To Every Thing There Is A Season

KeithLBrown

Today, Sunday, 4 January 2009 was a day of mixed emotions for me. I found myself to be both joyous and also a little sad. For you see, today our ward was reorganized and I was released as the First Counselor in the Bishopric.

I felt joy because I know in my heart that I humbly served and strived to do those things which Heavenly Father would have expected me to do. There is no doubt that I made some mistakes along the way, but I did everything in a spirit of love, humility and gratitude. The Lord knows my heart and He truly knows of my love for the people of our ward. I also felt joy because now I will move on to do other work that the Father has planned for me to do in His vineyard. I view every calling that I have had up to this point as training and preparation for the things that are yet to come. Carefully reviewing the pages of my Patriarchal Blessing, I have been promised many great and wonderful things and added responsibilities in the Church if I remain faithful and true to the commandments of our Heavenly Father.

At the same time I felt a little sad and even became a bit emotional as I bore my testimony because suddenly the reality of it all hit me and I realized that I would no longer serve my ward in this capacity. It is hard after serving in two Bishoprics to let go as it were and realize that the Lord has called someone new to the position, but I am reminded that the Lord has work for me to do in other parts of His vineyard and my being released after several years of faithful service is a necessary step in preparing me for the days ahead and the work that is to be done.

As I mentioned in my testimony today, "I do not know what tomorrow may bring, but I can testify to you that I do know the One who holds all tomorrows. He alone knows the plan for my life that has already been set. I humbly pray that I will always like Nephi of old be willing to go and do those things which the Lord doth command."

In Ecclesiates 3:1 we read, "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" A season in my life has just ended and a new season has begun. I look forward to my next calling and serving wherever and in whatever capacity the Lord would have me to serve.

As I mentioned in my testimony today, "I do not know what tomorrow may bring, but I can testify to you that I do know the One who holds all tomorrows. He alone knows the plan for my life that has already been set. I humbly pray that I will always like Nephi of old be willing to go and do those things which the Lord doth command."

Well said Keith.......:)

When you put your heart and soul in to a calling, it always hurts to let it go. It is your mind set. It has been your responsibility and now it isn't. This is hard.

But as you know, you will soon have another responsibility that you can study about and learn and grow in another capacity. Sometimes we get released as other changes are about to happen so that we will be ready to accept that challenge also. We are on an exciting journey! A journey back home!

It is hard to let go of callings that mean a great deal to us. They are usually the ones that stretched us in new and humbling ways. Or ones where we put our heart and soul into some success.

The great part of the church is that each calling is designed to be something like that. There really isn't one that is greater that they other....just different spheres of influence and opportunities for us to stretch in different directions.

Perhaps one season of your life is over, but whose to say there isn't some calling waiting for you around the corner! ;) Some job that you have been prepared for. Or some task that will challenge what you thought was your strength.

Good luck in whatever comes next. Joy the journey and power to live in the opportunity of today!

Happy New Year.

I was just called last week to be the Scoutmaster. This is a calling that when I move to a new ward I make sure the Bishop understands is one I love. I believe that Scouting is different than most of the other callings in the church. Scouting, as the activity arm of the Priesthood, is a program that is not designed by LDS church but implemented by them.

I hope to be Scoutmaster for life.

Keith, thank you for your service in the kingdom. I am sure that your next calling will be another opportunity for growth.

Ben Raines

Ben, It can be. My Father-in-law served in scouting in one way or another even while being Bishop three times. He eventually received a Silver Beaver. Keep up the good work. The boys need someone like you who enjoys Scouting and has a wonderful understanding of the gospel.

Keith, Just a few months ago I watched my husband go through what you're going through. It is difficult. Give yourself time to breath and relax and even grieve a little. Giving yourself the time to let go will help when that next calling comes. For us, it was Ward Mission Leader . . . he's going to more meetings now than he did before. :lol:

Onward,

applepansy

Even after my interview with the First Counselor of the Stake Presidency on Saturday morning, I do not think that reality truly set in until it was my turn to speak. As I looked into the faces of the congregation that I had served as a member of two Bishoprics for a collective 7 years, I was deeply touched and moved as I thanked them for their faith and testimonies. I also expressed the fact that I had been blessed to be both the teacher and a student and that in all fairness and honesty I had probably learned the most as a student as I was blessed to sit and talk with several of them one on one. I also expressed my thanks to them for their love, warmth, and smiles that I so desperately needed at times in my own personal life.

I truly appreciate all of the comments that have been posted. I plan to enjoy some "down time" for the next few weeks (hopefully :-)). It will seem strange getting up on Sunday morning and not having to be at Church until 9:30am for Sacrament meeting. I will get to sit in the audience and I will also be able to attend a full Sunday School class and Priesthood meeting. With this release I am no longer over finances or the Bishopric representative for the Single Adults. So, being able to go home after the block and not having any meetings to attend for a while will also seem strange, but I am sure I can handle it. I know that before long I will be doing other work that will keep me quite busy and this is Heavenly Father's way of letting me rest and reflect for just a short while.

I was just called last week to be the Scoutmaster. This is a calling that when I move to a new ward I make sure the Bishop understands is one I love. I believe that Scouting is different than most of the other callings in the church. Scouting, as the activity arm of the Priesthood, is a program that is not designed by LDS church but implemented by them.

Keith, thank you for your service in the kingdom. I am sure that your next calling will be another opportunity for growth.

Ben Raines

When we first moved to the area we live in now , it was about 23yrs ago. I was called to be the Scoutmaster and served in that calling for about 3 yrs. When I was released I have always been involved in Scouting to some degree. I have been a Merit Badge councilor and still do that today. I went to Wood Badge Training back in 1996 and had a great time. Ben I hope you enjoy this calling and get to know the young men. Good luck to you....:)

Even after my interview with the First Counselor of the Stake Presidency on Saturday morning, I do not think that reality truly set in until it was my turn to speak. As I looked into the faces of the congregation that I had served as a member of two Bishoprics for a collective 7 years, I was deeply touched and moved as I thanked them for their faith and testimonies. I also expressed the fact that I had been blessed to be both the teacher and a student and that in all fairness and honesty I had probably learned the most as a student as I was blessed to sit and talk with several of them one on one. I also expressed my thanks to them for their love, warmth, and smiles that I so desperately needed at times in my own personal life.

I truly appreciate all of the comments that have been posted. I plan to enjoy some "down time" for the next few weeks (hopefully :-)). It will seem strange getting up on Sunday morning and not having to be at Church until 9:30am for Sacrament meeting. I will get to sit in the audience and I will also be able to attend a full Sunday School class and Priesthood meeting. With this release I am no longer over finances or the Bishopric representative for the Single Adults. So, being able to go home after the block and not having any meetings to attend for a while will also seem strange, but I am sure I can handle it. I know that before long I will be doing other work that will keep me quite busy and this is Heavenly Father's way of letting me rest and reflect for just a short while.

I can relate to what you are saying. When I was released this last time as Branch President I had served close to 8yrs. I was very very lost for quite sometime. I was called to serve as the Stake Young Mens President right away and I served in that for a little over a year and was recently released and called back to the High Council. I was assigned to a Branch and told to go there as often as I could and get to know the members there and become a part of that Branch. I enjoy it alot and you to will enjoy your new calling.