Not Taking The Sacrament...

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Dec 7 2004, 10:10 PM

Today we live in a world that children are not taught something’s because it just isn't worth the fight to get there. My children a very different then I was when I was growing up. I think that many children have an opinion that the world revolves just for them. Unless you have recognized the blessings of fasting for yourself, it can be a completely pointless thing to do. I remember hearing my kids say, "Why do you call this fast Sunday"? "It's the slowest Sunday of the month!"

I believe that once children know why we fast they need to be taught by example. When Nick got hurt, our bishop called a special fast for the very next day on July 11. We had just had fast Sunday the week before but this time it was different, it was for another child. They fasted until after they met at 4:00 for a special meeting on Nick's progress in the chapel. Only those who participated in the fast came to the meeting and from what I have heard the chapel was completely full. They fasted in families and it was families who came to this short meeting before they broke their fast. I believe that this had a real impart on Nicks recovery as well as those who participated in the fast. Many testimonies have been strengthened because of that fast.

SF~

You know how I feel about so many things.....and while reading this post, I got that feeling all over again.....

Great things in store for Nick :)

When I told Nick that he was here for a reason, he told me that he knew it and that he was grateful for it. Now to witness the reasoning behind the miracle........ :)

And Shantress....You never know how God works, we can not second guess His reasoning. Why would one life be better than another? ....I don't think that it is it at all. You don't know what prayers were being said for the little orphan girl, or who was saying them. It could have been ONE heartfelt, faithful, “earnest prayer” that saved her. No one can understand the reasoning behind who is allowed to be a "miracle" and who isn't. I could write a book on how I feel about this.

Prayers and fasting for a miracle that doesn't happen, been there, seen that (not happen) ....very hard to comprehend for those left behind. But there may be a miracle in the live of one who is left behind because of the prayers and faith of others. It's hard to see the larger picture sometimes when we only see one small piece in front of us.

Trav~ Thanks for that post....found the perfect words to help my thoughts.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Dec 6 2004, 08:52 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Dec 6 2004, 08:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Dec 6 2004, 07:56 AM

I have gotten into that downward spiral a few times, not being able to ask the Lord for forgiveness, refusing to take Communion, and sometimes, we just have to hit bottom before we can understand that God is not the one that has stepped away from us, but that we have stepped away from Him, and that where we are is not acceptable to ourselves anymore.  And then, all we have to do is recognize that God loves us, no matter what, and with just a prayer, we can heal that relationship.

I think that not partaking of the emblems is just a symptom of the problem, and not the cause of it.

I appreciate all that you said, thank you Jenda. :)

The part that you said about not feeling acceptable to ourselves is the problem with this young person. No matter what others have told this person about their worth in the eyes of Our Father, they can not believe it. How can you help someone who has gotten into this spot? This person prays all the time but only in behalf of other people.

I would tell your young person that Christ's love can even overcome their own self condemnation if they will just allow Christ in. Tell 'em that if they won't let Christ in, then they are the ones shutting the door.

Can we really think we can make ourselves worth? Isn't Christ the only one who can take away our sins? Do we think we can take away our own sins to make us worthy of his love and atonement? If we could, wouldn't it make the atonement unnecessary?

Originally posted by lindy9556@Dec 8 2004, 08:49 PM

No one can understand the reasoning behind who is allowed to be a "miracle" and who isn't. I could write a book on how I feel about this.

Well, I wish you would write that book. I would definitely read it! This whole subject has just never seemed rational in my mind - and as a Christian, that is difficult.

Originally posted by shanstress70+Dec 9 2004, 06:11 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shanstress70 @ Dec 9 2004, 06:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--lindy9556@Dec 8 2004, 08:49 PM

No one can understand the reasoning behind who is allowed to be a "miracle" and who isn't.  I could write a book on how I feel about this.

Well, I wish you would write that book. I would definitely read it! This whole subject has just never seemed rational in my mind - and as a Christian, that is difficult.

Shanstress,

You have said that you do believe in Miracles.

Now are you saying that it bothers you that everyone doesn't get one? My mom didn't get one when she was diagnosed with lung cancer in February 2003 and then she died less then a month later. I am still having a very difficult time without her in my life. :(

One thing that I have had to come to realize is that I am not as wise as my Father In Heaven and I do not see the big picture. All I can do is put my trust in the Lord and accept His wisdom with faith.

