Whats so wrong with christian music???

Tru2u4eternity

I love music and I strive hard to listen to clean uplifting music. Its something that is very important to me. Alot of the musid I listen to is Christian music. Uplifting music that is by musicians who are not LDS generally. I've had alot of member tell me I shouldn't listen to it because its 'apostate' but I completely disagree! Its unfair to call it 'apostate' cause these people don't even know what the apostasy is! I've come across some amazing songs that really have incredible messages...why should I disregard what they have to say simply because they don't know the whole story? Alot of the times I find they write songs about things they don't even fully understand things that so strongly apply to the gospel. I embrace it and I've been told I really shouldn't. What do you guys think? I would really like to know your thoughts and feelings about this.

I like to listen to Christian music also. After all, I 'm a Christian!

When I'm listening, it sounds strange, disrespectful when they don't say Thou when speaking directly to HEavenly Father and Jesus. Some of the songs do sing about false doctrine, but for the most part, they speak of truth. Some of the newer music performed by younger musicians is a little hard for me, and I don't see how it could invite the Spirit, but, I just turn it when that happens.

I know those who's testimony is young shouldn't listen to lessons or doctrine of "born again" preachers as it can lead them down the wrong path. And of course I do believe that I am (have been) born again as the scriptures describe it because we as members of the church are born again into a new person. WE just use a different vocabulary , we are converted.

I used to listed to Jars of Clay, Five Iron Frenzy, and MxPx regularly when I was younger, all Christian bands. MxPx is debatable, but they were Christians that formed a band and got sold in the standard Christian book stores, so that's close enough for me.

The problems do come from hat you have stated. They don't know the whole story, and have an incomplete truth. In some areas, they are just plain wrong as a result of this. You could stick with LDS artists, but I've found the selection to be limited (I do live in the UK however). Or you could get in to death metal, or explicit R&B, etc.

I love music and I strive hard to listen to clean uplifting music. Its something that is very important to me. Alot of the music I listen to is Christian music. Uplifting music that is by musicians who are not LDS generally. I've had alot of member tell me I shouldn't listen to it because its 'apostate' but I completely disagree! Its unfair to call it 'apostate' cause these people don't even know what the apostasy is! I've come across some amazing songs that really have incredible messages...why should I disregard what they have to say simply because they don't know the whole story? Alot of the times I find they write songs about things they don't even fully understand things that so strongly apply to the gospel. I embrace it and I've been told I really shouldn't. What do you guys think? I would really like to know your thoughts and feelings about this.

What's wrong with the music? Not a thing. Very good stuff. At the most basic level, the gospel as they know it isn't any different from the gospel as we know it. It's at the basic level: Faith in Christ, Repentance, the Atonement of Christ and our total reliance upon it to become clean, the fact that God is all-powerful, having a personal relationship with God and Christ, etc. It's all good things at that point.

One piece that is annoying. I was disappointed to learn that several of the Christian Rock Artists that I had come to admire were very outspoken against the LDS Church. So I guess that what it comes down to is this: You can enjoy the music and the positive messages, but many of the artists view you're religion and beliefs with nothing but contempt. Sort of makes it awkward to become TOO big of a fan.

For my part, I've been trying to hang onto the Spirit more in my life. Much of the typical everyday popular music is either spiritually neutral at best, and most of it drives the Spirit away. Christian Music doesn't. So my wife and I have found that we just leave the car radio tuned into the Christian Rock station. As my wife puts it, "Some of its a bit cheesy, but so is the mainstream stuff." It's also interesting to listen to because you begin to learn their vocabulary for things and understand their treasured beliefs. They are singing about good things. I don't see a problem with listening to their music.

The majority of Christian rock music is so vague it could really apply to any judeo-christian denomination, trinitarian or not.

I don't see a single thing wrong with Christian music. The only fault I see is that the LDS community has failed to produce an artist or band for their own brand of contemporary praise music.

I place emphasis on the word contemporary, I can't stand that choir stuff.

I think it is an issue of doctrine. But I think some people over react. I suppose that happens in LDS and Christian culture as we try to protect ourselves and our kids.

Listen to what uplifts you. Follow the spirit as you filter the message into your heart and don't feel guilty about appreciating what IS there.

The majority of Christian rock music is so vague it could really apply to any judeo-christian denomination, trinitarian or not.

