my thoughts.. I communicate better by computer than phone as well. I dont like using the phone.. face to face or computer

as far as being connected.. I see enough members using blackberry's etc during sacrament.. I am sure they can use them elsewhere too

My final recommendation.. is that you take the announcements from the bulletin.. many times mine does not make it home

I would use ours much more often if it was functional

My final recommendation.. is that you take the announcements from the bulletin.. many times mine does not make it home

One of my callings is to type up the Bulletin/Sacrament Program. :D

Knowing the people behind this, I just don't see it working as they plan, which will result in more work for me. :eek:

applepansy

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I use the ward and stake website a lot. We mainly use it for member phone, address and email information. The main problems are updating the ward staff seem to take forever to be done and the calendar but that I am sure depends on who is doing it and are they getting the information that needs to be on the calendar. I think it is a great tool with a lot of potential to reach everyone in the ward and stake with a wealth of information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Several years ago I went to the leadership in my ward and offered to maintain a website for the ward. The answer they gave me was an emphatic, curt, and resounding NO.

I was very disappointed that they would not see the potential of the internet as a gospel tool, but I sustained my leaders and accepted their counsel.

I am hoping that some other time God will pave the way for me to serve such a function, according to His Will. I have decided that until then I am going to follow Elder Ballard's admonition for church members to be active on the internet as a whole, and raise their voices in testimony. :)