uh...i don't get it!!!

mel6890

It has been explained here a few times and I was trying to find one of the threads. I do know that in Judaism, they don't spell out the entire name of God.

I found this on a website:

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better.

I had one person explain to me they don't spell it out so that it can't come back and be used in vain. That was their personal reason.

ok whats the deal with g-d, i've never seen that before??? you know the spelling god with a hyphen

Since I am one that does so I will give a few of my reasons:

1. The ancients that gave us the scriptures never spelled out any reference to G-d.

2. The internet has the ability to reach almost anywhere in the world. There are many that come to sites like this one to learn of Christianity - specifically of the LDS faith. Many cultures forbid the copying of any text that spell out any reference to G-d. Out of respect to such cultures and so that they can copy my post to show other if they wish I do not spell out G-d.

3. I have a personal covenant concerning the internet to not cast my pearls before swine. I spell G-d as a constant reminder to me that all reading may not have the same reverence of sacred things that I do.

I thought I would add a footnote - from time to time I will recieve an e-mail from someone (usually that does not post because they fear responses in a language in which they are not proficent) that thank me for not spelling out G-d.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

• 5 months later...

I'm a native Israeli. I would like to point some things out. The ancients did spell out the name of God in the scriptures. When it came to other writings they prefered not to, and would use titles (lord for exmple), initials, acronyms or substitute some letters. This was done out of respect, so as not to profane the name. The hyphen is only used in latin and cyrillic scripts.

I'm a native Israeli. I would like to point some things out. The ancients did spell out the name of God in the scriptures. When it came to other writings they prefered not to, and would use titles (lord for exmple), initials, acronyms or substitute some letters. This was done out of respect, so as not to profane the name. The hyphen is only used in latin and cyrillic scripts.

Where in Israel are you?