I don't see a single thing wrong with Christian music. The only fault I see is that the LDS community has failed to produce an artist or band for their own brand of contemporary praise music.

I place emphasis on the word contemporary, I can't stand that choir stuff.

It isn't in the cards. Protestant children are encouraged to learn bass, drums, and guitar so they can play in the church band on Sunday. Mormon children are encouraged to learn piano so they can play hymns at church.

As to the original question whats wrong with Christan music. It is "too soft" to rock and "too hard" to be reverent. IMO :cool:

But if you like then listen to it.

if there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy...

Just because someone or something doesn't have the FULL gospel doesn't make them/it unworthy of our attention.

As for them being anti - how many fervent christians out there are adamantly against us? What was it the Lord said about how we should treat those that hurt and despitefully use us???

And, so as to minimize hypocrisy here - if we only follow and support those that actually LIKE us, I don't know that there'd be anyone in Hollywood left to see on the silver screen, seeing as how we're the spawn of Satan to most of the celebrities in CA.

That which inspires is of God. Plain and simple.

Yes they can be anti. I've seen it before and its hurtful. My favorite band ever is BarlowGirl. They are christian and seriously I wish they could get a b.o.m or somethings cause they are so LDS in the way that they dress,talk,carry themselves,and the incredible songs they write! If they went all anti it would break m y heart!!!

I used to go "into the enemy's camp" and post on a countercult reachout forum run by people who made their living by publishing antimormon books. I was actually able to foster some feelings of friendship when I accepted one guy's offer of some free Christian worship music. It was stuff he personally listened to, not stuff intended to 'help me leave the cult' or whatever.

It was good stuff. I couldn't find anything in any of the songs that I disagreed with. I let my kids listen to it, and they danced to it. It wasn't quite my cup of tea, as it all seemed so repetitive, but the basic one note that was repeated over and over again a thousand different ways was that Christ is our Savior. One guy wanted to float in the sea of His love. The next singer's only desire was to sing His name through eternity. The other guy just wanted to be close to His spirit. Over and over and over. But there wasn't really anything bad about any of it.

LM

I love music and I strive hard to listen to clean uplifting music. Its something that is very important to me. Alot of the musid I listen to is Christian music. Uplifting music that is by musicians who are not LDS generally. I've had alot of member tell me I shouldn't listen to it because its 'apostate' but I completely disagree! Its unfair to call it 'apostate' cause these people don't even know what the apostasy is! I've come across some amazing songs that really have incredible messages...why should I disregard what they have to say simply because they don't know the whole story? Alot of the times I find they write songs about things they don't even fully understand things that so strongly apply to the gospel. I embrace it and I've been told I really shouldn't. What do you guys think? I would really like to know your thoughts and feelings about this.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with Christian music. There are Christian metal bands, some of which are persecuted by their metal peers for being Christian. Yes, really. One of my favs is "To Hell with the Devil" by Stryper. In fact that album remaines the best-selling Christian metal album of all time. Yes, it's that good.

There are other bands, not necessarily Christian, whose songs will fill me with the Spirit.

I will name a few. The first three I am giving you videos because these where how I was first introduced to those songs and the Spirit's impact was enormous for the first two. The third one the Spirit was testifying to me about the artist's quest for truth and enlightenment. The last two were very powerful as well, but did not accompany videos.

Let Go by Frou Frou

See Who I Am by Within Temptation

YouTube - Falling Dreams - Kingdom Hearts

Aurora by Origa

Here is the English translation (scroll down)

Origa - Aurora - Lyrics from LyricWiki

What I've Done by Linkin Park

audio music tracks on Project Playlist | Music Playlist || Facebook, Tagworld, Stickam, Hi5, Friendster, Infieldparking.com, Xanga, Myspace Music Playlists

(click on the first one)

Midnight In A Perfect World (Gift of Gab Mix) by DJ Shadow

Though with this one there are couple of lines where I don't feel the Spirit so much because it's not doctrinal. Here are a few lines that particularly strike me with truth. "And all you had to do was live today for your tomorrow. But now it's over and you're drowning deep inside your sorrow . . . So just don't say you gave it all if you ain't gave it all . . . No more time I tried to warn you all it's now approaching midnight"

I can't seem to find the Gift of Gab Mix for you to listen to, though there is the original version on the album Endtroducing you can find. It's very good.

