What is Virginity Worth Today?

pam

I think something said by president David O McKay applies:

"All the money in the world will not buy a good woman, just a bad one."

The Traveler

That saying is offensive. 90% of women who go into this type of profession were sexually abused as children.

"Bad women"? No.

"Hurting women" and "confused women"? Yes.

I'm sure he got a talking to when arriving in Paradise.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That saying is offensive. 90% of women who go into this type of profession were sexually abused as children.

"Bad women"? No.

Can you provide a source that 90% of prostitutes were sexually abused as children?

I may be not understanding the quote accurately, but it doesn't sound that McKay was talking about prostitutes - just implying women of a worldly nature.

Many of us here are coming at it from the perspective of having been baptised and been through the temple, and having made personal covenants of chastity. It would be a much bigger deal for us than for a non-member, and sometimes it's hard to switch around our perspective to accomodate for someone who truly doesn't understand the law of chastity as we do.

Most girls nowadays are explicitly taught that premarital sex is healthy, normal, nothing to be ashamed of and in fact preferable to waiting until marriage (if we ever do choose to marry). This isn't my extrapolation, this is literally what's being taught. I know, I'm from the same generation as this girl. I had the good fortune to grow up with the Gospel, so I knew it wasn't true--but most girls don't. A lot of feminist theory nowadays is even explicitly pro-prostitution. These aren't uncommon teachings--they are everywhere. These are scary times, and it's horrible but not surprising to see women falling for these lies.

God knows when people sin ignorantly, and I believe with all my heart that He regards His children with loving mercy when they truly don't understand what they're doing.

"Bad women"? No.

Rather interesting response - why have you assumed that President McKay was talking about a particular profession. I personally think you can extend his remarks to finding a good reliable and trusted friend by offering money.

The Traveler

Rather interesting response - why have you assumed that President McKay was talking about a particular profession. I personally think you can extend his remarks to finding a good reliable and trusted friend by offering money.

The Traveler

The person who posted it apparently felt it applied as they brought it up in a discussion about prostitution. So even if it wasn't Elder McKay's intent it was the intent of the person that brought it into the discussion. So maybe it's that person that should reevaluate their position towards these hurting women?

The person who posted it apparently felt it applied as they brought it up in a discussion about prostitution. So even if it wasn't Elder McKay's intent it was the intent of the person that brought it into the discussion. So maybe it's that person that should reevaluate their position towards these hurting women?

I don't buy that 90% are hurting women. I believe most prostitutes are women with no morals that find it easier to make big bucks turning a trick than pushing a pencil.

I don't buy that 90% are hurting women. I believe most prostitutes are women with no morals that find it easier to make big bucks turning a trick than pushing a pencil.

Study after study shows that up to 90% were sexually abused as children.

Moroni 7 : 17 And now, my brethren, seeing that ye know the light by which ye may judge, which light is the light of Christ, see that ye do not judge wrongfully; for with that same judgment which ye judge, ye shall also be judged.

I hope you can change your callous judgmental attitude before it is too late.

Edited by KristofferUmfrey

Matt. 12: 31

31 ¶ Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Alma 39: 6

6 For behold, if ye deny the Holy Ghost when it once has had place in you, and ye know that ye deny it, behold, this is a sin which is unpardonable; yea, and whosoever murdereth against the light and knowledge of God, it is not easy for him to obtain forgiveness; yea, I say unto you, my son, that it is not easy for him to obtain a forgiveness.

I've looked at the Matt. 12 verse and did some study on it-that's where I got my stance on it. I understand it and that's where I got my answer. The rest of it though is not laid out there so that's why I asked here he got his extrapolation. Thanks

I'll just chime in here.. i've been dating my girlfriend for 2 years.. and i'm glad we haven't slept together. It really is difficult.. it's a struggle for sure. But it's worth every bit of frustration.

I know her far better than I would otherwise. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

Way to go bmy!!!!!!!!!!!! You wont be sorry!!!

I hear what your saying......the prostitute can be as clean as anyone else in the Lord's eyes through repentance. But, will she ever feel clean? Will she ever feel innocent and virtuous? I hope so, but that's my point, can one ever truly forget transgressions and feel as though they never happened?

"Bad women"? No.

That is why we should teach our kids, that loosing virginity is NOT a sin IF it is done against that persons will! And especially abused kids, they are not responsible. Kids should be taught and they should feel so safe in Church that they dare to tell of abuse of any kind. It is sad that the judgemental attitude dont let the voice of those come up who say that they are not sinners, or quilty so they feel so bad and ashaimed, that they wont tell anyone.

Many of us here are coming at it from the perspective of having been baptised and been through the temple, and having made personal covenants of chastity. It would be a much bigger deal for us than for a non-member, and sometimes it's hard to switch around our perspective to accomodate for someone who truly doesn't understand the law of chastity as we do.

Most girls nowadays are explicitly taught that premarital sex is healthy, normal, nothing to be ashamed of and in fact preferable to waiting until marriage (if we ever do choose to marry). This isn't my extrapolation, this is literally what's being taught. I know, I'm from the same generation as this girl. I had the good fortune to grow up with the Gospel, so I knew it wasn't true--but most girls don't. A lot of feminist theory nowadays is even explicitly pro-prostitution. These aren't uncommon teachings--they are everywhere. These are scary times, and it's horrible but not surprising to see women falling for these lies.

God knows when people sin ignorantly, and I believe with all my heart that He regards His children with loving mercy when they truly don't understand what they're doing.

Yes that is VERY true! And my daughters decided to follow the techers, worlds advice. Their problem, I tought them the right. I cant live their life for them they have to do their own mistakes.

WHY is it expected virginity of a woman and mans virginity is almost never tought about?? Both are equally important... but men wont get caught.... not fair!

WHY is it expected virginity of a woman and mans virginity is almost never tought about?? Both are equally important... but men wont get caught.... not fair!

That stems from our history. For a long time (and still in some cultures) women were viewed as property. Everyone likes a new puppy, but no one cares how many puppies you owned before.

Disclaimer: I do not view women as property or puppies.

What is sad about this whole thing is that it is not new. When I read this article my first thought was, "wow she is taking after Geisha tradition." Geisha did the same thing with soon to be new Geisha, had the men of the area bid on the girl's virginity. As the Geisha society has died out slowly over time the practice has become less and less common. It is strange and more than a little disturbing to see a modern day rendition of it.

I'll just chime in here.. i've been dating my girlfriend for 2 years.. and i'm glad we haven't slept together. It really is difficult.. it's a struggle for sure. But it's worth every bit of frustration.

I know her far better than I would otherwise. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

Even swapping spit [kissing] can be dangerous. ^_^