Nursing in the chapel

jolee65

There were bottles, though. Probably glass early on, however, if you tour the Whitney home in Kirtland, you'll see a lead baby bottle that would have been used at the time that Joseph and Emma were living with the Whitneys.

Oh, ok, well maybe the popularity of giving a baby a bottle grew more so in the 50's. I remember reading that somewhere, not sure..

And a Lead Bottle!

That is very scary considering what we know now of lead poisoning. :eek:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And unless you were getting naked in sacrament I think they ought to chill.

This is my point exactly when I said it was a What Would Jesus Do Moment.

I think he'd probably understand that children need to be fed, regardless of the location.

And yes, a receiving blanket does work very well. Although, unless it is cold, the babies naturally get very hot when they are covered in such a way...

There were bottles, though. Probably glass early on, however, if you tour the Whitney home in Kirtland, you'll see a lead baby bottle that would have been used at the time that Joseph and Emma were living with the Whitneys.

true but the lead poisoning wasn't exactly good for the baby. Also not all babies will take a bottle my son wouldn't touch one

-Charley

true but the lead poisoning wasn't exactly good for the baby. Also not all babies will take a bottle my son wouldn't touch one

-Charley

My daughter wouldn't either. I was unclear...I wasn't saying that babies should be bottle fed ONLY while in public. I was just commenting that bottles have been around for a lot longer than since the 1950s.

My daughter wouldn't either. I was unclear...I wasn't saying that babies should be bottle fed ONLY while in public. I was just commenting that bottles have been around for a lot longer than since the 1950s.

i agree seem to remember they were made out of leather from the 1600s first and then there were kind of like feeding bowls - only available to the wealthy though

-Charley

I wasnt sure why she would feel the need to nurse in the chapel sitting right next to the missionaries, when her 2 yrs old was only fussing alittle. it wasnt during sacrument, she wasnt alone with three little ones. Im a mom, not youngsters but i nursed my oldest when she was born , I can understand when you need to tend to a child but her husband was there she wouldnt have missed the service in the mothers room.

My youngest was with us we sat right behind them, the one missionary did a double take ,lol. my daughter just looked at me like why is she do that in here, I did tell her the only time that is exceptable is if you were in a situation and couldnt get some where private.

Do you agree?

If she had got up to leave her other little ones would probably want to go out too and what was suppose to be a discreet retreat to the mother's lounge would become a huge production of crying kids, fussy baby, scattered toys and books, and annoyed congregation. I've seen it happen, it's not pretty.

For about 3 months after I had my baby I had an almost total disconnect from my breasts as sexual objects. They had a whole new purpose and I didn't even think twice most of the time to throw a blanket over my shoulder and feed the ravening infant.

I'm guessing the mom in question didn't set out to offend anyone and was probably sleep deprived. I recommend sitting in the pews in front of this family for the duration, and if the slurping sounds continue give her the number of a lactation coach because that baby is probably getting way too much air in it's poor little tummy.

• 2 months later...

Just for the record our branch does not have a mother's room. The only locking rooms we have are the library (Which is too small and too widely needed to nurse in), and the bishop's office. Where else are our mothers supposed to go? Should they sit in the relief society room where people are free to walk into without even a knock? I don't think it's a big deal to nurse in the chapel. If anyone's uncomfortable with a mother keeping her baby alive, they are free to sit far away from the mommies with babies.

"...as other women come in to change their toddlers' poopie pants that easily stink up the whole room because it's so small. I wish there were a separate poo room. I usually end up in there for at least half an hour because of how long my daughter nurses and on average, about three people will come in to add to the waste pail full of poopy diapers..."

There IS a separate Poo room: the rest rooms. If your facility is not badly designed, the counter by the sink is supposed to be wide enough to change babies. Men's room too. Older facilities often have a fold-down table for this job, with a belt to hold the kid. Taking babies to the nursing room to change a nasty diaper is inappropriate, and poses a health risk.

The bathrooms are designed to handle infectious waste.

Also, the bishop, and PFR should be on top of having the cans emptied immediately after meetings: the families with babies should be taking care of this, and the task should be rotated. Each diaper should be rolled, taped, and put in an individual bag, brought from home for the purpose.

"...as other women come in to change their toddlers' poopie pants that easily stink up the whole room because it's so small. I wish there were a separate poo room. I usually end up in there for at least half an hour because of how long my daughter nurses and on average, about three people will come in to add to the waste pail full of poopy diapers..."

every chapel is different we have to take our diapers home with us and we have a changing station but no quiet room.

-Charley

There IS a separate Poo room: the rest rooms. If your facility is not badly designed, the counter by the sink is supposed to be wide enough to change babies. Men's room too. Older facilities often have a fold-down table for this job, with a belt to hold the kid. Taking babies to the nursing room to change a nasty diaper is inappropriate, and poses a health risk.

