H.S. 100-0 win (unsportsman like IMO)

Dr T

Here is my $.02 for what its worth.

I used to play Select Baseball along time ago. It used to be as Rachel described. Even if you were getting blown away you played your tail off...NO matter what. If you started tanking plays as we calledit. It meant Extra laps during practice. I have been on both sides of the blow out deal. Trust me. I didnt want to go to practice. But I was told by my Dad that I signed a contract ( yes. At 13 I had to sign a contract for 2 years to play in the leuage) and MY tookis better be at practice. We discussed what went wrong. How they got so far ahead ( i think it was like 30-4). After all this practiceing basics, hitting and training the next team we played was really laxed about us due to our loss. We wanted to redeem ourselves from the beating we took and took it out on that team. we beat them 20-5. When we met the team that slaughtered us a month later we were ready for them. They were laxed. And we were on our "A" game. we didnt blow them away but we did win the game by 4. I learned a valuable lesson while playing ball. Never give up no matter what the odds are.

Now everything is so different. When I played for this leauge you were asked to try out. If you didnt make it you oculd come back next year and try again. Now there is no tryouts. Due to the fact that these kids will be hurt emotionaly if they fail? In another leauge I played in they have done the same thing. In my opinion this hurts the kids even more. Where as we had to play our hearts out to make the team. These kids just get to play and when they get beat like we did they dont have the coaches who take the time and sit them down and talk to them about how they can improve. they get a talk with all this head filling stuff that means absoulutly nothing on the outsie world. That or the coaches just yell at the poor kids and call them losers (I have seen this first hand on both accounts with my nephew and he quit because his team kept getting beat)

And dont get me started on the "Little Leuage Parent Syndrome" lol

Ok I am getting off the soapbox now..like i said. my opinion

You should see the Hockey Moms Doc...whoa..i thought the Dad's in Baseball where bad

The worst parent i have ever seen was when I was Umping a game. This guy kept telling me to get glasses and all kinds of stuff. Well...when I turned around and told him to cease and disist well..he didnt like a 17 year old telling him what to do. the couch that HIS son was on fetched a police officer once myself and the Adult umpire ejected him to his car...geesh...and Hockey Moms...wow..visious lil creatures they are!

I think that if the kids want to play the Parents should not be reliving thier child hood through them. I guess I was really lucky. Dad supported me. was there for all the games he could be there for and actually cheered for me. My fondest sports memory...when I hit my first home run at a young age. The first person there to congradulate me..my dad...got a high five and a hug....sorry for the warm and fussies there y'all...but I think this is what is missing from the youth organazations of today. mho