Virtue

celloplyr4lyfe

You never really think about what the values really MEAN, QUOTE]

I've never been a part of Young Women's as an official leader. However, I have been to Girls Camp four of the last five years. Every year the leaders and girls focused on what the values really MEAN. I would say that if you were to ask any of the older girls in our ward at any time they could tell you exactly what each value in the Young Women's Theme really means.

To me Virtue means a strong adherance to moral values. When I used the word moral I mean all moral issues, not just physical moral issues. Virtue can stand alone or encompass all the other YW values. Virtue means to keep all your thoughts and actions pure on all subjects.

applepansy

I didn't know that they added a new value. I am so glad to hear this! I think young women are inundated with images of unvirtuous conduct and dress and definitions of what a "woman" is and what makes her good. Virtuous living is a lost art in this modern free for all culture and I am glad to see our church again standing up for something right and teaching young women truth in the face of so much distortion.

I didn't know that they added a new value. I am so glad to hear this! I think young women are inundated with images of unvirtuous conduct and dress and definitions of what a "woman" is and what makes her good. Virtuous living is a lost art in this modern free for all culture and I am glad to see our church again standing up for something right and teaching young women truth in the face of so much distortion.

I agree!

applepansy

Some bakground: LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Virtues of Righteous Daughters of God

From President Gordon B. Hinckley:

My dear young women, what a wonderful sight you are in this great hall. You are accompanied by your mothers, grandmothers, and teachers. Beyond this Conference Center hundreds and thousands of others are assembled across the world. They will hear us in more than a score of languages. Our speeches will be translated into their native tongues. The opportunity to speak to you is an overwhelming responsibility. But it is also a wonderful opportunity. I pray for the direction of the Holy Spirit in that which I say.

Others have eloquently addressed the theme of this meeting. I only mention it. It is the revealed word of the Lord found in the 121st section of the Doctrine and Covenants. It reads as follows:

“Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven.

“The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever” (vv. 45–46).

Could there be a greater promise to anyone than these remarkable words of revelation from the Lord? These are the words of God, given in revelation to the Prophet Joseph. They carry with them a magnificent promise to all who will let virtue garnish their thoughts unceasingly.

reference: LDS.org - Ensign Article - Let Virtue Garnish Thy Thoughts Unceasingly

for me its an innate strength and selfworth, allowing you to stand for goodness even though you are the only one,. like when I was little and picked on at school or not making friends my Gran would say, well your quite pretty, your alright with God, and alright with me, and you know your doing the right things, so what do they matter

-Charley

Edited by Elgama

You never really think about what the values really MEAN, QUOTE]

I've never been a part of Young Women's as an official leader. However, I have been to Girls Camp four of the last five years. Every year the leaders and girls focused on what the values really MEAN. I would say that if you were to ask any of the older girls in our ward at any time they could tell you exactly what each value in the Young Women's Theme really means.

applepansy

pans, you took the words almost out of my mouth. having been a beehive, mia maid, and laurel president growing up, i know that we always stressed the importance of what the values really MEAN. we made our personal progress goals have something significantly related to the actual values. our activities would have something to do with a value. our sunday devotionals given by the girls in the ward were about specific values. our camps were organized around making sure we understood the values. i have heard the programs have somewhat changed in the last 10 years since i was a laurel, but i would hope the YW program hasn't changed so much that the importance of the YW values has been de-emphasized?

anyways...on to the topic...

to me, virtue somewhat goes hand in hand with some of the other values. when i think of virtue i think of being pure, being clean, being chaste. when i think of virtue, i think of a young woman walking down the hallways of school who is dressed modestly. a girl who you can tell "stands as a witness of God in all times, in all things, and in all places".

a thought came to mind as I was thinking about the new value...

i remember the year I went into young womens. It was december, before all our birthdays and the girls who were already in the program had an activity one sunday which they invited all the upcoming young women to. a sort of, welcome to young women night. the focus of the activity was to teach us all about the new values. the upcoming young women were separated into groups and there were 7 different rooms we went to. each room represented a different value. the young women presented each value (a girl from the beehives, mia maids and laurels in each room). Perhaps this is why i feel such a strong connection to the values, and feel they were always emphasized to us. From the beginning, before we even entered into the program ourselves, they were being taught to us.....just a thought...

for me its an innate strength and selfworth, allowing you to stand for goodness even though you are the only one,. like when I was little and picked on at school or not making friends my Gran would say, well your quite pretty, your alright with God, and alright with me, and you know your doing the right things, so what do they matter

-Charley

You truly amaze me....;)

You truly amaze me....;)

umm lol thank you I think:)my Gran was most virtuous woman whatever anyone else said - everything she did was such innate common sense and 90% selfless I think she was teaching me virtue with those words and for me thats what it is - if you are living the 2 great commandments really what else is important. If your alright in yourself and with God.

My Gran is why my avatar and our family motto is Be Your Own Kind of Beautiful or as my daughter's tshirt says Always Unique Never Ordinary its not often I approve of slogan Tshirts but it worked for my daughter lol She evaluates people now by acknowledging they are their own kind of beautiful and then she decides if she likes their kind of beautiful. I would like another along the lines of Be Heavenly Father's Idea of Beautiful which I am working on

Charley

Edited by Elgama