Here are the lyrics however for your reading pleasure to the Gift of Gab mix of Midnight in A Perfect World. DJ Shadow - Midnight In A Perfect World (Gift Of Gab Mix) Lyrics

There will always be extremists in every group. Ignore them.

I hope this helps.

I'm not sure that this comment will add to the debate, but these were the sort of discussions going on within evangelical churches back in the 1980s. There were crazy "urban legends," some older folks told of a missionary playing some contemporary Christian music to a tribal elder in Africa, and how he supposedly asked why the musicians were calling demons. My guess is that someone made that up as conjecture, and it got passed around as gospel truth. How can band-A glorify God with "the devil's beat?" 'cept people were getting converted at their concerts.

Personally, I like praise and worship music. It's mostly geared for the 25-50 crowd, so I fit in. The heavier stuff isn't my cup of tea, but I praise God it blesses the 12-25 group. If the lyrics uplift, all good things are from God.

When it comes to doctrine, I find myself a bit concerned that Gentile Christian music gets red flags, but there seems to be a greater prominence of outright secular music that LDS folk listen to. Ironically, one of the least edifying songs for an LDS listener is one of our oldest Protestant hymns...Holy Holy Holy...God in three persons, blessed Trinity. And yet, some of our most modern music, because it is meant as direct praise, and so is simpler in content, is indeed doctrinally non-challenging.

Guest TheLutheran

. . . Protestant children are encouraged to learn bass, drums, and guitar so they can play in the church band on Sunday. Mormon children are encouraged to learn piano so they can play hymns at church. . . .

Our church has a beautiful pipe organ and a piano -- certainly no bass or drums -- and our children are not encouraged to rock out in the church band on Sunday -- there is no church band!! :bandrock: I do enjoy some contemporary Christian music but some I find a bit irreverent.

I have witnessed (on this site and in person) how frustrating it is for LDS members to combat misinformation about their faith and practices -- let's all be careful not to do the very same thing! :sunny:

Guest Godless

I must admit, I listen to a couple of Christian hardcore bands, even though I'm an atheist. I may not agree with all of the messages, but there's a lot of positivity in the lyrics that I find inspiring. If you feel the same way about less, um, brash Christian music, then more power to you.

There were LDS leaders in the 50's and 60's that warned against Rock 'n Roll as being the Devil's music. That was simply their own musical preferences coloring their judgment. They should have waited till Marilyn Manson came along, since I could agree with that! If Christian music brings you joy, then by all means listen to it.

I began realizing today how much I missed out on while LDS. I judged Christian things (music, preachers, etc) as not quite measuring up because they didn't have "the fullness of the gospel" and weren't in "the true church". Now I've come to realize how great it can be... most of the music is wonderful and they have such a passion for Jesus, and there are many great Christian ministers who sermons/talks have given me inspiration and helped me grow. I honestly don't seem the same passion in worship in the LDS church, in fact it seems many members look down on Christians who are totally in love with Jesus and aren't afraid to show it and talk about it.

I must admit, I listen to a couple of Christian hardcore bands, even though I'm an atheist. I may not agree with all of the messages, but there's a lot of positivity in the lyrics that I find inspiring. If you feel the same way about less, um, brash Christian music, then more power to you.

Have you heard the band "With Blood Comes Cleansing"? Awesome! I believe I have one of their songs on my profile ( should check it more often)

Our church has a beautiful pipe organ and a piano -- certainly no bass or drums -- and our children are not encouraged to rock out in the church band on Sunday -- there is no church band!! :bandrock: I do enjoy some contemporary Christian music but some I find a bit irreverent.

I have witnessed (on this site and in person) how frustrating it is for LDS members to combat misinformation about their faith and practices -- let's all be careful not to do the very same thing! :sunny:

obviously not all Protestant churches have this just like all LDS kids aren't learning piano. But when some Protestant churches have bands and zero LDS churches do you will have more Protestant/main stream Christian "rock bands" then LDS "rock bands". That was my point. No offense was intended.:rockon:

Guest Godless

Have you heard the band "With Blood Comes Cleansing"? Awesome! I believe I have one of their songs on my profile ( should check it more often)

Interesting stuff, though I must confess, I'm not much of a metal fan. Check out Our Corpse Destroyed on my playlist.