Heaven & Hell

I was thinking this morning as I woke up (which is the best time for me) how confusing the PC (Protestant Christian) concept of Heaven and Hell and the Final Judgment are. Allow me to elaborate...

PC's believe that when a person dies they go straight to Heaven or Hell, but they believe in the Final Judgment also.

So what is they purpose of the Final Judgment if people are already where they are going to be?

What happens after the Final Judgment?

Alma 40

[9] Therefore, there is a time appointed unto men that they shall rise from the dead; and there is a space between the time of death and the resurrection. And now, concerning this space of time, what becometh of the souls of men is the thing which I have inquired diligently of the Lord to know; and this is the thing of which I do know.

[10] And when the time cometh when all shall rise, then shall they know that God knoweth all the times which are appointed unto man.

[11] Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection -- Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.

[12] And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

[13] And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of the wicked, yea, who are evil -- for behold, they have no part nor portion of the Spirit of the Lord; for behold, they chose evil works rather than good; therefore the spirit of the devil did enter into them, and take possession of their house -- and these shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.

[14] Now this is the state of the souls of the wicked, yea, in darkness, and a state of awful, fearful looking for the fiery indignation of the wrath of God upon them; thus they remain in this state, as well as the righteous in paradise, until the time of their resurrection.

We don't know all the details.

The Final Judgment happens in phases so to speak. First those that are righteous are Resurrected, live during the millennium and Judged at the final Judgment. These would be the ones that would end up in the Celestial Kingdom (I'll assume you know about the three kingdoms of glory).

Also those that end up in the Terrestial Kingdom also get resurrected and live during the millennium. They then get judged after those of the Celestial Kingdom.

(There isn't enough information if we can change and repent during the millennium, or more after we are resurrected do we still progress before the final judgment)

Then the telestial are resurrected, but for the most part end up "paying" suffering for there sins in "Outer Darkness" during the millennium. They then are brought forth and go the Telestial Kingdom.

Those that I guess we can call that go to "Hell" are those that are going to end up in Outer Darkness. They are resurrected and pretty much go to OD from the start and spend eternity there.

Thats what happens after the final judgment. Your question was probably more about Heaven and Hell and how its not that clear cut. Mostly there are stages of judgment that happen that lead up to the final judgment.

Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial Kingdoms - Mormonism, The Mormon Church, Beliefs, & Religion - MormonWiki

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking this morning as I woke up (which is the best time for me) how confusing the PC (Protestant Christian) concept of Heaven and Hell and the Final Judgment are. Allow me to elaborate...

PC's believe that when a person dies they go straight to Heaven or Hell, but they believe in the Final Judgment also.

So what is they purpose of the Final Judgment if people are already where they are going to be?

This is interesting. I would have to do some studying to find the verses, but in a nutshell. when an unredeemed person dies, his soul goes to directly to hell.

When a child of GOD dies, his soul now goes directly to Heaven.

There are two judgments. One is for the saved and one is for the unsaved.

At these judgments the souls are given a new body. The dead in CHRIST will be raised and united with a new body. Those living in CHRIST will be transformed. This judgment happens at the RAPTURE or catching away.

Those that die unrepentant, unsaved, lost etc., have their soul waiting in hell until after the thousand year reign of CHRIST (The Millenium Kingdom). They are then reunited with a new body, judged at the final judgment and cast into the lake of fire along with Satan.