What Is The Church Doing To Help?

Amillia

Originally posted by curvette+Jan 6 2005, 11:51 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Jan 6 2005, 11:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Traveler@Jan 5 2005, 10:44 PM

I was told that because of LDS help that the LDS church is the only non Islamic religion legal in Sauda Arabia.

Do you believe that? This must be within the last week. Islam is the official religion of Saudi Arabia. All citizen must be Muslims. Conversion to another religion is punishable by death.

This was told to me by a devout Muslim from Bahrain. Bahrain has close ties to Saudi Arabia and like Saudi Arabia is mostly Shiite and is ruled by Sunni.

The Traveler

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Traveler+Jan 7 2005, 03:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Traveler @ Jan 7 2005, 03:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -curvette@Jan 6 2005, 11:51 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--Traveler@Jan 5 2005, 10:44 PM

I was told that because of LDS help that the LDS church is the only non Islamic religion legal in Sauda Arabia.

Do you believe that? This must be within the last week. Islam is the official religion of Saudi Arabia. All citizen must be Muslims. Conversion to another religion is punishable by death.

This was told to me by a devout Muslim from Bahrain. Bahrain has close ties to Saudi Arabia and like Saudi Arabia is mostly Shiite and is ruled by Sunni.

The Traveler

Sounds like your devote Muslim friend is a misinformed apologist for the LDS Church.

LDS membership in Saudi Arabia = 0

http://www.cumorah.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi?view...ry=saudi+arabia

It's not listed in the 2004 Church Almanac now is there an "Area" assigned to it.

Originally posted by Snow+Jan 7 2005, 09:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Jan 7 2005, 09:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Traveler@Jan 7 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by -curvette@Jan 6 2005, 11:51 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--Traveler@Jan 5 2005, 10:44 PM

The Traveler

Sounds like your devote Muslim friend is a misinformed apologist for the LDS Church.

LDS membership in Saudi Arabia = 0

http://www.cumorah.com/cgi-bin/db.cgi?view...ry=saudi+arabia

It's not listed in the 2004 Church Almanac now is there an "Area" assigned to it.

Sounds like we need to send you over there to get things started... B)

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Traveler@Jan 7 2005, 04:40 PM

The Traveler

It simply makes no sense. These governments don't believe in freedom of religion. We are infidels. We are the enemy. The Saudi's will tolerate Americans as long as economic relations with us benefit them, but they aren't going to let us take their citizens to hel! with us!

Originally posted by Traveler+Jan 5 2005, 09:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Traveler @ Jan 5 2005, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Snow@Jan 5 2005, 05:42 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Traveler@Jan 5 2005, 04:08 PM

An investigative reporter for a local SLC radio station (KNRS – Bob Launsburry) reported that the voluntary LDS contributions gathered during a fast effort (Sunday) by the LDS is the largest single private contributor and exceeds even that of all other countries except for the USA.  He also announced that some of the money coming from the USA will be distributed by the LDS to avoid being lost in government agencies. 

The Traveler

What more can you tell us about that?

I heard from the EQ Pres that the Church's contribution was, well - an extremely large number, a number that seemed to big to be believed. However if what you say is so then it may have been accurate. Do you have a link or source or know something else?

There might be a link on the KNRS site. I heard Bob on his morning show. Sorry I could not be better help but the church does not seem anxious to publish numbers. I have talked to Aribric people that know the LDS church just from help donated to Aribic countries. I was told that because of LDS help that the LDS church is the only non Islamic religion legal in Sauda Arabia.

Also do not give all the credit to church leadership. The amount was donated by the members as part of a special fast. The amount comes from the heart of the people.

The Traveler

"      The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not releasing dollar figures regarding donations or aid it has collected to help tsunami victims, but spokesperson Dale Bills says contributions have been "significant."

In a statement released Friday, the church said in part: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which has already provided emergency supplies in southern Asia for short-term relief, is now evaluating how to help tsunami victims rebuild their lives and communities in the months and years to come. Church representatives are working closely with government officials in the affected countries, assessing how the church should best direct its humanitarian resources."

The church said members and friends may continue to make donations online at www.lds.org/humanitarian or by mailing them to: Humanitarian Aid Fund, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 50 East North Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84150 (or call 801-240-3544)."

When I read the list of what countries have donated the most money, a few days ago, I saw that Australia, Germany, and Japan all have given substantially more than the United States has. It should not be this way. No country in the world can provide more financial aid more than the US can. We wonder why the world has a beef against us. Could it be that we are indeed a greedy nation? I certainly have my curiosities about various companies and organizations who are refusing to say how much they have given? What do they have to hide?

I personally believe those of us who have been blessed with a lot have a responsibility as human beings to give back. If we don't, what makes us different than the animals?

Interesting that this is being compared to 9/11. The death toll here is 50 times larger than 9/11 and could jump to only God knows how many people.

Originally posted by Tr2@Jan 9 2005, 11:58 AM

When I read the list of what countries have donated the most money, a few days ago, I saw that Australia, Germany, and Japan all have given substantially more than the United States has. It should not be this way. No country in the world can provide more financial aid more than the US can. We wonder why the world has a beef against us. Could it be that we are indeed a greedy nation? I certainly have my curiosities about various companies and organizations who are refusing to say how much they have given? What do they have to hide?

