A prompting that makes me cry

fbs2

Let me give some background, (SAHM, last 20s, been married ~7, 2 kids 5 & 2). Okay, this is the first that I have posted about the prompting I got in the temple the past week. We were doing sealings and it just hit me like a rock...."you need to go back to school NOW!" I've never been one to receive a lot of revelations, but the since of urgency has me worried that I will lose DH very soon. Maybe I'm worried over nothing, but it is all I think about now. Will DH come home from work today? I feel like I shouldn't be worried because DH is the Bishop and has all that added protection that comes with it, but accidents still happen. I don't want to ignore the prompting and put off school, but we aren't in a position to do this at the time. Does anyone have any experience with a prompting such as this?

can you do online courses? night courses? anything to at least get you started?

it might not be a loss, but perhaps a job is in jeopardy? who knows. i woudn't worry so much about something happening to hubby, but concentrate more on following the prompting to begin schooling again.

Let me give some background, (SAHM, last 20s, been married ~7, 2 kids 5 & 2). Okay, this is the first that I have posted about the prompting I got in the temple the past week. We were doing sealings and it just hit me like a rock...."you need to go back to school NOW!" I've never been one to receive a lot of revelations, but the since of urgency has me worried that I will lose DH very soon. Maybe I'm worried over nothing, but it is all I think about now. Will DH come home from work today? I feel like I shouldn't be worried because DH is the Bishop and has all that added protection that comes with it, but accidents still happen. I don't want to ignore the prompting and put off school, but we aren't in a position to do this at the time. Does anyone have any experience with a prompting such as this?

This is starting to become a common theme among a few I have spoken too. Even on this forum and those around me in the office space.

Welcome to the forum....

i agree with bug, can't guess the why's of the prompting, it could be any number of things and the stress of worrying about it and guessing can hinder your progress.

look at every option that you have to go back to school and then pick one... and then pray if that is what the prompting meant. make it happen, nothing is ever the right time or convenient.

Maybe your career will help someone in a way that will have deep eternal consequences or the course you study may teach you something that you need to know for one of your children etc I know my patriachal blessing pays great attention to my career and I need to get started on it next summer just unsure what to study.

-Charley

I remember once when a good friend of mine told me that she had prayed about going on a mission, and the answer was no. She would have been an AWESOME missionary. When she told me, the first thought that jumped to my mind (and I said it to her), was "you're going to get married in the next year and a half." Well, she did, but that isn't always the case. Some people just aren't supposed to go.

With your prompting, I can totally understand that with that kind of urgency, the natural first thought would be "my husband is going to leave me." It may be that, but it may be something completely different. Around the time you finish school, he could lose his job, or he could be in a serious accident that makes him unable to to provide, or he could be gravely ill. There are a number of possibilities.

Or it could be nothing to do with your husband. It might be something completely separate...the Lord might just be testing you (though if that's the case, I'm not sure why the urgency).

In any case, if you recognize this as being the Spirit, and you feel strongly, I would go with it. You're probably too late for Winter classes (even at a community college), but I bet you can get in somewhere for Spring/Summer.

Don't work yourself into a frenzy worrying about the whys. You won't know until after you've acted on the prompting.

I recommend doing all you can to act on this. You'll be surprised at the doors and windows that will open to bless you in being obedient to a prompting from the Spirit.

applepansy

First and not often done is every man with a family should have sufficient life insurance. That takes care of it very inexpensively. If due to economic circumstances that is another thing.

My wife has never had to worry about me dying and what would she do. Loss of job is another thing.

Ben Raines

Good advice. My husband gets a certain amount of life insurance free through his employer. He chose to pay a small amount in order to increase it so that there would be enough for me to immediately pay off our mortgage and still have around $15,000 (I think) leftover to start over with.

First, I would act on the promptings you receive. Second, I would not even give a second thought as to why you should? Why? Because it will be speculation and serve no purpose. I could give you a 100 good reasons for returning to school, none of which would mean something terrible would happen to your husband. You should be grateful, that you are living worthy enough to receive such a prompting. Remember, you were in Gods house when you received it.

