Now what?

Sandgnome

I will make my first post a question. I have been a church member for more than ten years, just recently becoming active again. Anyway, my question is I have final got my dream job as a Police officer (started last July). I love it but, I don't think its the right thing for me to be doing. Whenever I pray about it I get the same feeling. I cant explain it, its just one of those things I know Heavenly Father is telling me. My wife and I have discussed it and were both wondering what to do. I pray like crazy about it and keep coming up with the same answer. Any suggestions?:(

If your promped to leave the force then you should probably do that. maybe theres something in law enforcement that could keep you from risking your life so much like probation officer there must be other options for you, pray about other positions.

There must be a reason for it, He knows more then we.

I would do it I ignored promptings to leave my dream career and ended up in a wheelchair and bedbound for 5 years just wish I had listened earlier lol instead Heavenly Father had to make me listen. Having said that the challenges my illness has given me have given me the chance to grow closer to him, but maybe I could have done it with a lot less pain if I had listened intially and left my course after the 1st year

-Charley

Thanks all! Dr. T Heavenly Father is telling me I'm not on the path.

As hard as it is I know the answer. I have to leave it. But I'm waiting for another door to open. I have bills to pay and a family to feed. I just wish I knew why. I have enough faith to trust God. I just hope I make the right decisions.

Hello Sandgnome,

I hope this doesn't sound trite since I’m sure you’ve felt this again and again but I wanted to post an excerpt from George Müller (1805-1898), an English evangelist and philanthropist, was remarkably and humbly gifted.

Knowing God's Will - How to Ascertain the Will of God

Knowing God's will is the key to prayer, spiritual growth and fruitfulness in our individual lives. Here's how George Müller set out to ascertain the will of God on a daily basis:

• I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regard to a given matter. Nine-tenths of the trouble with people generally is just here. Nine-tenths of the difficulties are over come when our hearts are ready to do the Lord's will, whatever it may be. When one is truly in this state, it is usually but a little way to the knowledge of what His will is.
  • Having done this, I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impression. If so, I make myself liable to great delusions.
  • I seek the Will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.
  • Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God's Will in connection with His Word and Spirit.
  • I ask God in prayer to reveal His Will to me aright.
  • Thus, through prayer to God, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. In trivial matters, and in transactions involving most important issues, I have found this method always effective.
In scripture we often see people saying, “NO” to God, “I’m not the right person” or “I know better” etc. I don’t think we are able to extricate ourselves from the decision but the above are sound in my opinion (but it doesn’t make it any easier). I hope you take the above and do with it whatever u do with it.

Then this is how I would ask the question.

Heavenly Father this is the path I have chosen for employment. I am troubled by it and where I am. I have decided to do "whatever you have chosen", is this the way that you would have me go?

You make the decision and seek confirmation. God then confirms your decision or causes a stupor of thought and then you go back and rethink your decision. Ask again about decision made, etc.

He does not tell us what to do but will confirm our decisions.

Ben Raines

I've thought about this for some time and have seen this issue as me on one side of a large mound (obstacles) in between me and God's will (on my way to walking with Jesus) and then I realized it's not that way at all. If I'm in the word and walking in the Spirit then Jesus is right beside me the whole way getting through the mound of things. But it is not so I can find God's will but no matter which way I go and stay grounded then it will be God' ultimate will. So instead of it being "I must find God's will/path and until then I'm on my own" to I’ll be in it with Jesus TOGETHER and trust His guidance. (Again, it doesn’t make it easier but I wanted to let u know what I mean) and I understand there are real life bills and responsibilities involved.

I would begin to start pondering and praying about job options. If not a police officer, should you stay in criminal justice arena (parole officer, Dept of Corrections, etc)? Should you go an entirely different path? Consider each path you could take right now, weigh the pros and cons and ask the Lord specifically about each of these paths. If he says, "this path is a good one", then work on that path. If God states, "this isn't a good one", then keep looking on other pathways.

If another path, does the new path require more/additional training? Prepare as much as you can. Does the path(s) He wishes you to take allow you to remain where you are, or does he want you elsewhere? Does God insist you change now, or is there a period of time he will give you before you make the arrangement. (For example, if God foresees a major incident in your future if you remain a police officer, perhaps jumping quickly is better than dragging your feet).

Then this is how I would ask the question.

Heavenly Father this is the path I have chosen for employment. I am troubled by it and where I am. I have decided to do "whatever you have chosen", is this the way that you would have me go?

You make the decision and seek confirmation. God then confirms your decision or causes a stupor of thought and then you go back and rethink your decision. Ask again about decision made, etc.

He does not tell us what to do but will confirm our decisions.

Ben Raines

Well Put Ben, I have to say make sure these feelings are not from you worring about the job, i know times when i pray about something i have to sort what i am worried about out with the true feelings i recieve (does that make sence?) and like pale rider said get a preistood blessing it will help.

At first I thought it might be those new job jitters. It different than that now. I have fun at work and I'm starting to get comfortable with it. BenRaines, I have taken your advice abut prayer and I can feel the spirit prompting me. I need to be somewhere else. Thanks for all of your advice and thoughts. I will keep you all updated.

Hello, Sandgnome,

You sound pretty convinced that you are being guided to leave this line of work. I would recommend, if you are confident in the promptings you are receiving, to heed those promptings quickly.....Especially in your dangerous field of work.

I wouldn't sit around too long on those promptings, but I would act on them fast, and find another job while you are making career decisions. As you can guess, make prayer/scripture study/fasting/talking with your spouse all a part of this. I can't help but believe that if the Spirit is prompting you this strongly to leave this field, a new job will soon be provided for you as you look for a new career to go into....something new will be provided for you if you trust in and pay heed to the Spririt's promptings...

You sound confident about this. If so, act on it, and don't wait...

Dove

If you have studied it out in your mind and have decided that you shouldn't be doing it then make a final decision. You may have to say "ok I have decided to leave the force', then resign. Then ask if what you are doing is right. That is how he usually works.

If then the right answer is yes you have showed the Lord faith that you are hearkening to his counsel, if it isn't right you can always re-instate in the force I am sure! Fasting is a super-dooper prayer and will help, but making a choice, sticking by it, then asking if it is right is the right way to do it.