Originally posted by Amillia@Dec 8 2004, 11:44 PM

I would tell your young person that Christ's love can even overcome their own self condemnation if they will just allow Christ in. Tell 'em that if they won't let Christ in, then they are the ones shutting the door.

Nicely said. :)

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Dec 9 2004, 09:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ Dec 9 2004, 09:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -shanstress70@Dec 9 2004, 06:11 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--lindy9556@Dec 8 2004, 08:49 PM

No one can understand the reasoning behind who is allowed to be a "miracle" and who isn't.  I could write a book on how I feel about this.

Shanstress,

You have said that you do believe in Miracles.

Now are you saying that it bothers you that everyone doesn't get one? My mom didn't get one when she was diagnosed with lung cancer in February 2003 and then she died less then a month later. I am still having a very difficult time without her in my life. :(

One thing that I have had to come to realize is that I am not as wise as my Father In Heaven and I do not see the big picture. All I can do is put my trust in the Lord and accept His wisdom with faith.

I'm not saying that it bothers me that everyone doesn't get one. I'm saying that I believe more people get them than just the ones being prayed/fasted for.

I guess I wasn't very clear.

The last part of what you said, I'm working on that! :D

I am so sorry about your mom.

Shanstress said;

I'm not saying that it bothers me that everyone doesn't get one. I'm saying that I believe more people get them than just the ones being prayed/fasted for.

I believe there are a lot of peole who get miracles without fasting and praying for them themselves.

But my dad fasts and prays for all the world asking God to bless all according to their needs. Maybe it is his prayers and fasting which brings miracles to those who don't fast and pray for them. Maybe there are lots of good people who fast and pray for those they don't even know.

Originally posted by shanstress70+Dec 9 2004, 05:11 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shanstress70 @ Dec 9 2004, 05:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--lindy9556@Dec 8 2004, 08:49 PM

well, I could count on ONE person to purchase it! Thanks....you made me smile :D

And I do agree with you Shantress, to a point, I do believe that "more people get them ( miracles) than just the ones being prayed/fasted for." But we never know who's prayer has covered who. There are so many prayers said, and we don't know who they are for, only those in Heaven know that.

I knew a horrible person (s/brother's best friend) who was spared further injury (than he what he received) from a explosion, I thought he was granted a miracle. My stepbrother, the agnostic, told me that miracles don't exist- just freak luck.

I sat and contemplated about what and why, and wondered the reason behind it all. All I know is somehow, somewhere, someone needed something from this person (what it could be boggles the mind :blink: ) But of course there was probably several thousand prayers offered that day for all the athesists in the world to be blessed, I have heard that very unselfesh people think of praying for EVERYONE and not just the ones who we really think need it. Ouch, that one hurt ME.....it's been a while since I thought of including those that need the light of Christ and the knowledge of God in the dark empty hole in their chest. (lump forming in throat)

Which reminds me of the other miracle that day (one I had prayed for)....when my s/brother heard a small voice (from the empty room) telling him to get away from Mike......GET AWAY NOW!!! (he listened...and suffered little injury).......But that is another story :ph34r:

Originally posted by Amillia@Dec 9 2004, 10:28 AM

Shanstress said;

I believe there are a lot of peole who get miracles without fasting and praying for them themselves.

But my dad fasts and prays for all the world asking God to bless all according to their needs. Maybe it is his prayers and fasting which brings miracles to those who don't fast and pray for them. Maybe there are lots of good people who fast and pray for those they don't even know.

ohhh ohhhh goosebumps.....exactly the people I was thinking of..... Thanks Amillia!

• 8 years later...

Was our saviors death fruitless? I ask you? No it was not. On the cross that day he gave his life for you and the bread is his body and the water is his blood whom he has shed for you the sacrament is a remembrance of him to his deciples (our church, our leaders) and the many whom also took of it when he was going to the cross and ( for You and I) that we may never let go of the hand which our savior, God has extened to all his hand, like the apostle whom Jesus Christ lifted from the water when the storm raged the apostle lacking in faith could not walk on the waters. Is this the real question? The waters Unworthiness? Unforgiveness ? The savior died and is alive now, today.The Sacrament is the strength our savior Jesus Christ gives to us to sustain us, bring us, draw us, closer to him in whatever challenges we are confronted with. Lest we not take of Jesus Christ sacrifice and whither and die as of a fading picture in the distance.