? on the 12 apostles

pete22

i was having a discussion with a friend and he said one of the 12 apostles of the LDS church had been divorced, i told him from what i know about the LDS church i did not think that was true but not being a member of the LDS i would try to find out if that was true, can anyone confirm or deny this ?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was having a discussion with a friend and he said one of the 12 apostles of the LDS church had been divorced, i told him from what i know about the LDS church i did not think that was true but not being a member of the LDS i would try to find out if that was true, can anyone confirm or deny this ?

not true....

We should clarify to say CURRENTLY divorced or unmarried priesthood holders cannot be Bishop or a General Authority.

Married or widowed are okay. (You didn't see President Hinckley rushing off to get married after the death of his wife Marjorie, right?)

No, Divorce currently disqualifies a man from becoming a Bishop, Stake President, Seventy, Apostle or Prophet.

A man may remarry after the death of his wife and not be disqualified from these callings.

Is there somewhere i can look this up? What handbook are you referring to? Because i personally know a man who divorced after a temple marriage, remarried (eventually in the temple), and later became a bishop.

Anyway, to answer the OP: I don't believe any of the quorum of the 12 have gone through a divorce, but the only way i can think that you could confirm it would be to go to the official website of the church, lds.org, and do a search for their biographies, one by one. I know they're on there, cause i've done it before.

Edited by Connie
fix a spelling error

Is there somewhere i can look this up? What handbook are you referring to? Because i personally know a man who divorced after a temple marriage, remarried (eventually in the temple), and later became a bishop.

I asked my husband. . .I apologize. I should have clarified exactly what my husband meant prior to posting. To his knowledgge this policy came from the Area Seventy.

I would imagine if a divorced man was called as Bishop that it would have had to be approvied by the First Presidency.

As for the OP. None of the 12 or the First Presidency have been divorced.

applepansy

Edited by applepansy
typo

Ok, just confirmed. He was not the actual bishop but was in the bishopric.

In all my life I've never known of a Bishop who had been divorced. I did know one who was released when he and his wife were separated. I've also known several Bishopric Counselors who have been divorced.

I can't imagine a Seventy giving instruction that was inconsistent with Church policy.

applepansy

ok now i am confused can you be one of the twelve apostles if you have been divorced does it matter if you remarried, has there been any of the twelve apostles that have been divorced or could you be one of the twelve apostles if you have been divorced i want to make sure i am not misrepresenting the LDS position

Let's try this: the First Presidency must approve of all people who are called as Bishop. In other words, you cannot be a bishop without the approval of the First Presidency.

Any righteous, willing, and worthy man may be bishop regardless of his marital status. If the Lord chooses a divorced man to be bishop, that man will be bishop.

Church policy, however, does have a preference to married men as bishops. If two men are available to be bishop and they are equally qualified in every way except one man is married and the other is not, you can expect the married man to receive the call.

I know of no specific policy that forbids a divorced and remarried man from serving in any leadership capacity. (That doesn't mean the policy doesn't exist, but that I've never seen it)

Church policy, however, does have a preference to married men as bishops. If two men are available to be bishop and they are equally qualified in every way except one man is married and the other is not, you can expect the married man to receive the call.

Do they still classify unmarried men over the age of 25 as "menaces to society"? Would a menace make a good Bishop?

:o