Second Anointing

bytor2112

I've heard of it... I know nothing about it, but according to the Institute teacher who was telling us that it exists (nothing specific), there is a lengthy talk about it in Journals and Discourses.

I guess it's something that you get personally called by the prophet to have done by him in a special room in the temple... That's all I know and probably all I should know I'd imagine.

Talking about whether or not it exists or not is one thing.

Giving details of the ceremony is another.

Google it. I believe you can find references to it.

Don Cecil Corbett, Mary Fielding Smith, Daughter of Britain: Portrait of Courage, p.198

5. "She [bathsheba W. Smith] was one of the very few who had their endowments in the Prophet's lifetime, and it is worthy of mention here that her testimony is that the ordinances in our temples today are exactly the same as was that of the first ordinances given under the Prophet's direction. She had her blessings in 1843 in Nauvoo. The services were held in a large room over the [Prophet's] store. Here was given the initial blessings to the Apostles then in Nauvoo, and here began the mighty work which is now of such magnitude. She remembers the names of the first couples who received endowments, and these were: The Prophet and wife, the Patriarch and wife, Brigham Young and wife, Heber C. Kimball and wife, Dr. Willard Richards and wife, Father Smith and wife and Father Joseph Smith and wife, Bishop Whitney and wife and Amassa Lyman and wife."-Young Woman's Journal, IV (Apr. 1893), 295. Accordingly, the endowment which Mary Smith received December 10, 1845, was a second endowment.

In further regard thereto, in Fielding, Bk. 5, p. 75, it states: ". . . on Friday, the 12th [Jan. 1846] I and my wife received our endowments, having formerly received it in the days of Joseph and Hyrum, but it is now given in a more perfect manner because of better conveniences. The 12 are very strict in attending to the true and proper form. On Sunday the 21st, 986 had received their endowment."

I know of no "manual" for this. Jesus Christ reveals it to us indivdually. It is between you and the Lord, alone.

During the endowment that most members are familiar with --- notice that promises are made conditioned upon our faithfulness.

During the Second Endowment, the promises are made unconditional. We always have choice. But for the most part, we are told "You will receive your exaltation..." - it is a gaurantee. No more conditions to be met.

It is the reason we are tested so thoroughly before such promises are made. It is the reason why the Lord makes these promises to us IN PERSON. He knows us. He knows our hearts. He knows when we are ready.

Consider these words:

"...explaining the principle of the second comforter, the Prophet Joseph Smith said these words: ". . . After a person has faith in Christ, repents of his sins, and is baptized for the remission of his sins and receives the Holy Ghost, (by the laying on of hands) which is the first Comforter, then let him continue to humble himself before God, hungering and thirsting after righteousness, and living by every word of God, and the Lord will soon say unto him, Son, thou shalt be exalted. When the Lord has thoroughly proved him and finds that the man is determined to serve him at all hazards, then the man will find his calling and his election made sure, then it will be his privilege to receive the other Comforter. . . ." (DHC 3, 380.)

Elder S. Dilworth Young, Conference Report, October 1963, Afternoon Meeting, p.69

I call to your attention the words "he finds that a man is determined to serve him at all hazards." That is the word, and that is what we need today-determination-voluntary determination to serve him at all hazards. This is the lost word which is not lost, but which many of us have not known.

Elder S. Dilworth Young, Conference Report, October 1963, Afternoon Meeting, p.69

This involves a man in his higher nature, too, in the realm of his free agency to do as he will.

Tom

When I learned of it, it was in institute. The instructor made a reference to "calling and election made sure". That would explain why it isn't spoken of often and why we don't hear about it. The instructor also mentioned that this was performed to some saints before they left Nauvoo.

I can't quote or offer any reference for the above.

When I learned of it, it was in institute. The instructor made a reference to "calling and election made sure". That would explain why it isn't spoken of often and why we don't hear about it. The instructor also mentioned that this was performed to some saints before they left Nauvoo.

I can't quote or offer any reference for the above.

A few years ago a man told my cousin that he was present when my grandfather had his calling and election made sure. It was long after my grandpa had died. I wonder if he went through a temple ordinance related to it. He never told anyone. My mom said she never knew until this man told my cousin what he had witnessed.

According to the early records, the 2nd Anointing occurred during the original endowment that Joseph Smith first formed (it was over 6 hours long).

Today, All endowed members received the first anointing during the Washing and Anointing. The 2nd Anointing is not done at this time, as it is expected to be performed later for members when the Lord determines they are ready for it. Many will await the next life before receiving this ordinance. The current endowment does mention that worthy members will receive this 2nd anointing later, as they are currently only anointed with the first anointing.

I have it on hearsay (but very good hearsay) that the 2nd Anointing was being done at least as recently as the mid-nineties. Not sure if it's still being done.

Technically, it is incorrect to call it a "Second Endowment". The Endowment precedes (or should precede) an endowment of power from the Spirit. The Second Anointing is received preparatory to having one's calling and election made sure, which according to Joseph Smith entails a personal visitation from Jesus Christ. See Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 150.

David Buerger wrote an article about it in Dialogue some years back. I don't think he really wrote anything he shouldn't have, but it nevertheless was enough to get him barred from Church Archives.

