Chinese New Years

nzorient

Happy New Year to you, nz!

My daughter's class is making Lion and Dragon heads for their celebration at the end of January. There is much speculation on who gets to be the heads of the creatures, and who dances along behind! They have learned to count in Chinese, and they're learning some simple phrases as well. She just did a report on the Ancient Dynasties...she loves studying China!

Wow, mightynancy, that's really cool.

I think it's really great that we can not only accept and tolerate other cultures, but be taught about them and how to take part in celebrating together.

Personally, I really don't care about Chinese new year much myself (I'm Chinese, born Canadian), but I appreciate that people who aren't Chinese by heritage can really get into it.

I have always wanted to learn a non-western language, but the Asian languages weren't on my list! My daughter is another story, though - it's fun to hear her try out her Chinese. My daughter's birthday is on the western New Year's eve, but we threw a Chinese New Year party for her a few years back. The Chinese New Year traditions are much friendlier to children than the Western: red envelope, or drunken debauchery? I'll take the red envelope! LOL

My daughter has a classmate whose parents are immigrants from China, and the classmate's mother is the one teaching the language class. Two days ago, they had a Chinese lunch, made by the same woman. :)