This is what we in the industry refer to fondly as bone-headed thinking. The US has pledged, what $350 million SO FAR, in addtion to the aid being provided by the US military. While countries like Canada say, here - let me cut you a check and Mexico sends 2 firemen to help, the US is the only country on earth that can and did mobilize a world Navy to get not cash, but water, food, and supplies and equipment to those who needed it; this while the UN is fumbling around and failing to provide coordination to get that which is need to those that need it when they need it - a task the US military could easily do and would if it weren't for the need to be politically correct and the ill-guided sensitivities of countries that don't want any part of the one organization that could do the job.

And while you are complaining that the US hasn't given enough, Canada has given what? Half of what the USA is giving SO FAR excluding the non-financial support it is giving through the military - to say nothing of the US people individually. The US recognizes that the UN is all about padding the budget of the UN and Trident buys their argument.

It is a safe bet that the Church and members are giving more than Canada but yet a Canadian knows how much another country should be giving. Wonder what country gives more in humanitarian relief than any other country? Is there any doubt? Yet unless the US gives more to this particular disaster, they aren't doing their part.

Gosh it's geasy to talk about what the other guy ought to be doing, and ignore yourself.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Tr2@Jan 9 2005, 12:58 PM

I saw that Australia, Germany, and Japan all have given substantially more than the United States has.

Pledged. The word is "pledged." I think it's perfectly appropriate for Japan to give a substantial sum towards this. Think of all the money they save from having no military. They can afford it.

trident is a canadian navy seal?   

the statements made my Tr2 have totaly disproven him as a SEAL. Because we more than most see just how involved the US govt. is.

Poor Tr2...gave him enough rope and he just hanged himself.

Somebody please be kind enough to educate this arrogant young lad, he is boring me.

Originally posted by Tr2@Jan 10 2005, 03:25 AM

Somebody please be kind enough to educate this arrogant young lad, he is boring me.

why are you looking around? Nobody's gonna help you. I'm gonna refer to you from now on as Mrs. Wanna-be.

Nice legs Mrs Wanna-be! U get those in such awsome shape from beach runs at the strand?

Originally posted by Tr2@Jan 9 2005, 01:58 PM

I personally believe those of us who have been blessed with a lot have a responsibility as human beings to give back. If we don't, what makes us different than the animals?

Interesting that this is being compared to 9/11. The death toll here is 50 times larger than 9/11 and could jump to only God knows how many people.

This would imply that you are unaware of how much US equipment and personnel are over there already. It's not just money. ;)

why are you looking around? Nobody's gonna help you. I'm gonna refer to you from now on as Mrs. Wanna-be.

Nice legs Mrs Wanna-be! U get those in such awsome shape from beach runs at the strand?

Ok big shot. You did make me laugh so you get points for effort.

If you had bothered to go through that process called thinking, you may have realized or remembered that I am an American citizen currently living in Canada.

This would imply that you are unaware of how much US equipment and personnel are over there already. It's not just money. 

I know the US has done quite a bit thus far. But if we compare our resources to what other nations have, will our contributions be proportionate? We spend 3.8 billion dollars on McDonald's food... do you think we'll ever spend that much helping other people?

Originally posted by Tr2@Jan 10 2005, 09:24 PM

I know the US has done quite a bit thus far. But if we compare our resources to what other nations have, will our contributions be proportionate? We spend 3.8 billion dollars on McDonald's food... do you think we'll ever spend that much helping other people?

How can any of us be responsible for the money given by the US? I am an American Citizen and I have donated money to this cause. I can only be responsible for what I do.

Originally posted by Tr2@Jan 10 2005, 09:24 PM

More so I believe, when you account for the manpower, supplies and equipment we've sent.

Citizens will donate what they want to, and we can't force them to do otherwise.

Originally posted by Outshined+Jan 11 2005, 04:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Outshined @ Jan 11 2005, 04:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Tr2@Jan 10 2005, 09:24 PM

More so I believe, when you account for the manpower, supplies and equipment we've sent.

Citizens will donate what they want to, and we can't force them to do otherwise.

Know This, That Every Soul Is Free

1. Know this, that ev’ry soul is free

To choose his life and what he’ll be;

For this eternal truth is giv’n:

That God will force no man to heav’n.

2. He’ll call, persuade, direct aright,

And bless with wisdom, love, and light,

In nameless ways be good and kind,

But never force the human mind.

3. Freedom and reason make us men;

Take these away, what are we then?

Mere animals, and just as well

The beasts may think of heav’n or hell.

4. May we no more our pow’rs abuse,

But ways of truth and goodness choose;

Our God is pleased when we improve

His grace and seek his perfect love.

Guest GOD'S ARMY

In light of the Indonesian government asking us to leave within the next three months, the sooner the better, I say stop squabbling over US contributions and start asking what is wrong with these people?

By the way, our government does not need to throw money at global crisis. Look into how much the people of the United States have given through the private sector and our nonprofit groups.