The bathrooms are designed to handle infectious waste.

Also, the bishop, and PFR should be on top of having the cans emptied immediately after meetings: the families with babies should be taking care of this, and the task should be rotated. Each diaper should be rolled, taped, and put in an individual bag, brought from home for the purpose.

At our building, there is no counter space available in the restroom or in the men's restroom. It is really frustrating. The only space that works for changing a diaper is in the mothers' lounge. If they ever plan to do a remodel and I hear anything about it, I will definitely put in my 2 cents for a changing area separate from the feeding area, plus a larger area to feed. It's ridiculous.

I haven't managed to read through all posts yet, but someone did say that its one of those "what would Jesus do topics" I see it as a " what if jesus was present topic" I currently have a 6 week old baby that feeds every 2 hours, sometimes less (usually on a Sunday when I feel uncomfortable feeding) but I ask myself, if Jesus was sat in the room with me, do I think he would be offended by me nursing my baby? and I don't think he would be, because it is very natural and the best for my baby, and if he needs feeding he has to be fed. Making my baby wait till I find a suitable room could take a while and is a little bit cruel to my baby.

My ward doesn't have a mothers lounge, just a very small seat in the changing area in the toilets! not the kind of place I want to eat my lunch so I don't want my baby to have to eat there either. I try to find a free room if there is one, if not I have no choice but to feed him during my lessons. I have not fed him during sacrament yet because for me the chapel is the one place I don't feel comfortable feeding, mainly because of how everyone else might feel around me, so I take myself out but miss most of the talks.

When I am breast feeding my son around other people I always ask them if it is ok first because babies can be unpredictable and pull blankets off when latching on. I always try to be modest when feeding, but when things slip it's embarrasing enough for me, without feeling bad that I may have offended someone unintentionally.

Sometimes I think mothers rooms are there not just for privacy (as some mothers don't want to feed in public) but to make everyone else feel better ( the people that try to push you into a little room because they don't believe it's right to feed in public.) just my opinion.

Sorry to make it a long reply.

FOR ANYBODY NURSING THEIR BABY... HURRAAAAYYYY FOR YOU!!! I have nothing but respect and admiration and hero-worship for you.

When I had my first baby, I would cry through breastfeeding - it hurt like the dickens at first (I didn't know what I was doing) and the baby was always hungry. I completely lost my sense of identity - I was nothing but a feeding machine. And everywhere we go, I can't just find an easy place to be private (try looking for a mother's lounge at Walmart or the McDonalds). I was on the verge of quitting the whole thing TONS of times. I've had mastitis, bleeding breasts, and almost got arrested in Hong Kong (it is illegal there to nurse in public). The only thing that kept me going was the ridiculous cost of formula and the steady encouragement of my husband. It wasn't until I was in my 3rd month of nursing that I finally "got the hang of it" and the trigger was my big brother (who I will always be very grateful for). We were on a 5 hour trip to the family Thanksgiving dinner. My brother and I carpooled. We stopped at the McDonald's and the baby was hungry. I put on my nursing "hide" and started to feed but the baby was crying because he was sweating - he was wearing thick clothes for winter. I tried my best to maneuver, already dreading the pain, already dreading the stares, and the baby wouldn't cooperate. I broke down and started crying. My husband tried his best to help me out but was at a loss on what to do. Until my brother finally got mad and said, what is your problem? Take that darned blanket off and feed your baby! I took the "hide" off, made myself comfortable and started feeding. Now, mind you, I have a nursing bra and nursing shirt on so there is no chance you can see breast, but you can see the baby's head and there is no question on what he is doing. The baby nursed happily, my husband finally settled into the feeding routine, I was at peace, and my brother went on to talk about something else like nothing major just happened. From that day on, I never had any problems feeding the baby anymore - I fed anywhere, anytime, as necessary (which is why I almost got arrested in Hong Kong). I nursed until the baby weaned himself off - about 18 months or so. And I nursed my 2nd born for about 20 months. The whole entire time, my wardrobe consists of nursing shirts, nursing bra, and nursing garments, sometimes I use the "hide", sometimes I don't. My 2nd born is now 5. I still have the nursing shirts hanging in my closet. I kept it to look at for when sometimes I feel like a failure - I would go look at those shirts and it immediately picks me up, just knowing that I accomplished THAT!

Now, for you people out there giving RESPONSIBLE nursing mothers more roadblocks for nursing babies. Boo to you. It is hard enough to keep with the program without you making it harder.

Edited by anatess

• 1 year later...

I think breastfeeding is wonderful. All people should witness for what it is. Not showing off or anything like that but feeding and/or comforting a child.

I have always fed my children when they needed and support other women to do so as its their child's right.

I don't attend church often now but I refuse to go in the smelly Mothers room to feed (disposable nappies/diapers in a closed space. :( ). Where are fathers meant to change nappies btw? This actually annoys me that we can go almost anywhere and find a Parents or Family room but our ward just recently built a mothers room?!

