Oh the horror!!!!!

bytor2112

"It was on those streets, in those neighborhoods, that I first heard God's spirit beckon me. It was there that I felt called to a higher purpose – His purpose." - President Obama

Obama's just like Bush :eek::eek: a religious nut. Maybe it's something in the Whitehouse water????:huh:

Edited by bytor2112
spelling

"It was on those streets, in those neighborhoods, that I first heard God's spirit beckon me. It was there that I felt called to a higher purpose – His purpose." - President Obama

Context, context, context: Without it, Bytor, you are no different than the anti-Mormons who visit LDS boards hoping to sway members with information they think will discredit the Church, such as Joseph’s practice of polygamy.

I cannot count how many times these people post something they have just discovered, out of context, thinking their information is a “gotcha,“ and don’t realize we’ve all heard it before.

A few times, I have even been the first one to tell the person s/he is taking the information out of context, and that the Church is not going to implode because of these quotes.

Bytor, you’ve just done exactly what these anti-Mormons do: You quoted Obama out of context, in an effort to discredit him and his personal spiritual beliefs, and in my opinion, you've crossed the line.

One aspect of the missing context, i.e., the place where the words were said, is as follows:

1) Bush spoke of his conversion to Christ in a presidential debate.

2) Obama spoke of his conversation to Christ at a prayer breakfast.

See how the milieu changes when presented in context?

Additionally, here is the paragraph you quoted, where you took Obama's words out of context by ommiting part of his narrative, I‘ve bolded and italicized the part in question.

I didn’t become a Christian until many years later, when I moved to the South Side of Chicago after college. It happened not because of indoctrination or a sudden revelation, but because I spent month after month working with church folks who simply wanted to help neighbors who were down on their luck – no matter what they looked like, or where they came from, or who they prayed to. It was on those streets, in those neighborhoods, that I first heard God’s spirit beckon me. It was there that I felt called to a higher purpose – His purpose.

Again, see how things look different when you add context?

I cannot think of any LDS member on the board, who does not believe God has a higher calling for him/her, as demonstrated by your concerted efforts to strive to know Christ better. Yet you mock Obama for doing the same?

Obama's just like Bush a religious nut. Maybe it's something in the Whitehouse.

Hardly.

For example, in June of 2003, at a meeting with Palestinian leaders, Bush said:

I feel God's words coming to me: 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God, I'm gonna do it."

I would be incredulous if Obama ever said such a thing.

I am aware of the disdian you have for Obama, and obviously, there is nothing wrong with that, as it is what you believe.

However, mocking his conversion to Christianity is below the belt, especially given you say practically the same thing.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

I get the humor in it all.. gotta have the puns...:]

I also know that we must also walk a fine line as members as we believe in;

We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

I myself have mixed feelings about our new President... but know I also believe Father in Heavem has a hand in all the presidents we have had, whether they have made wrong choices or not.

I appreciate the humor intended also ...

Must... resist... thanking... Elphaba... She sits on the opposite side of my political fence, but she's right! Dangit!

Hey LM,

You'd be surprised how often I agree with you. Perhaps I should make a boilerplate post:

Must . . . resist . . . thanking . . . Loudmouth . . . because . . . . he'll . . . get . . . scared . . . if . . . Elphaba . . . . agrees . . . with . . . . him!

Elphaba :P

Actually, that was Dick Cheney speaking telepathically to the Prez---I think that 'God' was just a nickname that King George gave him.

Or, it could be he still has that box he wore at the last debate with Kerry.

Remember, the one that protruded from under his jacket in the middle of his back? Maybe that was Cheney on Bush's walkie talki too!

Elphaba

Elphaba,

Sorry, I don't see it as any different than a Bush comment. The post was intended to be tongue and cheek.......and not serious and you took my quote out of context....you left out the :eek::eek:, which might have led you to conclude that I was jesting.

Obama's just like Bush a religious nut. Maybe it's something in the Whitehouse.

