Reverence Children in Sacrament Meeting

bigskizzle

I remember a time (and many wards still do) when primary children were used as examples of reverence by standing at the front of the chapel with arms folded. I thought that this practices was done away with. Does any one know of a letter, statement or proclamation that the church sent out to verify this or is it still acceptable to practice?

Huh, I've never heard of this. But this seems to answer a question I've had for a long time. I noticed children and mothers, when leaving the chapel for whatever reason, walk with folded arms. I could never understand why...thought it was some weird Utah Mormon thing. Now I know it's not a weird Utah Mormon thing, but rather a leftover from their primary days.

I understand but I'd hope they consider the children's developmental level and ability first. :)

they didn't do it the whole meeting, just the last few min before the meeting started to remind others that it was time to prepare for the meeting. once the meeting started they would go sit with their family.

i don't think i've seen it done since i was in primary. i have mixed feelings about it. when i was in primary it was the noisy kids that always got asked. i can kinda see how that got started. i've employed similar tactics with my kids.

our whole family was out shopping and my 5 yr old is bad to run off so i asked him to keep an eye on the 13 yr old. told him "you know we have to keep a close eye on him, he likes to wander off. don't let him. can you help me by keeping him with the family?" lol that was a fun trip. he was very committed to his job. and yes the 13 yr old was in on it and the two of them had a lot of fun, staying with the family. every time the 5 yr old would start to wander i'd ask him "where is.. i'm depending on you to keep up with him for me" he would immediately go hold his hand. much easier than getting after the 5 yr old all the time.

I understand but I'd hope they consider the children's developmental level and ability first. :)

The idea with this is....about 5 minutes before the meeting starts two children that are Primary aged go to the front of the Chapel while the prelude music is playing. As adults enter the chapel they see 2 children at front of chapel with arms folded standing quietly, thus sending a nice message to all other adults as they walk in to ZIP the lips....it usually takes place about 5 minutes before the Service starts. Once the service starts the children return to sit with their families.

We were recently (in the past week) instructed by the Stake Presidency that reverence children were no longer to be used. I don't know if this direction originated from the Stake or from somewhere else. However, it was accompanied by direction that choirs were no longer to provide prelude music for Sacrament and that we are to be sure we do not add to (or take away from) the Sacrament meeting description in the Church Handbook of Instructions.

We've had them in our ward, but it's always been amusing to me. They don't look reverent. They look bored and pained to be there. Half the time they won't do it without their parents being up there with them. Either that, or the family whose child is designated is late anyway.

Hmmm, our were still up this week, Maybe it's just your stake?

Its either the Stake Pres or the area Presidency making that change....

Yeah, I was curious if anyone else got the same instruction. I probably would have blown it off except for the way they phrased it around making changes. Good to know we're just weird. :)

I remember a time (and many wards still do) when primary children were used as examples of reverence by standing at the front of the chapel with arms folded. I thought that this practices was done away with. Does any one know of a letter, statement or proclamation that the church sent out to verify this or is it still acceptable to practice?

It is up to the Stake President and his local Bishops to determine what is needed in his area of responsibility. It is still being practiced.

• 14 years later...
On 1/11/2009 at 7:57 PM, MarginOfError said:

We were recently (in the past week) instructed by the Stake Presidency that reverence children were no longer to be used. I don't know if this direction originated from the Stake or from somewhere else. However, it was accompanied by direction that choirs were no longer to provide prelude music for Sacrament and that we are to be sure we do not add to (or take away from) the Sacrament meeting description in the Church Handbook of Instructions.

This is old information.  The 2023 Handbook actually indicates that prelude and postlude music should be provided.

18 hours ago, M Tolm said:

This is old information.  The 2023 Handbook actually indicates that prelude and postlude music should be provided.

MOE had mentioned choirs being used as prelude music. He didn't say that there shouldn't be ANY prelude music. The organ or piano is and has always been acceptable for prelude and postlude music.