What to do for Mother's Day

MarginOfError

I don't know why this just occurred to me, but my bishop was asking me what we might get the women in our ward for Mother's Day this year. He really wants to do something super-thoughtful, but as far as I can tell, last year's attempt was something of a flop. What do you recommend/suggest giving to women on Mother's Day, or what have you seen given. I'd like to have some recommendations to give before the bishop decides to spend 1/3 of the Ward's budget on Mother's Day.

[old article but worthy of some gleaning to help you for a theme here]

Mother's day is a wonderful time to for each of us to take a moment and honor motherhood. Motherhood is not merely defined by the bearing and raising of children but is rather a statement regarding the divine nature of women. All women, whether or not they bear children, can fulfill the role of mothers. The work they do should also be remembered as we celebrate Mother's Day.

In her article, "One Thing Needful: Becoming Women of Greater Faith in Christ," Patricia T. Holland explained:

"In a poignant exchange with God, Adam states that he will call the woman Eve. And why does he call her Eve? 'Because she [is] the mother of all living.' (Genesis 3:20; Moses 4:26.)

"...Eve was given the identity of 'the mother of all living' --years, decades, perhaps centuries before she ever bore a child. It would appear that her motherhood preceded her maternity, just as surely as the perfection of the Garden preceded the struggles of mortality. I believe mother is one of those very carefully chosen words, one of those rich words--with meaning after meaning after meaning. We must not, at all costs, let that word divide us. I believe with all my heart that it is first and foremost a statement about our nature, not a head count of our children.

"...some women give birth and raise children but never 'mother' them. Others, whom I love with all my heart, 'mother' all their lives but have never given birth. And all of us are Eve's daughters, whether we are married or single, maternal or barren. We are created in the image of the Gods to become gods and goddesses." (Ensign, October 1987, pp. 32-33)

Last year the young men and women volunteered a night of watching all the wards kids. They did it I think the Tuesday after Mothers Day. They watched all the kids in the gym at church and had snacks. It was nice. Free baby sitting! Though, that wasn't anything the ward planned, just the youth.

As far as 'ward presents' the only thing I've ever seen was little potted flowers.

Last year the young men and women volunteered a night of watching all the wards kids. They did it I think the Tuesday after Mothers Day. They watched all the kids in the gym at church and had snacks. It was nice. Free baby sitting! Though, that wasn't anything the ward planned, just the youth.

As far as 'ward presents' the only thing I've ever seen was little potted flowers.

Lol...just thinking about how this might work in my ward. We have about 6 youth, spread over about two families. One of the families (two young women and one young man) is constantly traveling and is out of the country or attending another ward at least half the time because the youth are all internationally renown violin prodigies.

On the flip side, we have over half the adults in the ward serving in Primary, including our three -- count 'em, THREE -- nursery classes.

Yeah, I don't think this idea would work very well for us. :)

We always get a potted flower, which I like very much. I have heard of wards giving out chocolate, but have never been in one! Alas.

Hemi, thanks for your post. I was once asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting on Mother's Day. My topic was about how the Gospel helps me as a mother....I spoke at length of the motherly things I have learned and can apply outside of my experience as a literal mother of children.

i hate getting potted plants or long stemmed anything in church.... know what happens to mine? the potted plants get dumped in the church or the car before we ever get home and i tend to kill anything that isn't a mammal anyway so if it did make it home it's a waste of money.... the long stemmed flowers end up being short stemmed flowers before we get home and half the petals have been chewed up and spit out somewhere in several locations of the building. then i feel obligated to clean all this up..... ugh... sorry guys but if most of the women have small kids hang it up it's not sweet. lol

the cd's sound cool, will someone email my branch pres?

I tend to shy away from anything and everything that says "Mother's Day". I don't even go, because of the hurt that is associated with not being a mother. I cannot give you a recommandation of what to do, but I can urge you to be mindful to those that mourn on this day. Being motherless, childless in our midst is extremely hard and speaking from experience it brings many many tears.

In the 3 wards I've lived in in the past 15 years, they have always given out a 4" potted garden plant. One ward was geraniums, the other 2 were marigolds.

And I always hated getting those.

I don't know what the budget is for your ward, but here's some thoughts from one woman.

Don't do flowers--of any sort. Typically, women like flowers from their honey...getting them in sacrament meeting just isn't as special as some would like to think.

Something to collect dust isn't a good idea....because it collects dust and will either require cleaning or be given to DI.

Something that is consumable is a good idea. Things such as bath salts, candles, CHOCOLATE, etc. The women in our ward always prepare pies and serves slices after church for Father's Day....why can't that happen for the women (and have the men serve and clean up--not the RS).

A CD or DVD from the Church would be a great idea. Or perhaps a book. The Distribution Center has a lot of things on there for really cheap (especially if you buy in bulk).

And....there are some single sisters that really have a hard time on Mother's Day. Please, please, please PLEASE!!! don't make the women stand up to receive a gift. If you can't tell who is a woman, just hand the gift to the person. Make sure that any women who may not be there receives a gift as well....HT would be a great resource to make sure their HTees receive a gift.

Or perhaps a book. The Distribution Center has a lot of things on there for really cheap (especially if you buy in bulk).

I worked with our RS President on this and she would look for a booklet or a small book that talked about Sisterhood,Motherhood, etc. We would give these away on that day instead of flowers.

I have gotten the same book 3 different times. When you belong to the same ward for several years, they need to be a little more original. Not that that book is a bad idea...but not year after year.

This year I'm in a new ward..so will see what this ward does.

I have gotten the same book 3 different times. When you belong to the same ward for several years, they need to be a little more original. Not that that book is a bad idea...but not year after year.

This year I'm in a new ward..so will see what this ward does.

Did you ever get huge chocolate cookie packaged in a small basket with thankyou card for being a mother? :D

I tend to shy away from anything and everything that says "Mother's Day". I don't even go, because of the hurt that is associated with not being a mother. I cannot give you a recommandation of what to do, but I can urge you to be mindful to those that mourn on this day. Being motherless, childless in our midst is extremely hard and speaking from experience it brings many many tears.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had the experience of feeling ostracized at church on Mother's Day. I've been fortunate in each ward I've been in since the age of 18ish (with the exception of on my mission) to be included in the flower giveaway or whatever, even when I wasn't yet married. My husband has also taken care each year to give me a little gift on Mother's Day, even though our third year married was the first time I was actually a mother.

I don't know what the budget is for your ward, but here's some thoughts from one woman.

Don't do flowers--of any sort. Typically, women like flowers from their honey...getting them in sacrament meeting just isn't as special as some would like to think.

I agree. Flowers are nice, but much nicer when someone actually puts thought into them. And please, don't ever give me a potted plant...I, like Gwen, will manage to kill it before I get home.

Something that is consumable is a good idea. Things such as bath salts, candles, CHOCOLATE, etc. The women in our ward always prepare pies and serves slices after church for Father's Day....why can't that happen for the women (and have the men serve and clean up--not the RS).

Last year's gift in my ward was a bust, but the guys did brownies and ice cream in addition to the gift. Oh my, those brownies were soooooooo good.

Our ward gives out little boxes of chocolate truffles and a rose. The truffles come from some place in Utah and taste very good.

Ben Raines

How do YOU know what they taste like? :)