? on the 12 apostles

pete22

Just to chime in with others, I was in an interview with my bishop and the question came up. I thought divorce did prevent you from being called a bishop too. I was also concerned about the same situation for a woman and any calling that may come to her. But I was reassured that a divorce does not disqualify a person from any service in the church including bishop-hood. I was told that one could become a general authority or a bishop or a RS pres.

I wonder if they don't call people to any office while in the middle or just after a divorce. I wonder if they try to let the dust settle and the Atonement work it's healing. I would think a person in this circumstance wouldn't necessarily be ready to serve in such a capacity. They would need time to get their own house in order. But that is different that disqualification.

Bishop-hood......LOL!!!!!!!!!!.....gotta love it

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't get why everyone keeps picking on Apple. If one reads page 4 of this thread, one would find where rameumptom already corrected her on this. And she thanked him for it. So to reiterate what Apple said above, read the entire thread before making judgments, chances are someone already corrected it in a kind and edifying manner.

I admit that I only read the first 2 pages of the thread - and in those pages "she" made 4 separate posts with 4 false claims, after which she apologized for something though she didn't specify what - however even after apologizing she created another false impression in the same post by claiming that divorcees could not become bishop without consent of the General Authorities thus implying that non-divorcees do not require GA consent - which is untrue.

Just to chime in with others, I was in an interview with my bishop and the question came up. I thought divorce did prevent you from being called a bishop too. I was also concerned about the same situation for a woman and any calling that may come to her. But I was reassured that a divorce does not disqualify a person from any service in the church including bishop-hood. I was told that one could become a general authority or a bishop or a RS pres.

I wonder if they don't call people to any office while in the middle or just after a divorce. I wonder if they try to let the dust settle and the Atonement work it's healing. I would think a person in this circumstance wouldn't necessarily be ready to serve in such a capacity. They would need time to get their own house in order. But that is different that disqualification.

There actually IS one position you can never have if you've been divorced: paid staff Institute instructor. It was my dream job, until my first wife decided she needed her freedom more than me. Not my fault, but I was still punished for it. So, I had to make changes to my career plan while I was young.

So if ive got this right. I as an excommunicated divorcee, cant become a Bishop, GA or Prophet? Well thats a load off my mind. I was really worried that i might get one of those callings. :P

I can see why a divorcee or excommunicated member who is fully repentant might not be able to hold those positions. But if i remember correctly, even in scripture, there is sometimes an exception to the rule. Jesus and his Apostles picking corn on the Sabbath being a good example.

I really dont know the rules on this particular subject, so i guess i just have to trust my Bishop, Stake Pres. or someone higher up to know the answer. I know that they will give me calling's that are for my growth and the growth of those i may be blessed to interact with.

So if ive got this right. I as an excommunicated divorcee, cant become a Bishop, GA or Prophet? Well thats a load off my mind. I was really worried that i might get one of those callings. :P

I can see why a divorcee or excommunicated member who is fully repentant might not be able to hold those positions. But if i remember correctly, even in scripture, there is sometimes an exception to the rule. Jesus and his Apostles picking corn on the Sabbath being a good example.

I really dont know the rules on this particular subject, so i guess i just have to trust my Bishop, Stake Pres. or someone higher up to know the answer. I know that they will give me calling's that are for my growth and the growth of those i may be blessed to interact with.

I think that many such policies and bylaws of the Church are in place for the purpose of protecting the LDS Church from disasters. One example would be Ed Decker, the author of much of the most ridiculous anti-Mormon drivel to be found. He was excommunicated for committing adultery among other things. Years later, I understand that he was rebaptized, but ended up getting excommunicated once again. He was never a bishop, but claims he was. So I suppose that the Church has the policy in place to prevent people like him from gaining credibility in their attacks against us by virtue of their holding higher callings in the Church prior to leaving.

Ed Decker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ed Decker - Career anti-Mormon critic

At least, that is my best guess for the reasoning behind the policy. The experiences of Oliver Cowdery Oliver Cowdery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Martin Harris http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Harris_(Latter_Day_Saints) are of interest. Both were very high in the councils of the Church. Both were excommunicated and broke away from the Church. Both were rebaptized. Neither one ever held any significant office after being rebaptized.

I think that if the Lord needs to make an exception to the rule, he will.

Edited by Faded

I think that many such policies and bylaws of the Church are in place for the purpose of protecting the LDS Church from disasters. One example would be Ed Decker, the author of much of the most ridiculous anti-Mormon drivel to be found. He was excommunicated for committing adultery among other things. Years later, I understand that he was rebaptized, but ended up getting excommunicated once again. He was never a bishop, but claims he was. So I suppose that the Church has the policy in place to prevent people like him from gaining credibility in their attacks against us by virtue of their holding higher callings in the Church prior to leaving.

Ed Decker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ed Decker - Career anti-Mormon critic

At least, that is my best guess for the reasoning behind the policy. The experiences of Oliver Cowdery Oliver Cowdery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Martin Harris http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Harris_(Latter_Day_Saints) are of interest. Both were very high in the councils of the Church. Both were excommunicated and broke away from the Church. Both were rebaptized. Neither one ever held any significant office after being rebaptized.

I think that if the Lord needs to make an exception to the rule, he will.

Ive read Ed Deckers 'Testamony' and found his referance to the deck being stacked against him, enough to tell me all i needed to know about him. I myself used this excuse before swallowing my pride and turning to my Heavenly Father. We are told to come unto him with a broken heart and a contrite spirit. Not the easiest thing to do. Dispite knowing my faults and accepting responsability for them, it may be a long time before i reach that point, where i can go to him in that state.

I guess what im saying in a round about way is that i agree with you.

Thank you for posting the links to Oliver Cowdery and Martin Harris. Interesting reading.

Nope - a poster has been spreading false information. You are NOT in the clear.

Brigham Young was a prophet AND divorced.

Orson Pratt was an apostle AND had been excommunicated. You would have become prophet instead of John Taylor except he lost his seniority while ex'd.

You are not in the clear yet so keep your head down.