Spirit of Love In Our Ward

lilered

Last Sunday nite I along with several other families received an invitation for a special meeting with our Bishop to take place on Tuesday nite at the church.

When we arrived, there were about 25 or so families present ( I am guessing, all current temple recommend holders). The Bishop started the meeting, issued a disclaimer that it was a bonafide church meeting, nor was the church sanctioning it, explained the purpose of the meeting, then turned it over to a brethren who holds a Doctorate in Phsycology.

The purpose was that one of our Sisters just had her 4 children (ages 16 down to 4) taken away by the State and placed in temporary Foster Care. The childrens Father is serving a prison term for crimes involving children so he will never be allowed to return to his home.

The Bishop indicated he would like to propose that those of us ward members consider taking the children into our home and raising them as foster children temporarily until either the mom gets her act together or the State removes them permanently. There was also a member from an adjoing town who offered great knowlege concerning the States Foster Care program. The Dr. reasoned that the children might have a better chance if they could remain in the ward and still see each other and their friends as opposed to being split up and sent all over the State. (On a personal note, both my wife and I teach 3 of the 4 children in Primary/Priesthood).

The State had already given their blessing to support the Bishops and the Dr. proposal prior to the meeting. They will interview the participating families and examine the homes prior to any of the children being placed.

It was absolutly inspiring to watch the meeting, listen as each family asked very thoughtful questions and then quickly volunteered to take either one, two, or all of the children into their families. It got to the point at the end, that each child had multiple families that desired each of them. I might note that two of the children have learning disabilities. To expierece the spirit in that meeting was a testimony builder especially when considering how tough the economy is at present.

It sure made me proud of our Bishop and those in the meeting as well as built my testimony of the Love our ward members show each other and watch it put into action.