Where are fathers meant to change nappies btw?

My chapel has a changing table in the men's room, I believe.

This actually annoys me that we can go almost anywhere and find a Parents or Family room but our ward just recently built a mothers room?!

It's a modesty issue. I know that's been hashed and rehashed in this thread, that men should just deal with it and get over it, but there are a lot of shy women out there, too.

It's a modesty issue. I know that's been hashed and rehashed in this thread, that men should just deal with it and get over it, but there are a lot of shy women out there, too.

This is understandable. I think while there are a lot of women that feel comfortable breastfeeding in public, I think there are also a lot of women that are not comfortable with it and prefer privacy. And to me, privacy does not equate to "hiding" or feeling "ashamed". Plain and simple, there are women that would rather be in a quite alone place to breastfeed without a potential audience. The "mother's lounge" seems like a great alternative to these women, as opposed to leaving the building and running out to their car or something of that ridiculous nature. I think whatever is comfortable for mum and baby—that's what is important. On a side note, I think changing tables should be in BOTH restrooms (men's and women's) but that mother lounges should be reserved for MOTHERS. If a mother needed to adjust or change clothing for whatever reason, she would not want a male to walk-in on her.

This is understandable. I think while there are a lot of women that feel comfortable breastfeeding in public, I think there are also a lot of women that are not comfortable with it and prefer privacy. And to me, privacy does not equate to "hiding" or feeling "ashamed". Plain and simple, there are women that would rather be in a quite alone place to breastfeed without a potential audience.

I think there are both sides. There are some women who consider it a modesty issue, and they don't want men other than their husbands seeing their breasts, so they are hiding. For others, it may just be that breastfeeding is a very intimate experience for them, and they'd rather be in private to savor it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow! Has this ever sparked a lot of conversation. I think breastfeeding is important to most mothers, even those who choose not to, because they still need to make an informed descision. I am currently breastfeeding my 3rd (11 months).

My personal opinion is that mothers should be able to feed their baby whenever, and wherever baby needs. I have never fed him in the chapel mostly because I'm concerned of what others will think. I have considered feeding small babies in RS because I doubt the other women will mind, most of them are mothers too.

I think that maybe in Canada we're even more discreet. I've rarely seen anyone in the mother's lounge not cover up with a blanket. In fact, I once had a mom apologize for not bringing one with her. I never actually saw anything, but could have cared less if I had. I bring the blanket for the comfort of others there, I don't bother to at home. Although I am sure there are people out there who would tell me I shouldn't feed him infront of my 7yr old son.

I also wanted to comment on the issues with mother's lounges. I hate it when the room smells of stinky diapers, but I also hate the fact that it's in the bathroom to begin with, the smell travels. We attend church in a stake centre, but the room is still smaller than the smallest classrooms. And it really needs an exhaust fan!

Basically I think all moms should do what they feel comfortable with.

Wow! Has this ever sparked a lot of conversation. I think breastfeeding is important to most mothers, even those who choose not to, because they still need to make an informed descision. I am currently breastfeeding my 3rd (11 months).

My personal opinion is that mothers should be able to feed their baby whenever, and wherever baby needs. I have never fed him in the chapel mostly because I'm concerned of what others will think. I have considered feeding small babies in RS because I doubt the other women will mind, most of them are mothers too.

I think that maybe in Canada we're even more discreet. I've rarely seen anyone in the mother's lounge not cover up with a blanket. In fact, I once had a mom apologize for not bringing one with her. I never actually saw anything, but could have cared less if I had. I bring the blanket for the comfort of others there, I don't bother to at home. Although I am sure there are people out there who would tell me I shouldn't feed him infront of my 7yr old son.

I also wanted to comment on the issues with mother's lounges. I hate it when the room smells of stinky diapers, but I also hate the fact that it's in the bathroom to begin with, the smell travels. We attend church in a stake centre, but the room is still smaller than the smallest classrooms. And it really needs an exhaust fan!

Basically I think all moms should do what they feel comfortable with.

We've taken the garbage can out of the mothers lounge. There are plastic bags to put the diapers in, and on our way out we put them in the garbage in the bathroom across the hall. It was a very good decision, I'm surprised it took so long for us to figure this out.

I'm personally not comfortable nursing in a meeting most of the time, because my babies are always such loud eaters and I don't like drawing attention to myself. I believe anyone who is comfortable should feel welcome to do so, though, as long as they're covering what needs to be covered.

When Sister Vort was pregnant with our second child (the now-16-year-old), we went to our ward Halloween party dressed as Spock and Nurse Chapel, with our two-year-old baby boy dressed as Captain Kirk. It was the "lost episode", where Spock and Nurse Chapel get married and have a baby. Big hit.

Oh, wait, what was the subject of this thread again? Oops, never mind.