What to Expect When Attending an LDS Service

• 2 months later...

Great video, I just feel I need to add to what was presented, and say that on the first Sunday of each month, worship service is a testimony meeting, where no one is assigned talks, but are for anyone in the congregation to stand up and share their testimony with everyone. Also on the first weekend of April, and October, there is General Conference, this you can watch on TV (where available), on the Internet, or at your local Stake Center. The Church has Stake Conferences as well, but you need to talk to your local Church leaders when that takes place.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish it would be on the FAQ's about Mormons, or something. People are are mystified and history is not on our side. My mother in law took a year to ask me about the Church. But she had asked half the family about "Mormons" before that. But she knew us and thus also new that it was not true what they told her.

She went to Sacrament with us once and within 1 month I baptized her. This is really awesome and relevant info that should be readily available.

• 5 months later...

Question

During the video, it said, "You are not expected to take the sacrament. Just pass it along."

What are the general rules about investigators taking the sacrament? I've always been told that investogators are welcome to take the sacrament, but they don't have to (just like children before they're baptized can take the sacrament as well).

Just curious about what all of you have heard.

My understanding is thus, and what I explained to investigators, it may or may not be correct:

They are free to take the sacrament, the Bishop isn't going to jump off the stand and wrest the bread or water away from your mouth, but as it is a renewal of a covenant (baptismal) they have not made there isn't really a point for them to do so.

My understanding is thus, and what I explained to investigators, it may or may not be correct:

They are free to take the sacrament, the Bishop isn't going to jump off the stand and wrest the bread or water away from your mouth, but as it is a renewal of a covenant (baptismal) they have not made there isn't really a point for them to do so.

Thanks Dravin. That makes sense. We let children take the sacrament before they're baptized, so I figured it was safe for investigators as well.

• 3 months later...

This seems as good a thread as any to ask this question: why the use of water, rather than grape juice or wine for the Sacrament?

This is only a partial answer, but it explains why it is acceptable:

For, behold, I say unto you, that it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink when ye partake of the sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory—remembering unto the Father my body which was laid down for you, and my blood which was shed for the remission of your sins.

The second half though is why we don't. Some cite the Word of Wisdom, though it does allow for wine taken in sacrament, as the reason. But that doesn't explain why not at least grape juice. Cost might be part of it (water is cheaper than wine), but if I was snowed in with my family and was blessing the sacrament for them I'd go for water, the grape juice in the fridge wouldn't occur to me. Of course at this point its culture, but the real question is what started the culture.

Sorry, I suppose I'm not being of much help.

• 1 month later...

Everybody will be offered the sacrament because the persons passing the sacrament do not know who are not members among the visitors in the congregation. As has been previously stated, the sacrament is for people who covenanted with the Lord thru baptism in the church. If you are not baptized yet, you are not obliged to partake, but you are not refused the sacrament either.

• 3 weeks later...