Chinese food!

Fiannan

I was going to say. Those that enjoy Chinese food here in the states are not tasting it the way it is made in China. When I went to Hong Kong I tried some of the dishes that I was somewhat familiar with. Very much a different taste. I actually found it quite bland in Hong Kong.

Ah, the China I am so used to!!!!!

YouTube - Dog for Dinner

This video really captures the atmosphere of wandering around the food establishments of any Chinese city (maybe witht he exception of Hong Kong).

One thing I am lloking forward to is that someone going with me soon has never been to China and has never tasted dog -- but she says she is up to it. When I was in Ping Yow I was not aware dog was a traditional Chinese birthday meal. What a coincidence that my son ordered boiled dog -- and ordered a second helping on his birthday.

I prefer the stir fry version.

Ah, the China I am so used to!!!!!

YouTube - Dog for Dinner

This video really captures the atmosphere of wandering around the food establishments of any Chinese city (maybe witht he exception of Hong Kong).

One thing I am lloking forward to is that someone going with me soon has never been to China and has never tasted dog -- but she says she is up to it. When I was in Ping Yow I was not aware dog was a traditional Chinese birthday meal. What a coincidence that my son ordered boiled dog -- and ordered a second helping on his birthday.

I prefer the stir fry version.

I am not sure if I would eat dog. Maybe if it was put before me and not displayed in a window like in a butcher's shop.

The only things I've eaten would probably be tame compared to that. I have had frog legs and rabbit.

That actually made me nauseous. I couldn't watch all of it. All I could think of was my own dog which I love as a member of my family.

I can understand that -- people feel like they are eating their pet. One time I was with someone who said they would eat cat, but not dog, because they didn't like cats but had always had dogs for pets.

Another time someone thought all the talk of dog meat was just some isolated thing in China but we were on our way to a fancy Peking duck restaraunt just after getting situated at our hotel and the first thing she saw practically was a street vender preparing dog kebobs. She didn't throw up then, but she did when she went to use a public bathroom for the first time.:D

I am not sure if I would eat dog. Maybe if it was put before me and not displayed in a window like in a butcher's shop.

The only things I've eaten would probably be tame compared to that. I have had frog legs and rabbit.

In the markets you can get entire toads on a stick as well as rabbit on a stick.:lol:

In the markets you can get entire toads on a stick as well as rabbit on a stick.:lol:

Markets are fun. I've never been to China but do wish I could go there someday. I've been to France though as a study abroad student and the open markets are also fun. The most intresting thing was seeing live rabbits and chickens. My American brain was thinking about the rabbits, Oh it's a pet. lol :P

Totally understand that one.

The really bad bathrooms are found on sleeper trains. When you first start out you just have a hole in the floor as a toilet, surrounded by some metal to stand on but they often put carpet in the rest of the bathroom. So you can just imagine what it's like after several hours and with the way trains can pull from one side to the next when traveling. Best to schedule a fast when using this form of transportation.

In Matthew chapter 29 verse 8 we find the following:

8 And the Lord appeared, and said: 'Verily I say unto you, that thou shalt not eat of the flesh of dogs, for such are given as companions of man.'

It's a religious thing for me not to eat dogs.

*Sings 'That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!'*

Oh man you got me on that one. I went to look that up in the scriptures and there is no Chapter 29. But I think that scripture should be in there.

Isn't there something in the Levitical and Mosaic laws about not eating dog? Should this go in the Pork thread? :P

Edit: Okay I looked up the scriptures for real. Nothing about not eating dog. But none of the dog verses in the TG are too favorable towards dogs. But just those refrences would really make me turn up my nose at dog meat.

Edited by AngelLynn

Isn't there something in the Levitical and Mosaic laws about not eating dog? Should this go in the Pork thread? :P

Edit: Okay I looked up the scriptures for real. Nothing about not eating dog. But none of the dog verses in the TG are too favorable towards dogs. But just those refrences would really make me turn up my nose at dog meat.

Lewis and Clark hated the taste of salmon so they traded with Indian tribes for dog meat. In fact, it seems dogs were an important part of their diet while they were in the Pacific Northwest.

Lewis and Clark hated the taste of salmon so they traded with Indian tribes for dog meat. In fact, it seems dogs were an important part of their diet while they were in the Pacific Northwest.

Yea. The Native Americans also ate dog as well.

Ironically this discussion reminds me of something that happened with my parents. My parents were moving to Las Vegas from Hathorne, NV. They had their dog with them and decided to give him away to a home. One day this Oriential woman answered my mom's advert and said in a heavily accented voice.

"You have dog?"

My mom cringed knowing that many Asians eat dog, plus the tone she got from the woman's voice didn't inspire any confidence in her and she said quickly, "He's already been given to a home."

In the end, he ended up being taken with them to Vegas.

• 2 weeks later...

hehe I thought this was about chinese food! =) now this has become a discussion on eating dogs..

but i did eat dog meat once. huhuhu..

My father tricked me. I thought it was caldereta (Filipino beef stew).. turned out it was azucena (pretty much the same recipe except that it's dog meat). And I had several helpings of it too!

hehe I thought this was about chinese food! =) now this has become a discussion on eating dogs..

but i did eat dog meat once. huhuhu..

My father tricked me. I thought it was caldereta (Filipino beef stew).. turned out it was azucena (pretty much the same recipe except that it's dog meat). And I had several helpings of it too!

Actually, it's not bad at all.

:(

I used to own gerbils, they are so cute...

Oh and where is a conversastion about Chinese food (I *love* it) without MSG?

When we lived near Boston my husband and I went to Chinatown frequently. And we saw a bag of MSG...:eek::lol:

It is a white powder BTW and is unbelievably bad for you...our favorite Chinese restaurant The New Great Wall serves its food without it but I am health unconscious enough not to care. Ans raamen noodles...we get the authentic ones from Chinatown...nothing but the best badness for us!:D

Oh and the *real* stuff is good...I have had dim sum in an authentic Chinese restaurant with a Japanese friend...I was the the only white person there...good stuff but I don't recommend the chicken feet...three breaded toes...:eek:

oh and I *may* try dog...cat, no.