My wife went back to school once all our children were in school. She was in school while they were then got home before they did. Spent the afternoon with them and did homework in the evening after they went to bed.

She graduated with all but two A's She got two B's.

Has had a college degree most of our married life. Never needed it for a job, at home mom, but was ready if there was a need.

Ben Raines

First, do not fear. Fear will freeze you, and keep you from following the guidance. It is possible that all that will happen is your husband will lose his job, or perhaps be called on a special mission, where you will have to be able to manage the finances.

Second, start working toward the guidance. Prayerfully choose the direction you need to go in. Right now, the best job options are in the medical/dental fields, as the salaries are good and the number of jobs is good.

Look at this as an opportunity to grow. Don't look at it from fear. God gave you guidance, so you know He's on your side. Use that knowledge to give you comfort, faith and courage. With His help, you will overcome whatever occurs. Families are forever, so even if your husband is taken, you will not be apart forever. Let that give you hope, not fear.

Thanks to everyone. These are things that I know but I just couldn't shake the feeling that something big is going to happen. I guess I should have added that I already have a BS and grad school is going to be pricey. DH just finished his studies and with all the loan debt that we have we wanted to pay as much down as possible before I went back to school (since it would all be out of our pocket). It wouldn't be impossible to go back, just inconvenient.

Thanks!

Thank you for this post. I felt the spirit while reading it. How wonderful (for me! hehe) You posting this makes me feel more prepared to follow and receive prompting of my own.

I understand your feeling of fear. There were things said in my patriarchal blessing than depressed me, because of how I was interpreting them. With a little more insight and hindsight I see that how I see things isn't necessarily how they are. My first thought about your prompting wasn't concerning your husband but a thought that perhaps schooling will bring you into contact with someone who really need YOU to teach them about the gospel.

• 1 month later...

I am going to do grad school at the University of Phoenix BTW. I would rather do it in person but unfortunately my husband does not feel prompted to move at this time even though I would except for the health of one of his elder family members. Here where I am in Maine there are *no* jobs...McDonalds is perfectly honorable but as Joe says I did not remain a professional student way too long to ask "Dost thou desire fries with thine Big Mac, good sir?" I did my 2 years. I need a job that is stimulating, challenging, and helps others...maybe corny but a need for me.

Good for you for following the prompting, where there is a prompting there is a way, He would not ask you to do the impossible. The difficult, demanding, and requiring of sacrifice of you and yours but not the impossible and it will be worth it since it was from him, and from what I hear it was...temple revelations tend to be kind of reliable.:sarcastic.smartass:

and a mildly cussing Mormon emoticon?:eek:

J. Golden Kimball and my husband would be proud...:D

Thanks to everyone. These are things that I know but I just couldn't shake the feeling that something big is going to happen. I guess I should have added that I already have a BS and grad school is going to be pricey. DH just finished his studies and with all the loan debt that we have we wanted to pay as much down as possible before I went back to school (since it would all be out of our pocket). It wouldn't be impossible to go back, just inconvenient.

Thanks!

So, then there may be no hope of obtaining a grant for schooling?

* just a thought*

Here is a link to a work at home site.

(I know the lady, she screens the URLs she posts to make sure they aren't scams.)

There are jobs there for online teachers as well as other online jobs, maybe you could get one of those and save up the money for your schooling needs. The teaching jobs are listed at the bottom of the page.

Some of the teaching jobs do not require a degree, just the knowledge or experience to be able to teach others.

Education is never wasted. Even if it isn't used for a job, it gives us abilities and skills that we can use in other areas of our lives. I do not directly use my degrees, but the learning I received has helped me a lot indirectly through all my jobs, my church callings, and as a father and husband.

Remember that D&C 130 tells us that the individual who gains more knowledge in this life than the next person, will have that much more advantage in the world to come. I believe that, for we cannot be saved in ignorance.

Agreed and love that reference of D&C 130.

Paraphrasing Professor Nibley's quote; "education is from cradle to grave." When asked why I still attain academia being old now, I would reply, it does set the example to my children and helps us as individuals in building our own educational foundation. Nothing is wasted as you stated.

Edited by Hemidakota