As far as me saying practically the same thing........I have no problem with what Obama said and I hope he is sincere. One might wonder given his relationship...or perhaps it is now former relationship with the Reverend Wright Personally, I don't think what President Obama said discredits him in anyway....do you??? As far as context goes, were it a serious post I would have included all of the relative comments, since it wasn't I didn't and frankly the comment in it's entirety doesn't change the fact that he espoused a higher calling from the Infinite and Eternal, which is great and suggests the he may be a man of faith ....like the former President. Comparing me to anti-mormons who visit LDS forums is .....well let's just say innacurate, since my real thoughts at this moment are better left unsaid.

-Bytor

Edited by bytor2112

Obama's just like Bush :eek::eek: a religious nut. Maybe it's something in the Whitehouse water????:huh:

I don't see this as mocking Obama.

I was intrigued by an author on the Colbert Report this last week who talked about the progression of religion in the White House. It is interesting how much religion has been present from 1976 to today.

I think the presence of prayer in the White House is a very positive thing. However, I have been both skeptical and dismayed how people have tried to manipulate religious sentiment for their own political advancement over the last thirty years.

I get the humor in it all.. gotta have the puns...:]

I myself have mixed feelings about our new President... but know I also believe Father in Heavem has a hand in all the presidents we have had, whether they have made wrong choices or not.

I appreciate the humor intended also ...

I believe Heavenly Father used to have a hand in who was to be President. But I believe it is the CFR, or Trilateral commission that has a hand now (since 1976). You'll see!

(Remember, we live in a time that the ruler of this world, and government, is not The Lord)

It is not like he has been portrayed by his followers as The Messiah or anything...

Posted Image

I do not care so much about the hope and faith of someone who steals my and my childrens' money to bail out his pals and to fund his desires and whims. The more he expresses his faith, regardless of context, and the more I see his actions, the more disgusting--and unbelievable--it all becomes. But, I am a bit peculiar about the whole liberty thing.

It is not like he has been portrayed by his followers as The Messiah or anything...

Posted Image

I do not care so much about the hope and faith of someone who steals my and my childrens' money to bail out his pals and to fund his desires and whims. The more he expresses his faith, regardless of context, and the more I see his actions, the more disgusting--and unbelievable--it all becomes. But, I am a bit peculiar about the whole liberty thing.

I am sorry I agree. He is just the paid puppet in the scam of creating the NWO.

On a good note no scam or conspiriosy can combat God and his plans.... I will look for the scripture don't have it right off but The constitution will not fall. God still has a hand in the choices... he suddenly did not stop in 1976 ...as much at things go wrong it is the rightious that will help save the USA... And guidance from Father in Heaven.

Posted Image

You do understand this is just an illustration. When you see the poster with Obama with a cape and tights yanking food out of your children's mouth you can really shout, "Messiah".

Edited by Moksha
spellun

He is just the paid puppet in the scam of creating the NWO.

The good people of Hurricane and LaVerkin, Utah are undoubtedly saying the same thing. No New World Orders allowed there. No fluoride either! If you want someone you can really trust, have their strings be from the oil industry only.

You do understand this is just an illustration. When you see the poster with Obama with a cape and tights yanking food out of your children's mouth you can really shout, "Messiah".

Of course the figurative picture is even more real.

Perhaps you can see the slight increase in new reserves in the chart below. This is "Obama with a cape and tights yanking food out of [my] children's mouth," destroying the worth of the dollar.

You can also look at the (nominal) $800 BILLION plus "stimulus" package. If the population of the US had to pay the $2666--for every man, woman, and child--to fund this bailout, we'd maybe have a revolution. This is why I am "shouting."

Posted Image

Maybe the image below will help for now.

Posted Image

Of course the figurative picture is even more real.

Perhaps you can see the slight increase in new reserves in the chart below. This is "Obama with a cape and tights yanking food out of [my] children's mouth," destroying the worth of the dollar.

You can also look at the (nominal) $800 BILLION plus "stimulus" package. If the population of the US had to pay the $2666--for every man, woman, and child--to fund this bailout, we'd maybe have a revolution. This is why I am "shouting."

Yes...like I said in another thread, I predict the collapse of the US dollar within 18 months.