Benediction comment

bytor2112

Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back . . . when brown can stick around . . . when yellow will be mellow . . . when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. Let all those who do justice and love mercy say amen. Say amen. And amen.

Anyone hear the benediction? Nice .......until the end???:eek::eek:

I am sure that isn't original isn't it taken from something? I am thinking its a song

Also whats wrong with it? I think you may have to be American to find it offensive? and maybe that is a racist comment?

-Charley

There is really nothing wrong with it. As I said, I'm used to more formal prayers, so I thought it was a rather strange way to end a prayer. I am American, born in the USA, and I am not racist. In fact, I voted for President Obama.

I heard it....nothing will be said about it....the media has their Darling in office....you can bet if it was a Republican ....it would be the lead story in the New York Times....

You can bet if it was a Black Republican, the end would be nigh.

On a more serious note. The benediction left a bad taste in my mouth and, if reversed, would have left a bad taste in others mouths. But how about we see what he does with his time in office and wait until something happens that you can complain about?

You can bet if it was a Black Republican, the end would be nigh.

On a more serious note. The benediction left a bad taste in my mouth and, if reversed, would have left a bad taste in others mouths. But how about we see what he does with his time in office and wait until something happens that you can complain about?

no no...I want to complain right now.....:D:D

Wow...you guys took a fun, lighthearted, playful moment of poetry and completely twisted it. This is a perfect example of going out of your way to find something to take offense to. Check it at the door, because no one with half a brain cares.

"and when white will embrace what is right"

I know many "white" men who have fought for civil rights, many who have acted like Christians. This was offensive to all those who have worked hard to end bigotry of all kinds. If the benediction was reversed there would have been heated outcry immediately.

applepansy

Edited by applepansy

a fun, lighthearted, playful moment of poetry

which is exactly what should be part of a prayer, right?

what if, such comments are made like they are cause it means they can get away with saying what they really think.... like playfully insulting and then calling it a joke.

ppl (in politics it's usually the whites) have been second guessing a lot of things they say for political correctness, can't offend anyone. doesn't matter what you meant, if everyone knows what you meant, or how common the phrase is as being a non racial phrase..... it might offend someone so better rethink your words. many have all they ever cared about, a black man in the highest position in this country. (not saying no one cared about policy but there are those, of many races, that did vote on skin color) that's politics. time to start being politicaly correct like the rest of us.

at the very least that comment (all of it not just the white part) was disrespectful in prayer and politically inappropriate.

I find it funny that people are blaming Obama for the prayer. He chose who he wanted to say the prayers, but I doubt if he knew exactly what they were going to say. This Reverend worked very closely with Martin Luther King, Jr. which is why he was chosen. Yes, his comment was iffy, and very irreverent, IMO, for a prayer, but I lay the blame on HIM for not chosing his words more wisely.

it's politics you are responsible for those you choose to speak for you. the ppl he chooses to speak for him need to understand that they do represent him and consider the impact of their words. he should have chosen more wisely or briefed them better for the event.

if anyone should understand this concept it's him, after all he went through with the campaign and the ppl associated with him.

it's politics you are responsible for those you choose to speak for you. the ppl he chooses to speak for him need to understand that they do represent him and consider the impact of their words. he should have chosen more wisely or briefed them better for the event.

if anyone should understand this concept it's him, after all he went through with the campaign and the ppl associated with him.

Oh absolutely, but unless Obama wrote the prayers himself, he couldn't keep the people he chose from possibly saying something stupid.

Also whats wrong with it? I think you may have to be American to find it offensive? and maybe that is a racist comment?

I'm with you...what's wrong with it? Maybe you do have to be American to find it offensive, but not all Americans do. I'm with MOE who commented that it was a playful moment of poetry.

But how about we see what he does with his time in office and wait until something happens that you can complain about?

Amen!

I suppose I could get offended by that portion of the prayer. After all, it is offensive. Black, brown, yellow, red - we pray they'll get a break. White - we pray that someday they will stop embracing wrong. Yeah, it's a poem with a bunch of noble history behind it, but it's still an offensive and racist poem with a bunch of noble history behind it.

