Mutual activity ideas?

Gretchen

Hmm I know for a summer activity, we got the volleyball nets adn took them outside in the grass. Then we played Water ballon volleyball! Each person pairs up with someone else and they each take one side of a towel. Stick the balloon on the towel and launch!! Multiple pairs are on each side though of course. Then we spent like 10 minutes cleaning up the popped balloons haha. It was fun.

As for the colder weather, we had a girls night!!! We had a girl that was a hair dresser from the ward come and teach us fun things to do with our hair like "teasing" and how to do it certain ways and hair care. And then we were taught how to put on face masks and had nail polish and all kinds of stuff! It was really fun we all wore pajamas and did the cucumber stuff. All kinds. It was great!

Ooo I thought of another one. This was one of those combined ones with the young men. Each group (deacons,beehives,miamaids, ect..) made their own skit video. Kind of like a Saturday Night Live thing. We could do whatever we wanted (leadership approved though) and then we all got together the next week in the gym with popcorn and pulled the projector out and watched all the skits!! The leaders previously made little tin foil trophy's and picked categories to hand out winners for. Best stunt, wittiest line, ect.

• 3 months later...

aerobics or dance?

one time we got a bunch of little kids in the ward and had told the parents to juss go on a date and we babysat them. we played games with them. it was easy and fun :)

another time we had a teaching talent show. everyone came and i think it was a joint all the girls activity. well anyways we paired up in groups of 2 and taught each other one of our talents and then the last 10-15 mins of the activity we put on a talent show with the talents we juss learned. talents included viola piano basketball

When I was in the YW's presidency we did a "Newlyweds" type game during either Mother's Day or Father's Day. The girls could come with any relative they wanted (Mom, aunt, or sister/Dad, grandpa, or uncle, etc.) somebody that they were close to. Then we would divide the girls from their family members and have them answer questions about eachother: "Where did your mom go to college" "What did your dad want to be when he grew up?" "What is your daughter's favorite food?" things like that, then we brought them back together and they had to see if they answered the questions right, and they got points for each correct answer. It was our most popular activity of the year, and the girls always had a blast.

I missed out on Mutual (baptized at 24), but currently co-ordinate a multi-ward youth service project. Three wards in my stake rotate having their YM/YW go to a local nursing home once a month to participate in activities with the residents. Everyone enjoys it, kids and seniors.

Fun and games are great, but wouldn't service projects be good too? ;)

Ice Cream social?

Someone already mentioned bowling, but if you do, make sure you mix up the teams, especially in cliquish wards.

Mini Golf?

How about Croquet?

Scavenger hunt in a park. Have clues taped to trees and such. You could also tie clues to scripture verses.

How about taking the kids to a soup kitchen, DI or stake cannery and show them how that's all done.

How about a gardening party at the church. They can pick out their own flowers and such, and plant a garden. Maybe even do a vegetable garden and have then tend it until they get a crop.

Edited by bytebear

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My ward has also done this but along with the return missionarys telling about their missions we also had them bring like a type of food they had on their mission... it was cool to try differernt foods and learn about different places and all

i thought of another one my ward did. we got a bunch of old people, okay not really old, older than me (im 15) anywho... they each got to set up a booth and decorate it and tell about their individual missions. it was neato frito to learn about it.

My ward had some great mutual activities.

We played Battleship with the volleyball net. The adults hung sheets on the net so that the teams couldn't see each other. Then everyone sat down or lay down. The adults would then ask questions about the BOM, etc and whoever got it right got 3 tennis balls, which they would toss over the net to try and hit the other team. After that game was over, we played volleyball with the sheets still on. It was really fun.

We had Iron Chef. The boys were on one team and the girls were on the other. We'd receive a recipe (ex. creampuffs) and then after we had made the food the adults would judge it and declare a winner.

The girls made/decorated recipe books with dividers and everything. (a lot like scrapbooking)

Some Ideas: Find women in the Ward that have a certain skill like sewing, scrapbooking, cooking/baking, gardening, or really anything, and have them come teach the young women. The same could be done with the young men. (Woodwork, wilderness survival, etc) Maybe have a "Teaching Activity" once a month. This would be great for reaching out to inactive adults if they know how to do something interesting.

Our YW also went on walks sometimes. They would go to the local school and walk around on the track and around the fields.

Edited by aclaire11
More Info

Speaking of teaching activities, why not give the young men cooking lessons or teach young women to do minor basic repairs? You know, the kinds of life skills both sexes need. ;)

I understand my BIL was very popular with missionary companions because he's a pretty good cook. :D

Edited by Seanette
minor wording tweak