What to Expect When Attending an LDS Service

Missionairies I've spoken to say they have been taught it is fine for investigators to partake. This was quite awhile ago tho. Can't see why that would change.

Just recently emailed our Bishop about this just to be sure and he says the only reason an investigator should not take the sacrament is if thier uncomfortable with it.

I've been to the LDS church once but it was not a service so to speak, it was not on sunday. The missionaries took me on a building tour. We walked around and they showed me every room in the church. The baptism room was quite something.

I would go again but my friend who took me there just goes too far with me... all I have to do is show a little interest and she starts making arrangements to bring about three missionaries to my house and endless meetings with them from that point onwards. It's all a bit too much so I tend to speak with other mormons I know on facebook, forums and by email.

I would like to attend a sunday service but I'm put off by her prematurely trying to convert me.

I've been to the LDS church once but it was not a service so to speak, it was not on sunday. The missionaries took me on a building tour. We walked around and they showed me every room in the church. The baptism room was quite something.

I would go again but my friend who took me there just goes too far with me... all I have to do is show a little interest and she starts making arrangements to bring about three missionaries to my house and endless meetings with them from that point onwards. It's all a bit too much so I tend to speak with other mormons I know on facebook, forums and by email.

I would like to attend a sunday service but I'm put off by her prematurely trying to convert me.

I would say go to a service without telling your friend. Find another ward and then you won't feel the pressure from her. Take another friend if you are uncomfortable about going alone.

Nothing wrong with that Dominic. Was just about to call you Dom. The Bishop in my area, who is a longtime friend has the name Domenic.:)

Don't call me Dom, the last guy that did that nearly had his head torn off!

I would say go to a service without telling your friend. Find another ward and then you won't feel the pressure from her. Take another friend if you are uncomfortable about going alone.

There is only one LDS church nearby me. She would notice if I popped in.

• 3 months later...

I watched a YouTube video on what to expect at an LDS service and realized that I have some preparation to do before I could even attend a service. I don't even own a dress or a skirt. I'm so much more comfortable in long dress pants that I just stopped wearing them some time ago. Also, when my hubby's work place stopped dressing in suits and went more casual, he doesn't even own a suit anymore. I guess I had never even thought about it before. So now I plan to buy an appropriate outfit for both of us in case he ever agrees to visit the service with me. I was so grateful for the video because I really don't want to stick out and feel like I'm dressed inappropriately. It's like wearing a sign around your neck saying "I'm not LDS". I would have been very uncomfortable.

I really appreciate all the help and advice I can get.

I watched a YouTube video on what to expect at an LDS service and realized that I have some preparation to do before I could even attend a service. I don't even own a dress or a skirt. I'm so much more comfortable in long dress pants that I just stopped wearing them some time ago. Also, when my hubby's work place stopped dressing in suits and went more casual, he doesn't even own a suit anymore. I guess I had never even thought about it before. So now I plan to buy an appropriate outfit for both of us in case he ever agrees to visit the service with me. I was so grateful for the video because I really don't want to stick out and feel like I'm dressed inappropriately. It's like wearing a sign around your neck saying "I'm not LDS". I would have been very uncomfortable.

I really appreciate all the help and advice I can get.

You don't need to go and buy a suit for your husband, some dress slacks, a white shirt and tie will have been 'blending' in just fine. You won't be shunned in dress pants yourself but I can understand wanting to minimize any differentness, it is an unknown environment to begin with.

• 9 months later...

As long as you dress modestly, you can wear whatever you want and no one will throw you out. You, as a woman, can even wear Levi’s, but it will be clear that your not a member, and people will come up to you and try to convert you, so if you don’t want that, then wear something that is semi-formal.

• 5 months later...
Guest Chri77pher88
Hidden

I stickied this thread. I thought it was an excellent video and just perfect for those that might visit this site looking for some answers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 1 year later...

If I'd only seen this I wouldn't have been caught flat footed with the "wear pants to church day"... When Id been wearing pants for a year. Drats! Foiled again.

Great video!

ETA.... Aaaaaaaaand that's another date-check-fail on my part. I need to start keeping a tally somewhere. (Im still not sure if this morning was 1-5 or 5-1. You know what they say: If life gives you melons, you're probably dyslexic. Still a great video!

Edited by BadWolf

I wouldn't worry about sticking out because of what you wear. Mormon congregations are like families, and are quite close knit. You will likely be welcomed by several people and asked if you are visiting. Unfamiliar faces stand out far more than clothing. But it's a good thing.

• 2 months later...

Well... I guess I should share my experience...

Saturday they had an open...meeting house, so I thought it would be a neat opportunity, while nervous I think I didn't come off like a total dolt, and they invited me to come to church the next day (it dawned on me I didn't realize it was Saturday at that moment), expecting a call from my job to start I said I would if work didn't call. No call (turned out it was machine error since it was all done by auto dialer) as a man of his word, I went.

Boy did I stand out, what with my run of the mill clothes (I don't own church clothes) long hair and my general confusion. A lot of people said hello to me, talked to me, I do wonder if the missionaries expected me to show up. They had a lunch afterwards, all in all, I felt it was a nice experience.

I didn't feel watched, which was my real fear. It was draining but not in a bad way.

• 4 weeks later...

Well... I guess I should share my experience...

Saturday they had an open...meeting house, so I thought it would be a neat opportunity, while nervous I think I didn't come off like a total dolt, and they invited me to come to church the next day (it dawned on me I didn't realize it was Saturday at that moment), expecting a call from my job to start I said I would if work didn't call. No call (turned out it was machine error since it was all done by auto dialer) as a man of his word, I went.

Boy did I stand out, what with my run of the mill clothes (I don't own church clothes) long hair and my general confusion. A lot of people said hello to me, talked to me, I do wonder if the missionaries expected me to show up. They had a lunch afterwards, all in all, I felt it was a nice experience.

I didn't feel watched, which was my real fear. It was draining but not in a bad way.

Well, least I know now not to wear my normal clothes. I do have a suit and all, so I might wear that. I'm actually gunna wear normal clothes on my first time, just to get noticed. I want to talk to as many people as possible. xD But after that, church clothes are what I will wear.

I wish the missionaries would show a dvd like this to prospective converts!

We had 2 baptisms this month, which is great. The first Sunday afterwards, when they were receiving the gift of the holy ghost, the male turned up in a suit, the young lady turned up in stuff I wear to the gym - black 3/4 length tights and a T-shirt (which did not cover her bottom).

I have no issue with what people wear, I just hope she was informed about what is "normal" and made her own decision to dress like that, rather than not being informed and feeling bad.

I saw 1 fellow turn up at church in New Zealand in a Bintang (beer) singlet, stubby shorts and thongs (on his feet). He had a long beard and tattoos. He was welcomed as much as if he were wearing a suit :)

I still think they will notice you, but you're church could be much bigger then the one here

I still don't own church clothes but they seem to feel its more important that I am actually there vs what I am wearing

They most likely will. I think the church I am going to is quite large. I looked on the Meetinghouse locator, and the Chapel itself is enormous... not to mention the parking lot. I am guessing AT LEAST 300-400 members. And that makes me that much more nervous when I get baptized.

They most likely will. I think the church I am going to is quite large. I looked on the Meetinghouse locator, and the Chapel itself is enormous... not to mention the parking lot. I am guessing AT LEAST 300-400 members. And that makes me that much more nervous when I get baptized.

I fail to remember what the precise number, but once attendance reaches a certain number, Wards split... so the meetinghouse you're thinking of quite possibly has a few Wards or Branches meeting in it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...