Brain Teases.

sakuragirl

You ask one of the guards,

"if i were to ask the other guard which door is the right one, what would he say?"

For example, the correct door is the door on the left, so if you asked the truth telling guard, he would say, "The other guard would say, the door on your right"

If you asked the liar, he would say "The other guard will say, the door on your right" He says this, cause he always lies.

This is not the correct answer. The problem with your theory is that you do not know which guard tells the truth. Nor do you know who the liar is. And either could be guarding either door. AND you ONLY get ONE question which must be asked to BOTH guards at once. No asking one then asking the other. But you're very very close. Nice try though :)

Edited by SinnerMan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you found yourself standing before two guards, who each guard a door, *two doors total* and one door led to heaven...one to hell. One guard always and only lies, the other only gives pure truth... you do not know who is who for they are identical in every way ... how would you determon which door led to heaven by asking only ONE question, which must be addressed to both guards at the same time?

I'll say that the liar could be guarding heaven....or he could be guarding hell...and vice versa. Again you only get one question that must be presented to both guards. How do you discern which door leads to Heaven?

There is only one right answer to this. :)

is my question allowed to be "would you both please open your doors so i can see in?" :D

SinnerMan: This may not be what you're looking for, but check it out -- it actually works: Ask the two guards, "Would you be allowed to enter the door you are guarding?" (Or maybe, "Are you guarding the door that leads to your eternal reward?") As soon as you hear the "Yes," walk through that door! Try it, you'll like it.

SinnerMan: This may not be what you're looking for, but check it out -- it actually works: Ask the two guards, "Would you be allowed to enter the door you are guarding?" (Or maybe, "Are you guarding the door that leads to your eternal reward?") As soon as you hear the "Yes," walk through that door! Try it, you'll like it.

I like how you think, but no. Because the liar will say yes if he has heaven and no if he has hell...however you dont know what door he has... The truth teller will say yes if he has heaven, and no if he has hell...but you dont know what door he has. :) And remember they cant open the door to show you.

you would ask "what would the other guard tell me was heaven"...sakura was onto the right idea, but the lying one, knowing the other always tells the truth, would point to hell. the truth telling one, knowing the other always lies, would also point to hell. you'd pick the door they aren't pointing to.

I like how you think, but no. Because the liar will say yes if he has heaven and no if he has hell...however you dont know what door he has... The truth teller will say yes if he has heaven, and no if he has hell...but you dont know what door he has. :) And remember they cant open the door to show you.

Read 'em and weep, SinnerMan! In your example you say that, "the liar will say yes if he has heaven," and, "The truth teller will say yes if he has heaven." I said, "As soon as you hear the 'Yes,' walk through that door!" By your own example you show that the guard who says, "Yes," is guarding the door to heaven, regardless of who he is (and I really don't care who he is, because I'm in Heaven).

you would ask "what would the other guard tell me was heaven"...sakura was onto the right idea, but the lying one, knowing the other always tells the truth, would point to hell. the truth telling one, knowing the other always lies, would also point to hell. you'd pick the door they aren't pointing to.

Good job Lbybug, you got it :)

That answer belongs to an old riddle often told about two natives on an island, one from a tribe who always lies and one from a tribe that always tells the truth. But the tribes presumably know that the other person belongs to the other tribe. You never said that the guards knew who the other was (liar, truth teller), plus you added that you would ask both guards at the same time, the original version usually allows only one person to be asked. Therefore, I devised a completely new answer, one that only works when both are asked and even works if the guards are completely ignorant of whether the other guard lies or not.

In comment #76 you told sakuragirl she was incorrect. I recognized her answer as the correct one for the old riddle, although it was not completely spelled out, therefore I thought you must be looking for something else, which I provided. You said in comment #33 "There is only one right answer to this." Do you still think so?

That answer belongs to an old riddle often told about two natives on an island, one from a tribe who always lies and one from a tribe that always tells the truth. But the tribes presumably know that the other person belongs to the other tribe. You never said that the guards knew who the other was (liar, truth teller), plus you added that you would ask both guards at the same time, the original version usually allows only one person to be asked. Therefore, I devised a completely new answer, one that only works when both are asked and even works if the guards are completely ignorant of whether the other guard lies or not.

In comment #76 you told sakuragirl she was incorrect. I recognized her answer as the correct one for the old riddle, although it was not completely spelled out, therefore I thought you must be looking for something else, which I provided. You said in comment #33 "There is only one right answer to this." Do you still think so?

So you dont think that the guards knew themselves? Because if I were a guard in a riddle that had one liar and one truth teller...and I was the liar...wouldnt it be simple to deduce that the OTHER GUY must be tellin the truth? :lol:

KISS Keep it Simple Sweetheart

Answer to the spy riddle....He calls for the time to hide the number he called prior if anyone tried to hit redial.

"Brad walked through the front door and almost tripped over his wife. She was on her hands and knees with her face inches from the floor. 'Oh, Brad,' she pouted. 'The diamond fell out of my wedding ring and I lost it! I've been searching for hours! Our house is so big, it could be anywhere!' Brad calmly took her in his arms and told her it would be okay. "I bet I'll find your diamond in the very first place I look.' How did he manage this when he had no idea where the diamond was?"

So you dont think that the guards knew themselves? Because if I were a guard in a riddle that had one liar and one truth teller...and I was the liar...wouldnt it be simple to deduce that the OTHER GUY must be tellin the truth? :lol:

KISS Keep it Simple Sweetheart

It doesn't matter what you "think" the guards know. We don't "know" what they know. You're assuming that the guards knew who each other was. Just because the riddle tells me that one lies and ones tells the truth does not say whether they knew anything about the other. What if they made barely changed the guards five minutes ago and these two had never talked or met previously? Don't assume more information than is there.

Anyway, I'll drop that, but will you admit that my solution was actually right? (Even though you said it wrong yet you proved by your very example that it worked. See comments #81 and #88.) Comment #33 is the original riddle for any wishing to judge for themselves.

Answer to the spy riddle....He calls for the time to hide the number he called prior if anyone tried to hit redial.

"Brad walked through the front door and almost tripped over his wife. She was on her hands and knees with her face inches from the floor. 'Oh, Brad,' she pouted. 'The diamond fell out of my wedding ring and I lost it! I've been searching for hours! Our house is so big, it could be anywhere!' Brad calmly took her in his arms and told her it would be okay. "I bet I'll find your diamond in the very first place I look.' How did he manage this when he had no idea where the diamond was?"

She was a blonde. The diamond was still in the ring because she actually was wearing her husband's ring, thinking it was her own.