Service Dog question...

sister_in_faith

Okay, new delima for everyone. I have a service dog that goes with me everywhere, to work, to church, everywhere. I haven't taken her to the temple, because I didn't want to cause a stir, but I am possibly going out of town to a larger city that also has a temple. It will be a trip for work. I will, of course, bring my service dog. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving her crated at the hotel, or leaving her with anyone, plus being in an unfamiliar place, I need her with me. I would like to go to this temple and attend a couple of sessions. I would, of course, obtain permission first, but I wonder how you guys would feel about seeing a service dog in the temple. I want to be sensitive to others attending temple that day. I have a dark green vest with gold embridery on it that says service dog with a medical staff on it, but I am thinking, since she would be in the temple, maybe I should sew her a pure white vest to wear. Am I taking it too far? She is a black lab, and I'm not spray painting her. :sunny: so don't even ask! ^_^:rolleyes::cool:

If I were to see you walk into the Temple with a service dog, I'd do a double take, look a little cross-eyed, then smile, welcome you to the temple, and ask if you needed any additional assistance (since at this point I really don't know anything more about you than that you need a service dog).

I don't think it's necessary to sew a white vest for the dog, but if you do I guarantee all the old ladies at the temple will think it's the cutest thing ever.

by the way, have your bishop and stake president interviewed the dog? Has he put his paw print on a recommend?

EDIT: Oh, and I would definitely call ahead to the temple. They will likely have better instruction, etc. Also, if they know you're coming, and if they know when you're coming, they will probably mention it to the workers in their prayer meeting before the shift starts. That way, there would be no surprises or awkward moments of "what do we do now" when you get there.

Edited by MarginOfError

Okay, new delima for everyone. I have a service dog that goes with me everywhere, to work, to church, everywhere. I haven't taken her to the temple, because I didn't want to cause a stir, but I am possibly going out of town to a larger city that also has a temple. It will be a trip for work. I will, of course, bring my service dog. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving her crated at the hotel, or leaving her with anyone, plus being in an unfamiliar place, I need her with me. I would like to go to this temple and attend a couple of sessions. I would, of course, obtain permission first, but I wonder how you guys would feel about seeing a service dog in the temple. I want to be sensitive to others attending temple that day. I have a dark green vest with gold embridery on it that says service dog with a medical staff on it, but I am thinking, since she would be in the temple, maybe I should sew her a pure white vest to wear. Am I taking it too far? She is a black lab, and I'm not spray painting her. :sunny: so don't even ask! ^_^:rolleyes::cool:

what....no spray painting.....thats it.....:D

Service dogs are not allowed in the temple. If a person needs that kind of support then a temple worker is assigned to replace the dog while the patron is in the temple.

I would suggest calling the temple you plan to attend to ask if they have any suggestions for kenneling the dog while you're there.

applepansy

• 9 years later...
6 hours ago, Myhappilyeverafter said:

Applepansy, I've searched everywhere, but can't seem to find where it says no service dogs in the temple...can you let me know? I am also wanting to go to the temple, but need my service dog with me. Thanks!

I doubt you will get a response from applepansy since this thread is 10 years old.  :)

9 hours ago, Myhappilyeverafter said:

Applepansy, I've searched everywhere, but can't seem to find where it says no service dogs in the temple...can you let me know? I am also wanting to go to the temple, but need my service dog with me. Thanks!

Service dogs are not permitted in the temple. There are people there that can assist you. 

9 hours ago, Myhappilyeverafter said:

I would call the temple at least a couple of weeks before you plan to attend - not on a Saturday. Make sure that you call the temple that you plan to attend. Call about 20 minutes after a session begins. I would ask to speak to the temple president. Good luck!

Guest MormonGator

Sadly, I'm not sure that they are allowed in the temple. I'm sorry to say that, I know how important they are to some people. 

@Myhappilyeverafter

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2009/03/the-new-disabilities-web-site?lang=eng

For instance, some might wonder if a service animal is allowed in a Church building. The answer is yes; the only place service animals are not allowed is in the temple. There, temple ordinance workers are glad to offer assistance to anyone needing it. The site also advises members to be aware of local laws concerning service animals and places where those with disabilities might need additional assistance.

Also remember that "emotional support animals" are NOT considered service animals under the ADA.  Therefore, these pets are not allowed at Church.

However, some occasions may make it appropriate to bring an animal into the church (for the purposes of a lesson, for instance).  One should seek permission from ward leaders for such purposes.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

@Just_A_Guy could a blind person bring their seeing eye dog to the temple? If the church denied that, would they open themselves up to a lawsuit? 

If it were up to me - the answer would be no.  A temple worker would and should be assigned.  A dog cannot help them with things necessary for temple covenants.  I am concerned that too many people want to deal with G-d on their own terms and resist humility.

The Traveler

23 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

@Just_A_Guy could a blind person bring their seeing eye dog to the temple? If the church denied that, would they open themselves up to a lawsuit? 

Houses of worship are exempt from the ADA requirements for service dogs.

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I yield to @Carborendum, not being well-versed in that field of the law.  My suspicion would be that if ADA applied in that context it would be the blindness, not the dog, that would need to be “reasonably” accommodated.

On 12/29/2008 at 8:49 AM, sister_in_faith said:

First is this a seeing eye dog or other medically required animal? i.e for seizures etc? or is it just a feel good dog?

I don't think animals of any kind are allowed in the temple. 

I will assume it is a companion for comfort. Leave your dog at home in a kennel, or with a friend. If you insist on traveling with it leave it in the hotel in a crate for a day. We all need to remember that it is just a dog (not a person) and it will survive. 

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Traveler said:

If it were up to me - the answer would be no.  A temple worker would and should be assigned.  A dog cannot help them with things necessary for temple covenants. 

Woof. 

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Houses of worship are exempt from the ADA requirements for service dogs.

Woof Woof Woof. 

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I yield to @Carborendum, not being well-versed in that field of the law.  My suspicion would be that if ADA applied in that context it would be the blindness, not the dog, that would need to be “reasonably” accommodated.

Bark. Bark Bark Bark. 

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

1 hour ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

First is this a seeing eye dog or other medically required animal? i.e for seizures etc? or is it just a feel good dog?

I don't think animals of any kind are allowed in the temple. 

I will assume it is a companion for comfort. Leave your dog at home in a kennel, or with a friend. If you insist on traveling with it leave it in the hotel in a crate for a day. We all need to remember that it is just a dog (not a person) and it will survive. 

That brings up an item I had not thought of.  I have never seen a service dog in the temple and my first reaction would be that it was inappropriate (even without the guidance someone quoted above or reading anything else on it).  However, I have two relatives (brother in law, son in law) that have epilepsy.  A service dog CAN warn them of an oncoming attack and they have medications and other items (one has some sort of monitor or something near their chest that can release a medication I think) which they can respond with in these instances.

I know a Human simply cannot replace the animal in a situation like that.  This is off the wall, but what would happen if they could not bring the animal with them (And as far as I feel and can tell, it is inappropriate to bring the animal in, even a service dog) and then suffered a fatal epileptic attack or injurious (and the only reason for the animals and medication is because the seizures have gotten serious enough for bad injuries and some day may be fatal if they keep increasing in seriousness).  Would that bring up a lawsuit?  I would never sue over such a thing, but there may be those out there.  Would that be a legal item at all?

Once again, I do not feel, even in this situation, a service dog should be allowed in the temple, especially in some ordinances...however...the quoted posts above did bring that question to mind when thinking on it.