Were Adam and Eve born?

thedorman

I'm a little new to LDS.net, but thought I would put this question out there. My question is: Were Adam and Eve born?

I was recently listening to a gospel talk by (I think) Vivian McConkie Adams, called Father Adam Mother Eve. In the talk Sister Adams states that Adam was born; she quotes Joseph F. Smith for support. Then she Quotes Brigham Young, something to the extent that if Adam were formed from a lump of clay he would be resurrected as a lump of clay.

I'm looking for the refferences she states. I think I might have found the quote from Joseph F. Smith. But I found it online, so I'm a little skeptical. The quotes are below.

If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I know that my Redeemer liveth; . . . I know that God is being with body, parts, and passions and that His Son is in His own likeness, and that man is created in the image of God. The Son, Jesus Christ, grew and developed into manhood the same as you or I, as likewise did God, His Father grow and develop to the Supreme Being that He now is. Man was born of woman; Christ the Savior, was born of woman and God, the Father was born of woman. Adam, our earthly parent, was also born of woman into this world, the same as Jesus and you and I."

Joseph F. Smith (Desert Evening News, Dec. 27, 1913, Sec III, p. 7; Deseret News: Church Section, Sept. 18, 1936, pp, 2, 8).

"Man has descended from God: In fact, he is of the same race as the Gods. His descent has not been from a lower form of life, but from the Highest Form of Life; in other words, man is the most literal sense, a child of God. This is not only true of the spirit of man, but of his body also. There never was a time, probably, in all the eternities of the past, when there was not men or children of God. This world is only one of many worlds which have been created by the Father through His Only Begotten."

Joseph F. Smith, Course of Study for Priests, 1910, under the subject "The Creation of Man," cited in Deseret News: Church Section, Sept. 19, 1936, p. 8

Edited by thedorman

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam was indeed born of immortal parents.

The trouble is there are so many questions this opens up, and so many things we have not been told, that you have to delve into speculation at some point.

In any case, logic and odds are on the side of Adam being born of a mother. Every person that has ever inhabited this earth has been born. It is the way we come to have a physical body, whether mortal or immortal.

Adam and Eve both have belly buttons, as does Father in Heaven.

the more fun question, or at least asking my seminary teachers it was fun.... is when god commanded adam and eve to multiply did he give them a birds and bees talk or just leave them to figure it out on their own?

God taught them about procreation. He used fruit, seeds, trees, and tilling the earth as symbols of procreation. There is a lot we can learn by how God taught Adam and Eve about procreation using fruit.

I don't think the navel classifies as a scar. I asked my wife, who is a nurse, and she said she didn't think it was classified as a scar (with no coaxing, I just asked). "It marks the point where the umbilical cord was attached," is what she said, which was the exact definition given in the medical dictionary I looked at. If it were a scar, I think it would heal over fairly quickly, and most likely disappear entirely.

Again, this is speculation, but I feel Heavenly Father has a belly button, as do all men and women who have ever been born. If you think about what you learn in the temple, and even think about the temple garments, it seems a navel is present even on resurrected beings.

I could be wrong, though.

Edited by Justice
Corrected Typos

Thanks. Is there anywhere I can find some prophetic statments or basis for the argument that Adam was born of Immortal Parents?

I will look to see what I can find. However, I did not arrive at this opinion by reading quotes by anyone. I arrived at this opinion by studying Genesis, and the other stories of the creation.

I did discuss this with a trusted friend and neighbor, who is the Elder's Quorum President in our Ward. He said he remebered that Brigham Young and other prophets taught that Adam was born of a mother. Maybe we can find something.

I don't know of any conclusive LDS revelation given on this question.

Based on some things I have discussed with others, I personally believe that Adam and Eve were born from Heavenly Father and Mother. Quite literally born, just like you and I are born.

the more fun question, or at least asking my seminary teachers it was fun.... is when god commanded adam and eve to multiply did he give them a birds and bees talk or just leave them to figure it out on their own?

I think they were instructed on the basics by Father. He commanded them to "multiply" - so it stands to reason that He explained it to them.

Moses 3:7 And I, the Lord God, formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul, the first flesh upon the earth, the first man also; nevertheless, all things were before created; but spiritually were they created and made according to my word.

Moses 3:21-23 And I, the Lord God, caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam; and he slept, and I took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh in the stead thereof;

And the rib which I, the Lord God, had taken from man, made I a woman, and brought her unto the man.

And Adam said: This I know now is bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of man.

I can't find anything to verify the quote of Joseph F Smith. I searched "Gospel Doctrine" by Joseph F. Smith and found nothing.

thedorman? Can you give us the references for the quotes you posted?

thank you,

applepansy

When Michael Angelo was painting the Sistine Chapel he went to a priest to enquire if in his painting of Adam if Adam should have a belly button. The discussions to resolve this inquire nearly started a civil war. To salve the problem Michael painted Adam with a fig leaf over where the belly button would have been and left other the rest of Adam exposed.

This is not a new problem of the modern era.

The question that I would ask is if G-d has changed the manner in which he creates mankind? If we believe G-d to be consistent then we can understand that an “unchanging G-d” created you and me just as he did Adam.

The Traveler

It's the simplest explanation consistent with the rest of LDS theology.

Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother have physical bodies (just like we do). Immortal, Exalted bodies, yes -- but still physical. Flesh and bone.

So when it came time to "make" Adam and Eve -- it seems obvious. God is about economy. God utilizes natural law.