???? Pork ????

prisonchaplain

We may not live under the spiritual authority of the Mosaic law, but God sure seemed to have it in for pork. Jews and Muslims both oppose it. I've heard that pentecostals in Puerto Rico don't eat it either. Maybe it's not healthy? Maybe there is something spiritually unhealthy about it?

Without sinking into a legalism, could it be that Christians should abstain from pork as a "best choice," rather than a requirement or command?

Well, this:

On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

...says to me that it's all equally ok to eat now.

There might be something physically unhealthy, but I doubt there's anything spiritually unhealthy about eating pork (unless one is doing so in violation of the Lord's decreed law).

We have scripture that talks about physical health too:

And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion

:P

Maybe there is something spiritually unhealthy about it?

There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

17 And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.

18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;

19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?

20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.

Jesus

OK...this was a tongue-in-cheek play off the other string, about the porkulous bill. Jesus, in Matthew's gospel, says that it's not what goes in a person, but what comes out. In saying this he declared all foods clean. Some people may choose not to consume, out of respect for our Jewish roots (spiritually). Likewise, we have no images of Jesus in our house, though I would never condemn others as idolaters, who do. At the most, issues like this might fall under personal convictions or covenants.

And...I'm glad. Maybe there's something in my Viking & Germanic heritage that draws me to sausage, to ham, etc...but if Jesus ever tells me no, he can take my pork...so long as He keeps me.

Pretty sure the ancient people in the middle east noticed that eating pork (or perhaps animals with cloven hooves) could cause illness. What they didn't know was that proper and thorough cooking could take care of that. Not sure if there was a prohibition against mad cows, but I suspect inappropriate laughter and bathroom humor would give them away.

Thank goodness we do not have that prohibition against mixing meat and dairy or else we would have to give up on pizza!

I imagine Confucius liked his pork noodles.

Could it be that there were pagan pratices with the preperation of pork? I've done some reading and I remember reading that was the primary cause for the reasons of Jews being Kosher. The mixing of meat (flesh) and milk were not suppose to be had and a lot of it dealt with the pratices of the other nations did it in their religious observances. I'd have to look it up but probably there were some cultures that did not worship the way the Children of Israel did and pork may have had some other significances beside being unclean.

Guest Godless

As Moksha said, undercooked pork can be quite harmful. The ancient nomad nations didn't have the sophisticated cooking methods that we have today, so it makes sense that they viewed eating pork as a bad thing but not beef, which is usually safe to eat undercooked, or chicken, which is easy to cook properly.

We may not live under the spiritual authority of the Mosaic law, but God sure seemed to have it in for pork. Jews and Muslims both oppose it. I've heard that pentecostals in Puerto Rico don't eat it either. Maybe it's not healthy? Maybe there is something spiritually unhealthy about it?

Without sinking into a legalism, could it be that Christians should abstain from pork as a "best choice," rather than a requirement or command?

Bring out the HAM and BACON. I for one would be glad to help anyone who still reside under the Mosiac Dietary Laws and also, not to eat with us infidels gentiles. ^_^

As Moksha said, undercooked pork can be quite harmful. The ancient nomad nations didn't have the sophisticated cooking methods that we have today, so it makes sense that they viewed eating pork as a bad thing but not beef, which is usually safe to eat undercooked, or chicken, which is easy to cook properly.

I think Godless hit it on the head. The ancient Mosaic Law had a lot to do with temporal sanitation as well as spiritual laws (for instance the cases of leprosy, women being unclean while on their menstrual cycle, etc.).

I think there was probably a health aspect to parts of the Law of Moses, but I'm unconvinced that that was the entire purpose of the law.

It seems to me that from Abraham onwards, the people that would become Israel was by design a nation of outsiders--a peculiar people, as the saying goes. They were repeatedly placed in a variety of highly visible situations (first in the highest circles of the government of Egypt, then as a populous slave community, then finally ensconced in the Levant at the crossroads of three major empires and a number of smaller principalities)--but they were always aware that they were somehow different from the masses. It gave Israel a sense of community and purpose that has lasted through three millennia and several outright attempts at extermination.

As I understand it, several of the substances we eschew because of the Word of Wisdom aren't really that much more harmful than other substances about which the WoW says nothing. I don't know that the Lord was as concerned about the impact of the king of Babylon's meat on Shadrach, Mesach, and Abed-Nego's physical bodies as He was concerned about their opportunity and willingness to be an example of the believers to a nation that had not embraced Him. Similarly, I'm not sure that the Lord is as interested in what a daily cup of Joe will do to my body, as He is interested in how I take advantage of the subtle missionary opportunities that my abstinence from that substance may provide me among my co-workers and friends.