Magnifying your calling

georgia2

What do you think is magnifying your calling?

When I get a calling, I get the information out of the general handbook and see what exactly the calling entails, what I am supposed to do, am responsible for. Then I try to do it.

In the ward I am now in it in seems like no one else does this. It seems like people do the minimum or don't really know what their calling really is. It is frustrating to me because all of the callings reflect on each other and create an organized well functioning machine. If some don't know what they are supposed to be doing, they won't be doing it which causes a domino effect which ends up affecting everybody.

I know I should be worried about what I am responsible for and make sure and do that. How do I keep from letting what others don't do affect me so much? When you know how good it can be? :wacko::shout:

I would think this is a common problem in most wards because the ward is made up of people. Some do more than expected, some less, and some not at all. We are all given the charge to magnify our calling and those that do will be blessed for making that effort.

My thoughts are to learn your duty as you indicate from the Handbook, then work to not only perform those duties but then to seek to grow and learn by taking advantage of every opportunity that avails itself.

Example: A good teacher will spend the time necessary to get to know each and every student and build a personal relationship with each one. To understand their needs and help them grow and learn. To work with the parents to develop the potential of each child. To send each a birthday card. etc. Make each feel special. For some this may mean an extra portion of love, a hug, a praise.

Most Wards have the problem you describe to some degree or another. All you can do is your best.

"Magnify your calling" means to do all you can within your scope of influence or rather within your calling.

I know how hard it can be when others don't do their part and it makes your calling more difficult. If its a big problem First PRAY about it, then let your auxilliary President or one of the counselors know. Wait. If you don't see changes that make things better, then its ok to PRAY again before talking to member of the Bishopric over the auxilliary your calling is in. After that. . . you just do your best regardless if anything changes or not and continue to Pray.

We never understand why people are in the callings they are in. Sometimes it makes no sense, ever, AND sometimes it makes perfect sense. But I know it always makes sense to the Lord.

I have health issues that make it difficult to hold a calling that requires me to be there every Sunday, prepared to do whatever. So of course I was called to a calling that required me to be prepared every day. . . Compassionate Service in Relief Society. I had no idea how this would work out. I was hesitant, the Bishop was hesitant, the Relief Society President (new) was adamant but didn't know why. I was in for six months. Looking back I was a burden to the RS pres most of the time, but there is one situation where I feel that my life experiences helped tremendously. I know if I hadn't been in that calling at that time our ward would have responded to the issue differently. So while I made life harder for a busy RS Pres for awhile, I know the Lord put me where I needed to be.

I learned a lot too, which is how all callings you "magnify" will work out.

Good Luck,

applepansy

I personally like to be able to say at the end of the day: I did the very best I could do. I did everything in my power to accomplish what I was asked to do. Many see callings as just something more to do in an already hectic life.

I take a lot of these things kind of personal. In many ways I'm a perfectionist. (wish I was when it came to a clean house but anyway).

I just think part of magnifying our calling as a church member is to support people in their calling like Applepansy said we don't know why the Lord called them, the one situation they can help in may have eternal consequences whereas the annoyance caused by not doing it properly may just be mortal..... rather than getting annoyed I find offering help works really well in some cases the person is doing their best,

For me magnifying my calling is serving the people we have been called to serve with love, remembering them etc the book is minimum we need to do, and sometimes people do the minimum in some areas or less than but maximise it in others

-Charley

As my Mission President would say from time to time....I didn't call them...someone did and I have to accept who they send to me...:D

:) I remember shortly after my baptism asking my Branch President's wife how she could feed missionaries when they apparently awful specimen's lol she said she might not like them all but she doesn't know why the Lord sent him to our the area but he did and she accepted that.

That allowed me to grit my teeth and invite all missionaries into my home even the ones I had to hold hands behind my back so I didn't slap em lol I just kept thinking maybe they were someone's missionary

-Charley

I just think part of magnifying our calling as a church member is to support people in their calling like Applepansy said we don't know why the Lord called them, the one situation they can help in may have eternal consequences whereas the annoyance caused by not doing it properly may just be mortal..... rather than getting annoyed I find offering help works really well in some cases the person is doing their best,

For me magnifying my calling is serving the people we have been called to serve with love, remembering them etc the book is minimum we need to do, and sometimes people do the minimum in some areas or less than but maximise it in others

-Charley

I totally agree but it seems people in my ward think you are stepping on their toes, butting in on their calling instead of accepting your effort as what it really is, you supporting them in THEIR calling. I come from a city ward, where it wasn't this way, now I live in a country ward where the attitudes are entirely different.

I totally agree but it seems people in my ward think you are stepping on their toes, butting in on their calling instead of accepting your effort as what it really is, you supporting them in THEIR calling. I come from a city ward, where it wasn't this way, now I live in a country ward where the attitudes are entirely different.

I've lived in several different "City" wards and a few different "Country" wards. Problems in wards are not exclusive to an area. The most unfriendly ward I've ever lived in was in the City. Two of the wards, which I considered most friendly. . . one was City and one was Country.

My sister's "Country" ward has a division between the new move-ins and the families who have lived there all their life. My "Country" ward overcame that problem. The families who have lived here all their life, have opened the hearts to new members.

My point is as with people (no two are alike), Wards are the same. When I was young I had been complaining about my new ward (just after getting married) and a co-worker reminded me that you get out of a ward what you put into it. Very wise and true advice, which I have put into practice.