I have it on hearsay (but very good hearsay) that the 2nd Anointing was being done at least as recently as the mid-nineties. Not sure if it's still being done.

Heber J. Grant pretty well stopped the 2nd anointing during his presidency, in an effort to stop polygamy in the Church. Later during President Kimball's time, the 2nd anointing was made more available to the general membership of the Church, roughly about the same time that the privilege of prayer circles was withdrawn from the Church.

Stake Presidents have the option of referring/recommending members to the First Presidency for "special temple blessings", and have guidelines for determining proper candidates. I don't know if the candidates must request the blessings or not.

HiJolly

A few years ago a man told my cousin that he was present when my grandfather had his calling and election made sure. It was long after my grandpa had died. I wonder if he went through a temple ordinance related to it. He never told anyone. My mom said she never knew until this man told my cousin what he had witnessed.

This only comes by the Holy Ghost in presenting those before the Lord whom are readied to receive it. Yes! I do hear what is given within the thread, however in ministering a ordinance without the Holy Ghost approval may have eternal repercussion.

Many in the past had this endowment done but I am leary on why it was performed in some cases noting my statement on the Holy Ghost role in this ordinance. Perhaps, there is a reason why is not being done today due to what I am stating.

Further diary reads in the past illustrates that Ram already stated, where the Second Anointing was being performed.

By the end of the summer, the building was enclosed. In the completed attic, Truman and Polly, among others, "received our Endowments and afterward our Sealing and second annointings, which far excelled any previous enjoyments of my life up to that time." 35 While the attic was in use throughout the fall and winter, construction continued on the lower rooms and basement. Two days after Christmas, Angell wrote to President Brigham Young on behalf of the workers on the temple, requesting the President's assistance in getting firewood for them. "There is a great deal of suffering among us at this time for the want of fuel." Angell suggested a general "Church Bee" to haul wood to the temple. Truman O. Angell to Brigham Young, 27 December 1845.

Julia Pack, Autobiography, Our Pioneer Heritage,

October 5, 1845, our second daughter, Julia, was born. December 1845 we received our ordinances in the Nauvoo temple and our second annointings, Parley Pratt officiating. My husband and I worked in the temple some time after. On the 8th of February 1846 we left Nauvoo, crossed the Mississippi River and camped on Sugar Creek with many of our brothers and sisters who had left Nauvoo about that time. We had no shelter but our wagons in the dead of winter. We stayed there until the first day of March.

"It is one thing to be on the mount and hear the excellent voice, etc., and another to hear the voice declare to you, You have a part and lot in that kingdom." (HC5:403)

Looking at the Prophet's writings, he gave it at the end of a long sermon, in which he has been urging the people of his day to make their calling and their election sure. He himself had made his calling and election sure.

The Lord said to the Prophet Joseph Smith on one occasion,

"For I am the Lord thy God, and will be with thee even unto the end of the world, and through all eternity; for verily I seal upon you your exaltation, and prepare a throne for you in the kingdom of my Father, with Abraham your Father." (D&C 132:49)

And then the Lord specifies in the next sentence the conditions that brought that great blessing to the Prophet Joseph.

"Behold, I have seen your sacrifices, and will forgive all your sins; I have seen your sacrifices in obedience to that which I have told you." (D&C 132:50)

He gave that same witness to Heber C. Kimball. I suppose that a man who had that witness would be enjoying the more sure word of prophecy, which the Prophet defines as

". . . a man's knowing that he is sealed up unto eternal life, by revelation and the spirit of prophecy, through the power of the Holy Priesthood." (D&C 131:5) CR April, 1954

For a few members of the church, if you have your PB, it should have bits and pieces on what the prophet relates in receiving 'the sure word'.

Contend earnestly for the like precious faith with the Apostle Peter, "and add to your faith virtue," knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, charity; "for if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." Another point, after having all these qualifications, he lays this injunction upon the people "to make your calling and election sure." He is emphatic upon this subject-after adding all this virtue, knowledge, &c., "Make your calling and election sure." What is the secret-the starting point? "According as His divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness." How did he obtain all things? Through the knowledge of Him who hath called him. There could not anything be given, pertaining to life and godliness, without knowledge. . . . Salvation is for a man to be saved from all his enemies; for until a man can triumph over death, he is not saved. A knowledge of the priesthood alone will do this. . . .

We have no claim in our eternal compact, in relation to eternal things, unless our actions and contracts and all things tend to this end. But after all this, you have got to make your calling and election sure. If this injunction would lie largely on those to whom it was spoken, how much more those of the present generation

1st key: Knowledge is the power of salvation. 2nd key: Make your calling and election sure. 3rd key: It is one thing to be on the mount and hear the excellent voice. &c., &c., and another to hear the voice declare to you, You have a part and lot in that kingdom. (Discourse Sunday, May 21, 1842 in Kirtland Temple) HC5:402-3

Unless you have met these three keys, then I would keep working on that which can be granted to anyone who the Holy Ghost feels is ready. ;)

Nope, never heard of it. Is it a sacred temple ordinance- i.e., should we not talk about it?

There was a good discussion about this on the Mormon Discussions website not very long ago. Many who were very knowledgable about this affirmed its existance and talked about who was eligible and the nomination process. It is best however to go get into specifics of this ceremony so as to preserve its sacredness.