Marmony in the home

Traveler

Sunday in our ward conference we were discussing harmony in the home. As the question was being discussed a wonderful idea came to me. You all must understand that my wife and I are as different as two people could be. Marriage has been a most difficult adjustment for both of us. Somehow we have remained committed and married for over 35 years and it has taken me most of that time to learn how I should harmonize with my family.

The thought that came to me comes from principles of music. I have sung in the ward choir for many years and have learned a thing or two from several ward choir directors (some who have been part of the Tabernacle Choir. Harmony is not everybody singing the same note. In fact there is no harmony if everyone is singing the same note. Harmony is not really about being together on one single idea. Harmony is blending separate and different notes or ideas.

Harmony is not about singing your note with perfect pitch. Harmony is achieved by listening to what other are singing and adjusting what you are singing to fit. If everybody is singing their notes slightly flat and you insist in singing your note precisely at the correct frequency that was written in the score, then you will not be singing in harmony with the choir.

If you cannot hear the others in your family and make adjustments to what you are doing then you are the cause of disharmony in your family – Harmony is not about you being right. It is about you making slight adjustments to blend with the others.

The Traveler

If I could slightly hijack you thread (which has been great so far) harmony is what I see (OK maybe I'm seeing with the eyes of faith rather then current state) amongst the denominations of the Christian church. Each bringing our own fragrance to the worship of God, some exuberance, some reverence, some the loving hands of Christ out to those who need it. I get to be one body with such a rich diversity of people of God and I hope to learn something from all of them.

We are all (in the grace of Jesus) the bride of Christ, preparing for the marrriage feast to end all marriage feast.

Excellent. With a husband who is not active in the church, marmony has been at times elusive in our home. What you say is true, me changing my pitch, with out giving up my values, has made all the difference.

If I could slightly hijack you thread (which has been great so far) harmony is what I see (OK maybe I'm seeing with the eyes of faith rather then current state) amongst the denominations of the Christian church. Each bringing our own fragrance to the worship of God, some exuberance, some reverence, some the loving hands of Christ out to those who need it. I get to be one body with such a rich diversity of people of God and I hope to learn something from all of them.

We are all (in the grace of Jesus) the bride of Christ, preparing for the marrriage feast to end all marriage feast.

I believe you are on to something. Harmony goes beyond the home. You may find the book "The Eye of Spirit - an integral vision for a world gone slightly mad" (by Ken Wilber - a Buddhist philosopher) a rather interesting way to "see" different views of religion, science, politics and social thinking.

The Traveler

Excellent. With a husband who is not active in the church, marmony has been at times elusive in our home. What you say is true, me changing my pitch, with out giving up my values, has made all the difference.

Alana,

I also have a husband who is not active in the church so I can identify with you.

I

Traveler, thank you for sharing that.

For me after 18 years of marriage there has been a lot of different songs in my home. Some of them not so pretty, but they have all made our marriage stronger and our love less selfsih.

Rain

Thanks to all that have responded. I have long believed that being a Christian is not so much about being right and "believing" right as it is about being loving, compassionate and mercifully towards others.

The Traveler