The key: Do not be easily offended. Just do your best. Be of service, cheerful, friendly, etc. It is amazing what one person can do over time to change a "ward" attitude.

applepansy

Maybe sending them a card letting you know you appreciate what they do for you, when they get it right say thank you. Keeping an eye on your VT and HT assignements. I can support my RS President by not adding to the sniping, gossiping etc that goes on. Be the first to say can I help you with that table etc

Applepansy is right a ward is what you make it yourself, I know that is not easy, believe me its been a hard lesson, but I also have managed 12 years of my church membership not having problems at church, 5 with in exactly the same branch. When I went to my Stake Presidency for advice one of the counsellors he shared with me the wedge of discouragement about how each member of a branch or ward can choose to spread discouragement which can start small and then grow big, or they can choose to be less discouraged.

Like Brigham Young said those that take offence when none is intended are fools and those that take it when it is intended are usually fools. I was a fool for letting people bully me and for being drawn in and helping create problems in my branch, my repentance is fixing them and sustaining people in their callings

-Charley

My sister's "Country" ward has a division between the new move-ins and the families who have lived there all their life.

This is the case in my Ward.

The key: Do not be easily offended. Just do your best. Be of service, cheerful, friendly, etc. It is amazing what one person can do over time to change a "ward" attitude.

After a year of feeling invisible and not wanting to go to church, I began again to be myself and not let it get to me when people would not speak or did not include me when I was standing right next to someone that they did "see". Now, three years later, I just smile and speak to them just as if they treated me the same in return. I find it comical to see the look of surprise on their face when I am so friendly to them. STILL. They don't offend, but it is still irritating.

Hidden

I understand how you feel. Hang in there. It will change with time. They will get used to you and eventually have to work with you in a calling.

When we first moved into our current ward (15 years ago) one of the sister's daughters, who also lived in the ward, adopted a baby. I sat nest to her holding the newborn and commented on how beautiful the baby was. She deliberatly turned her back to me without a word. For the last 5 years my husband and her husband have served in the Bishopric together. I don't think she even remembers the incident. I laugh about it . . . we are great friends now.

The Primary President when we moved in was the one who had the change of heart and decided that all the children were her "family." It made a big difference which has reached across many isles and many differences. From what I've been told prior to when we moved in there was a great division.

Just be you and do your best.

One other suggestion: avoid gossip at all costs, even avoid the appearance of gossip. My husband and I do not talk about anyone to anyone else, EVER! Not even about things that would be benign in any other ward. We just do not talk about anyone. In a rural ward where there are many family members in the same ward gossip is social suicide.

Remember, You have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

If you really want to get noticed try sitting in a different pew each week :eek: Since my husband was released we do that now. A few other older couples are doing it now too. Fun! Fun! :D It has changed the atmosphere in church.

Good Luck and stay strong,

applepansy

P.S. Another way to make a postive impact is start something fun. A knitting group, an exercise group, a book group, etc. Invite everyone and make sure its not a "club." Make whatever you choose to do a party and a fun place to be. You'll be surprised how many of the original members or the younger family members of the original members will come around. Recruit other sisters to help you get it started.

You hit the nail square! In a word Magnifying ones calling is all about the "ATTITUDE" one has while in that calling. :)

What do you think is magnifying your calling?

When I get a calling, I get the information out of the general handbook and see what exactly the calling entails, what I am supposed to do, am responsible for. Then I try to do it.

In the ward I am now in it in seems like no one else does this. It seems like people do the minimum or don't really know what their calling really is. It is frustrating to me because all of the callings reflect on each other and create an organized well functioning machine. If some don't know what they are supposed to be doing, they won't be doing it which causes a domino effect which ends up affecting everybody.

I know I should be worried about what I am responsible for and make sure and do that. How do I keep from letting what others don't do affect me so much? When you know how good it can be? :wacko::shout:

Here is something that may shed some light:

Members of the Church are like the branches and leaves on a great tree. They are on the tree, but that alone does not save them. If they do not receive the nourishment and sustaining power that comes from Christ, who is the trunk (whose sustaining power is carried to them by the Holy Ghost only as they make themselves worthy to receive it), then they wither and fall away like dry leaves. Of this, President John Taylor said: "As a Saint you say, 'I think I understand my duty, and I am doing very well.' That may be so. You see the little twig: it is green; it flourishes and is the very picture of life. It bears its part and proportion in the tree, and is connected with the stem, branches, and root. But could the tree live without it? Yes, it could. It need not boast itself and get uplifted and say, 'How green I am! and how I flourish! and what a healthy position I am in! How well I am doing! and I am in my proper place and am doing right.' But could you do without the root? No: you bear your proper part and position in the tree. Just so with this people. When they are doing their part-when they are magnifying their calling, living their religion, and walking in obedience to the Spirit of the Lord, they have a portion of his Spirit given to them to profit withal. And while they are humble, faithful, diligent, and observe the laws and commandments of God, they stand in their proper position on the tree: they are flourishing; the buds, blossoms, leaves, and everything about them are all right, and they form a part and parcel of the tree." (John Taylor in JD 6:108.) (LTJA, p. 167.)

President George Albert Smith, that modest yet effective leader, declared, "It is your duty first of all to learn what the Lord wants and then by the power and strength of His holy Priesthood to magnify your calling in the presence of your fellows in such a way that the people will be glad to follow you."