Haven't seen thread for this yet. Tolkien fans?

yenni

Present and accounted for! I first read Tolkein back in middle-school in the '80's. Tolkein gave birth to my love of epics - especially those involving important struggles of good vs. evil with everything on the line. I would of a day when technology would advance to the point where someone could make a movie about the trilogy - complete with ten thousand orcs storming Minas Tirinth. Peter Jackson didn't dissapoint.

I'm currently reading The Hobbit to my two girls for our nightly book.

It's a good thing Rowling had Tolkein to read - otherwise her Harry Potter books would have been a lot more boring! Same for Gary Gygaxx.

LM

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I have watched the Lord Of The Ring movies many times and have the first and last shows on DVD.

I know I've read the Hobbit and hope they get the movie about it done soon.

I don't remember if I read the LoTR books or not, probably not. I do own a thick book that has all three in it but just haven't gotten around to reading them. I like the movies too much I guess.

Present!

If you like LotR, chances are you'll like all the books about Drizzt Do'Urden (Dark Elf Trilogy, Forgotten Realms Trilogy, Legend of the Drow Quadrilogy - is that even a word?, and everything else that followed).

Peter Jackson brought the books to life in the most magnificent way possible. Loved the movies too!

Yenni, Being a Lord of the Rings fan if you haven't already, you should check out The Arthurian Saga written by Mary Stewart.

By: Mary Stewart

The Crystal Cave (The Arthurian Saga, Book 1)

The Hollow Hills (The Arthurian Saga, Book 2)

The Last Enchantment (The Arthurian Saga, Book 3)

The Wicked Day (The Arthurian Saga, Book 4)

Also another series that is very excellent are the Prydain Chronicles.

(The Horned King, The Black Cauldron, etc...)

Another fun one is the Sword of Shannara series.

I LOVED those Balckmarch, some of my earliest forrays into the realm of fantasy.

Also good is The Mallorean and the Belgariard (both are book series three books long) by David and Leigh Eddings and The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Interesting side note about the The Wheel of Time: The author was unable to finish the series, sadly he was killed by a rare blood disease, however, it is being finished by a Brandon Sanderson, and LDS author and BYU creative writing instructor.

These two books are a Duology and are fantastic. Please look them up.

Wolfskin By: Juliet Marillier

The clash of cultures and the limits of loyalty form the thematic framework of Marillier's compelling new stand-alone fantasy. Readers familiar with the author's Sevenwaters trilogy (Daughter of the Forest, etc.) will feel comfortable with the Dark Ages setting. Young Viking Eyvind dreams of serving the god Thor and the nobleman Ulf as an elite Wolfskin warrior. While training, he's charged with teaching Ulf's prickly younger brother Somerled, and the two become blood brothers, swearing lifelong loyalty. But the oath isn't enough to quiet suspicions about Somerled's ambitions to become a king and the means he might take to accomplish them. The two join Ulf on a voyage to a legendary land, "a place of warm sea currents, of verdant islands and sheltered waterways," home to the peaceful Folk of the Light Islands, ruled by King Engus. Though Engus extends a hand of friendship to the sea rovers, his niece, the young priestess Nessa, has her doubts about the warlike newcomers. When a foreign fever decimates the Folk but leaves the seafarers untouched, the truce begins to unravel. A multilayered plot, intriguing characters and lyrical prose distinguish a novel that, long as it is, never feels padded.

Foxmask By: Juliet Marillier

In this captivating historical fantasy, the sequel to Wolfskin (2003), Australian author Marillier sweeps the reader to Dark Age Britain's northernmost islands, where life is hard and opportunistic raiders have forced change on the peace-loving, magic-believing inhabitants. When 18-year-old Thorvald reads a letter from his unknown true father, Somerled, his world collapses. Somerled was exiled forever after slaying his chieftain brother, Ulf. Fearing that he may be subject to the same curse that afflicted his father ("I'm the son of some evil madman, a crazed killer"), Thorvald decides to search for the disgraced Somerled. He persuades his friend Sam the fisherman to transport him by boat to the island where he believes his father to be. Unbeknownst to both Sam and Thorvald, a young woman, Creidhe, stows away on the boat. Creidhe becomes a key player in the stirring events that unfold when they reach the Northern Isles.

I LOVED those Balckmarch, some of my earliest forrays into the realm of fantasy.

Also good is The Mallorean and the Belgariard (both are book series three books long) by David and Leigh Eddings and The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Interesting side note about the The Wheel of Time: The author was unable to finish the series, sadly he was killed by a rare blood disease, however, it is being finished by a Brandon Sanderson, and LDS author and BYU creative writing instructor.

hehe. yup I'm trying to steel myself to have another dive at em... it was a loong series before he died, and I had read up to that point. now i need to to finish it sometime.

I read The Hobbit in elementary school and the Lord of the Rings in jr. high. Silmarillon sometime after that. Love 'em.

For the other books... I tried Wheel of Time, read the first four... but wasn't all that impressed (hides). I loved Mistborn, The Name of the Wind, and most of Robin Hobb's stuff.