Whats so wrong with christian music???

Tru2u4eternity

Is it a coincidence that today I was asked to speak at a stake meeting on the importance or religious music in our lives? Guess I better not mention Slayer in my talk. Oops.

Slayer rocks:thrasher::coolrockon::rockon:

Them and GWAR got me out of rap "music". My father was so happy. Seriously.

• 3 months later...

I can't understand why your music would have to have the label of "Christian" to be uplifting for you? People nowadays, especially with music, get too hung up on categories. If the song has uplifting music and lyrics, who cares how it's labeled. As a matter of fact, one of my students who happens to be Evangelical told me that her church is now using the songs "I Wanna Know What Love Is" by Foreigner and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2 in their worship services!! How cool is that?!:) As a music instructor, I've had students bring in some of the latest death metal Christian music and to be quite honest, since I couldn't make out one word of it because it sounded like Cookie Monster with a microphone, how could one tell whether or not it was Christian? What, just because people call it that?:rolleyes: Big deal! Listen to U2's "The Joshua Tree" or almost any Collective Soul (guys who are Christian who play in a rock band, but are not 'Christian rock') if you want to hear some cool music along with some good, upstanding lyrics. Do your own research and when you look for a song, first - find a song that has lyrics that are "praiseworthy or of good report", then second - listen to the music and simply see if you like it. Be honest with yourself and don't force yourself to try and like something just because the lyrics may be good. Move on from it. You'll find many other songs where the two will connect. There's THOUSANDS out there, and they're not that hard to find if you really look. Listen to The Byrd's "Turn, Turn, Turn" or The Beatles "All You Need Is Love" or Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely" or Wonder/McCartney's "Ebony and Ivory" or Climax Blues Band's "I Love You" (which BTW, the press referred to this song as a 'hymn to monogamy'). Again, there's THOUSANDS. Throw away the stupid labels and go by what your heart and two ears tell you. Have fun.

Edited by Carl62

Changed, I realize you were being harsh to make a point, but imho your criticism is off-centered. If some of the Christian musicians are to be blamed it's for employing too much immodesty (to gain attention, admiring followers), and for trying too hard to be popular, rather than Christian. I've not heard or seen too many songs that convey self-righteousness or faux sincerity. In some cases, I might prefer that they err in that direction.

I personally dont listen to this music often, I can find some Christians songs that sound ok but im not a fan of the artist.. -- but if you like it go ahead and listen to it there´s nothing wrong with it , as long as its uplifting and not weird doctrine..

I dont know if is common in the US to listen to chrisitan music that is based on a popular songs melodies and the lyrics are just changed, I dont think this is ok, I mean it depends on the song they change, I say it because here in Mexico its very common to listen a chrisitan song that sounds the same than "oops I did it again" or Welcome to the hotel california and the change the lyrics to welcome Christ ... " ( just to give you an idea of what I mean, not necessarily those songs, it's an example) they funny..

I personally dont listen to this music often, I can find some Christians songs that sound ok but im not a fan of the artist.. -- but if you like it go ahead and listen to it there´s nothing wrong with it , as long as its uplifting and not weird doctrine..

I dont know if is common in the US to listen to chrisitan music that is based on a popular songs melodies and the lyrics are just changed, I dont think this is ok, I mean it depends on the song they change, I say it because here in Mexico its very common to listen a chrisitan song that sounds the same than "oops I did it again" or Welcome to the hotel california and the change the lyrics to welcome Christ ... " ( just to give you an idea of what I mean, not necessarily those songs, it's an example) they funny..

LOL. I HOPE they aren't saying "welcome Christ to the Hotel California", especially if they knew what the 'Hotel California' actually is.

This discussion reminds me of a time I met a man on a plane flying home from a vacation. I asked him what music he was listening to. He told me it was Christian Rock. "Why should the devil get all the good music?" Meaning, why should only mainstream artists have the cool-sounding songs? Why can't a Christian singer play like the popular ones? I thought about what he said after we discuss religion a little more. You know why so many people enjoy the negative messages in popular music? It's because they like the music! I've found myself dancing to music talking about drinking alcohol, going to the clubs, etc. So, why not put a Christian message in popular music? For me, the problem with pop, rock, and whatever other music you like to boogie to mixed with a message about Christ is that it takes away from the message. A song talking about Christ should also sound like Christ, soft and reverent. I particularly don't enjoy Christian Rock and the other genres. I prefer LDS artists. But, it's a preference, and I don't think you should be told you can't listen to anything else with an uplifting message.

This discussion reminds me of a time I met a man on a plane flying home from a vacation. I asked him what music he was listening to. He told me it was Christian Rock. "Why should the devil get all the good music?" Meaning, why should only mainstream artists have the cool-sounding songs? Why can't a Christian singer play like the popular ones? I thought about what he said after we discuss religion a little more. You know why so many people enjoy the negative messages in popular music? It's because they like the music! I've found myself dancing to music talking about drinking alcohol, going to the clubs, etc. So, why not put a Christian message in popular music?

I remember getting a ride home from a classmate. The music she was playing in her car was BEAUTIFUL. Then I started listening to the lyrics and it was a sexual fantasy. She told me she didn't like the lyrics, so she ignored them so she could listen to the music, which she loved. She said that if they had music like that with different lyrics she'd listen to that instead.

..... but back to the subject when I was going to a Pennicostal church I learned a song that I love, that brings me comfort and helps me re- focus in times I need it. It is just a simple verse from the bible but so helpful to me.... Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his rightiousness and all these things shall be added unto you aleleu aleleuia.....The melody and words are simple but the message is huge.. :}

I think I know the same song! I learned it when I was a Lutheran. I actually sang that part you mentioned in a Sacrament talk and in a Relief Society lesson (not in the same wards.) It it a wonderful message with a beautifully soft melody. Thanks for reminding me!

...A song talking about Christ should also sound like Christ, soft and reverent...

I have never pictured Christ as being soft, he's always seemed strong, deliberate, confident, etc. He got physically angry in the Temple. I can see why a variety of music could be dedicated to professing Christ; classical, contemporary, country, R&B, even Hip-hop. If it's got emotion and a great message, it can work.

M.

• 10 years later...