Mutual activity ideas?

Gretchen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ever seen "Amazing Race"?

Pair up YM/YW. Have them travel, by various methods, to other members' houses. (this requires prior coordination and enlistment of those members).

Use the same themes, such as road blocks and detours (a road-block is something only one team member can complete, a detour provides a choice of two tasks that the team may choose to complete.)

An example road-block could be have the YW demonstrate how to tie a Neck-Tie. Have the YM prepare and bake a pan of brownies or cookies. (Ok, in the race, the team chooses who completes the task. In this case, you could specify who had to complete them.)

An example detour may be to watch or collect. Spend time watching a designated Fireside talk or some other useful video that takes a while....or......collect a pre-determined amount of canned food donations from neighbors in the area (scavenger hunt style). The team chooses which task to complete.

End at a predetermined location. Enjoy any goodies you created along the way. Collect canned goods for donation to food stores/church welfare.

Use your imagination for any deviations. Possibilities are endless. It could also be a continuing competition. Teams finishing first get a slight head-start next time.

It could be time-consuming. Plan carefully.

I know a group around where I used to work did a service scavenger hunt. They had to do things like rake leaves for someone, buy and give a candy bar to a stranger, etc etc. But they had to take a picture of the person they provided the service for and they ended doing a scrapbook with it. It was a combined YM/YW activity. It was fun..I got a couple of candy bars..they came into the store I was working in..purchased the candy bar and then gave it to me since they didn't know me. So somewhere a picture of me is in a YM/YW scrapbook. haha

Guest mormonmusic

Turn the cultural hall into a mini golf course. Each hole is a circular piece of paper, and the ball has to simply cross over the paper to be considered "sunk". Use hockey sticks or whatever people can find at home as golf clubs. Use practice golf balls that are for indoors, with holes all through them, or even ping pong balls. Each youth is responsible for designing a hole using cardboard boxes with holes in them, pieces of wood as side walls and ramps, etcetera. You can even just use chairs in the cultural hall as barriers to create challenge to the hole.

Invite a martial arts instructor from a local dojo to teach the young men and women self-defence techniques. They love that one. The martial arts instructors like to do it because they feel they are promoting their business (gotta tread easy on that one, though, because the church doesn't like you promoting businesses in it).

Find a wooded park and play capture the flag.

Have a night where all the members are invited to bring their cars to the chapel and the youth vacuum them out and clean them. I found attendance dropped on this one, with only the really spiritual youth attending, but I got some of the less spiritual youth barbqueing for all the hardworking youth on car detail at the end.

Set up a treasure hunt that has clues from the scriptures, with prizes at the end for everyone.

Make tie dye t-shirts....

Go on a bike hike and then at a key resting point, pull out some cool refereshments for everyone.