I Guess Its Different Now

Palerider

Guest TheLutheran

President Obama had the opportunity to begin his administration with respect -- both respect for the historic nature of his election AND respect for his country currently at war with an economy in shambles. Demonstrating that respect COULD HAVE BEEN accomplished without such extravagant expenditures. Had he demonstrated humility and fiscal responsibility at the helm of this national celebration, I would have been impressed. He failed. :combust:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

President Obama had the opportunity to begin his administration with respect -- both respect for the historic nature of his election AND respect for his country currently at war with an economy in shambles. Demonstrating that respect COULD HAVE BEEN accomplished without such extravagant expenditures. Had he demonstrated humility and fiscal responsibility at the helm of this national celebration, I would have been impressed. He failed. :combust:

I would be impress if the current polls want President Obama to enact the old Regan era again. ^_^

In the spirit of unity this was the closing of the inaugural benediction:

Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around -- (laughter) -- when yellow will be mellow -- (laughter) -- when the red man can get ahead, man -- (laughter) -- and when white will embrace what is right.

Wha???????????????????

Yeah, all that talk of Obama and racial healing was a crock.

What are you, a bunch of sour grapes Republicans? The President hasn't even been in office more than a day, and you are all moaning about how bad it's going to be! Let's give him a chance! I did my homework, I don't think I'm unintelligent, and I honestly liked what he had to say during the campaign. That's why I campaigned for him, in my own humble way, and why I voted for him.

In the spirit of unity this was the closing of the inaugural benediction:

Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around -- (laughter) -- when yellow will be mellow -- (laughter) -- when the red man can get ahead, man -- (laughter) -- and when white will embrace what is right.

Wha???????????????????

That wasn't Obama. That was the person who gave the benediction. When prayer becomes a chance to highlight your rhyming skills, you should perhaps not be praying, because you are very clearly praying with man in mind instead of God.

I agree. This left a bad taste in my mouth, but it wasn't Obama who said this.

Hi Hemi,

Obama did not spend $650 million at his inauguration. I can‘t even imagine where you got such a number.

Although it is too early to tell for sure, it looks like 2,000,000 people attended Obama’s inauguration, and that the cost for this was between $155 and $160 million.

However! Obama raised $45 million for his inauguration, and that is all he is allowed to spend on his inauguration. (He raised this money by donations that averaged $200.)

The remaining $115 million, which covers security, the swearing-in, and other services, can only be paid for by the federal government. Obama cannot, by law, use any of his money from donations to offset the $115 million.

Contrast this with Bush's 2005 inauguration: The total cost was $157 million, of which he raised $42 million for his inauguration. (Most of his donations came from corporate executives, for example, 12 energy executives donated $2.3 million).

So yes, Obama's inauguration is the most expensive in history - - by a whole $3 million.

Bottom Line:

Obama's inauguration cost $160 million, and accommodated two million people; of that amount he could only control the $47 million he raised.

Bush's inaguration cost $157 million, and accommodated 500,000 people; of that, he could only control the $42 million he raised.

If you're going to have an inauguration to accommodate two million people, I'd say that $3 million was money well spent.

If you want to eliminate the huge sum spent on inaugurations, then the whole ceremony will have to be revised, and because the security itself will always be over $100 million, it would have to be no public allowed.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

What are you, a bunch of sour grapes Republicans? The President hasn't even been in office more than a day, and you are all moaning about how bad it's going to be! Let's give him a chance! I did my homework, I don't think I'm unintelligent, and I honestly liked what he had to say during the campaign. That's why I campaigned for him, in my own humble way, and why I voted for him.

yea...I am sour grapes....here is why......I know this isn't going to happen....all I heard over the past few years was about all the wrong the other guy did.....the new guy comes out and spends money for the big day and the media doesn't say a word.....they won't say anything because this is their "Darling" in there....

I don't think his economic plan can fix whats wiling the economy

Like I keep saying...I will be praying for him...we all need to right now.

So, you agree with his pro-abortion babykilling policies?

You like the fact that he plans to NOT extend the Bush tax cuts?

I guess your idea of one who is qualified to lead the country is one who has 136 actual days experience in the U.S. Senate wherein he basically did nothing but vote "present"?

To each his/her own I guess.....

That wasn't Obama. That was the person who gave the benediction. When prayer becomes a chance to highlight your rhyming skills, you should perhaps not be praying, because you are very clearly praying with man in mind instead of God.

I agree. This left a bad taste in my mouth, but it wasn't Obama who said this.

I certainly didn't say Obama said that. Please.

So, you agree with his pro-abortion babykilling policies?

You like the fact that he plans to NOT extend the Bush tax cuts?

I guess your idea of one who is qualified to lead the country is one who has 136 actual days experience in the U.S. Senate wherein he basically did nothing but vote "present"?

To each his/her own I guess.....

I am definitely not pro-abortion. There is a big difference between pro-abortion and pro-choice. Even the Church leadership say it should be left up to the woman, her husband/boyfriend, and the bishop. It is definitely not to be taken lightly.

As for the tax cuts, there is already talk about another stimulus package.