Or maybe I should get offended at people who can't or won't see the blatant offensiveness of that portion of the prayer. After all, great evils have been perpetrated on groups of humans by other groups, and all the help they needed was for people to refuse to see what was right in front of them.

But at the end of the day, I think I'm with Funky and Wingnut. It's a waste of time to get offended by this prayer. For one thing, getting offended violates 1 Corinthians 13. For another thing, I'm so jazzed about America officially turning a chapter by electing it's first minority president, I refuse to let such a small footnote decrease my jazzitude.

I'll hold off on my criticism until I have something to criticize.

LM

(Gitmo, anyone?)

I find it funny that people are blaming Obama for the prayer. He chose who he wanted to say the prayers, but I doubt if he knew exactly what they were going to say. This Reverend worked very closely with Martin Luther King, Jr. which is why he was chosen. Yes, his comment was iffy, and very irreverent, IMO, for a prayer, but I lay the blame on HIM for not chosing his words more wisely.

I'm not blaming Obama for the prayer.....maybe his choice for the prayer. The prayer was generally nice, but the end was.....:eek::eek:

Wow...you guys took a fun, lighthearted, playful moment of poetry and completely twisted it. This is a perfect example of going out of your way to find something to take offense to. Check it at the door, because no one with half a brain cares.

Oh, it was poetry. :rolleyes: Now, I get it. I always thought benediction was a prayer, silly me and my half brain. :D Personally, I didn't take offense, but I do think it was inappropriate and had it been McCain's inauguration and some "light hearted poetic stereotyping" of black people, people would be howling and decrying it as blatant racism.

I agree, it was a catchy poem stuck on the end, but it does bother me a little. First, if the roles were reversed, there would be widespread outcries about how those evil repub have shown themselves to be racists. Second, realizing that Obama didn't choose or approve the prayer, why can't he at least have sent out guidelines asking those who participated to say things which unite instead of divide? It was obviously a dig at whites, no matter how you slice it. If we as Americans are to be color-blind, then that extends to people who are of color as well as those who are white. His choice of people whom he has speak, technically on his behalf, need to be a little more tolerant of those of us who are not of their color. He needs to careful about letting the militants control his unofficial policies.

I truly do not understand why all people aren't more tolerant of others. And why we aren't all held to the same standard. Its ok for certain races to be offended by racism but its not ok for whites to be offended? There has been a double standard for a long time.

I had a similar conversation several years ago with a co-worker of a race/culture different than mine. She said white people could never understand how it felt to be persecuted. After I explained some of Mormon history and the persecution my ancestors endured. She apologized and we were able to discuss bigotry from a shared perspective.

All groups of people are the brunt of bigotry by somebody. It needs to stop. I'm not offended by the benediction. I'm disappointed.

applepansy

We don't know that Pres. Obama didn't ask those participating to obey rules of decorum and preach/talk of unity. Perhaps he did and this particular person chose to ignore that request.

I, too, was disappointed with the little ditty at the end of the "prayer." And I actually gasped when I heard the "white" portion of the speech. I wondered how all the SS men (the white ones) felt as they listened to this and prepared to stop a bullet with their body if necessary to protect our new President.

As long as we think in terms of black, white, red, yellow, racism will not end. I was reminded of an incident a few years ago. I have a black friend at work and she and I are addicted to American Idol. One year, the 3 best singers were in the bottom positions while the 3 worst singers were voted in the top positions. It wasn't until I spoke with my friend who pointed out that the 3 bottom singers were black women. I never noticed color....I was looking at talent. I made that comment to her and she said that of course I wouldn't notice...I'm a white person. I then told her that color didn't matter...I was outraged that the best talent were voted down.

I fear that because Pres. Obama is black that racism will continue and actually strengthen. Because anything negative towards him may be construed as racism and will be jumped on by the media (and hate-mongers). Despite this, I pray that he will be an example of grace and tolerance as he strives to govern--and I hope that he will speak out in instances that warrant the President to speak of unity.