Where are you from?

hordak

So the other day i'm flipping through the channels and i catch the Martha Stewart show for a second. She is inviting a member of the audience up to help and ask her where she is from. She tells Martha she is from Michigan and Martha jumps in with "Detroit? "

The lady tells her no Grand Rapids, and Martha replies with "Near Detroit?" To end the conversation the lady says yes (though a 2 and 1/2 hour drive doesn't qualify as "near" to me).

Do to my wifes career we move around allot the this question "where are you from" comes up quite a bit. Being a "Michigander" everyone responds to my answer like Martha and assumes Detroit or near Detroit. I do realize it is the biggest and most well known city there.

So with such a cross section of people here (many whom may have been away from home on a mission and had the question asked once or twice) i though i could find out if this is unique or is it assumed of most states that all people come from the biggest / most well known city?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When people think of Washington they automaticaly ask about Seattle ... in fact it seems like everything between Portland, OR and Seattle doesn't exist ... even with our loacal media ... we never get a weather report for our area. But then my folks were on a mission and having lunch in a restaurant in Ecuador with a bunch of other couple and the "Where are you from" question comes up ... my dad says you wouldn't know the town but they push so he says Winlock, WA and from across the room a voice says "I know where that is ... they have the giant egg!" ... go figure!

If I'm in the states I'm always specific and say Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; so if one name is not familiar another one might be - it's usually Canada. Something like the "How I met your Mother" episode when Robin is showing her friends news footage of when she started off in Canada (a blizzard in the middle of August :)) and they read "Red Deer" on the screen and her friends are confused so Robin says "Alberta" and they're still confused so then she says "Canada" and then they're not confused anymore. :)

I was in Colorado a while back and someone asked where I was visiting from and I replied Panama City, Florida. And they asked where that was at so I explained that it was in the Panhandle between Tallahassee and Pensacola. And then they said, " You must not be from Florida originally, because I detect a slight southern accent"??????? Florida is in the South.....like Dr. T........I am from L.A........lower Alabama:lol:

If I was to say I came from Garmouth most people would uh? Elgin a few more people may know but to say i am from Scotland, then near Aberdeen or Inverness and most people know where I am talking about but they are over an hour drive away

I was born in a place called Ormskirk and raised in a town called Maghull but usually say Preston or Liverpool

-Charley

I was in Colorado a while back and someone asked where I was visiting from and I replied Panama City, Florida. And they asked where that was at so I explained that it was in the Panhandle between Tallahassee and Pensacola. And then they said, " You must not be from Florida originally, because I detect a slight southern accent"??????? Florida is in the South.....like Dr. T........I am from L.A........lower Alabama:lol:

I have never met an native Floridian while i was there. ( I lived in Tampa for 4 1/2 years).Closest I have come is my wife who's mother had her out of state while visiting family and brought her back at 3 months old. I didn't think they existed.

BTW I don't consider Florida "the south". The further north you go the more "southern" it gets.

When people think of Washington they automaticaly ask about Seattle ... in fact it seems like everything between Portland, OR and Seattle doesn't exist ... even with our loacal media

Amen! It's even worse in eastern WA- folks may not realize this, but eastern WA is literally like a different state compared to western WA. Not only is the geography and climate different, but so are political views and social norms (people have talked about seceding and creating a new state, although if that were to happen, it would be the poorest state in the union). When I'm forced to reply with the "east of Seattle" answer, it doesn't even begin to describe my location :)

I have never met an native Floridian while i was there. ( I lived in Tampa for 4 1/2 years).Closest I have come is my wife who's mother had her out of state while visiting family and brought her back at 3 months old. I didn't think they existed.

BTW I don't consider Florida "the south". The further north you go the more "southern" it gets.

i was born in the fl panhandle, lived there till i was 20....does that count as native? the panhandle is very southern.... i will agree that southern fl (tampa, orlando, miami....) isn't very southern.

I am a Floridian, born and raised and I agree, once you get past Gainesville.......you have left the South. But Panama City is a very southern town,,,,if you didn't see the beach, you would think you lived in Alabama or Georgia

When I was vacationing in Panama City a couple of years ago, I attended church. While at church, I heard some lady, "Psst! Hey you! I remember you from BYU!" She lived in my apartment complex and remembered I had a weird last name and was from Indiana. The church is small!

This post has absolutely nothing to do with the thread...just saw that bytor was from Panama City and that reminded me of that story. Carry on.

Amen! It's even worse in eastern WA- folks may not realize this, but eastern WA is literally like a different state compared to western WA. Not only is the geography and climate different, but so are political views and social norms (people have talked about seceding and creating a new state, although if that were to happen, it would be the poorest state in the union).

We had the same thing in Michigan. "Da yoopers" (people from the Upper Peninsula) are so different from us "trolls" (people who live "below" the Mackinac bridge ). It's like going to Canada or Finland going up there.

Amen! It's even worse in eastern WA- folks may not realize this, but eastern WA is literally like a different state compared to western WA. Not only is the geography and climate different, but so are political views and social norms (people have talked about seceding and creating a new state, although if that were to happen, it would be the poorest state in the union). When I'm forced to reply with the "east of Seattle" answer, it doesn't even begin to describe my location :)

It's funny when I think of Washington I think of Eastern Washington..the tri-cities area since I have relatives that live there. I've been there more than anywhere else in Washington.

Well besides Wenatchee.

Guest Godless

I tell people I'm from California...just living in Texas for a spell :)

Yeah, I'm not a Texan either. I just live here. I'm from Maryland originally. The city I associate myself with bounces back and forth between DC and Baltimore depending on my mood. I lived fairly close to both.